Suns @ Lakers Thursday Playoff game thread 5-27-2021 - Game 3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of the opposite. I had the most anxiety for game 1 and the least for tonight.

I think it is because unfortunatley I now expect a loss tonight, and am just hoping for the best.

I don't. Sure, it could happen but if we're smart enough to not play Paul, I think we have a real chance. If we end up in a close game late, the absence of pre-injury Paul will likely doom us but I'm hoping we'll be up by 20 by then.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Monty counter to the Lakers going big has been to play Saric, which has been a disaster. If the Lakers are going to play Drummond/Gasol, we need to counter with Craig, or someone who can create mismatches, because Saric does nothing to neutralize either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow. This video really flies in the face of the reports that Paul looked better in pre game warmups @CardsSunsDbacks . Man, that clip is painful to watch. Looks like either no strength or no control lifting the ball.

I love CP3 and he’s a warrior but that guy shouldn’t have been anywhere near the court Tuesday night.

The report I heard on the radio was that he looked better during morning shootaround. I had not seen the warmups before the game. He definitely didn't look "better" by pre-game.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't. Sure, it could happen but if we're smart enough to not play Paul, I think we have a real chance. If we end up in a close game late, the absence of pre-injury Paul will likely doom us but I'm hoping we'll be up by 20 by then.

Game 2 had to be emotional for the players. They probably know more about cp3's diagnosis, which could explain why they came out tight in the first half. The second half without cp3, they were like ok we can do this without cp3.

I think they're coming around on what to expect game in and game out. Next on the learning curve, playoff environment while being away. Good thing we are a good away team, and haven't had many long losing streaks which means the team is resilient and can bounce back and win.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So, I’m the only one that saw on the TNT broadcast that Paul couldn’t get his warm up jersey off before tip off without help from a teammate? That’s when I knew we were in trouble. I’m just hoping the Suns make the right decision tonight. Of course I’ll be cheering hard no matter what direction we go.

Go Suns!!!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Monty counter to the Lakers going big has been to play Saric, which has been a disaster. If the Lakers are going to play Drummond/Gasol, we need to counter with Craig, or someone who can create mismatches, because Saric does nothing to neutralize either.

The counter to the Lakers going big should be running them off the floor. Without Paul that should be the plan anyways. Play small and play fast.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The counter to the Lakers going big should be running them off the floor. Without Paul that should be the plan anyways. Play small and play fast.

I like the idea but if the Suns can't rebound it's hard to run. May have to pull out some old SSOL tape.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the idea but if the Suns can't rebound it's hard to run. May have to pull out some old SSOL tape.

Craig is an amazing rebounder. He’s also good off the ball, making the right moves to get himself open. This off the ball movement could help when Booker gets doubled. Just his athleticism and quickness could be an upgrade over Saric.

but he’d actually have to make it on the court to make a difference

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig is an amazing rebounder. He’s also good off the ball, making the right moves to get himself open. This off the ball movement could help when Booker gets doubled. Just his athleticism and quickness could be an upgrade over Saric.

I like Craig. I'm not sure why he is not playing more with Saric not playing well.

The only thing I can think of, Monty hopes he will snap out of his slump.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

but he’d actually have to make it on the court to make a difference

The Lakers are determined to play big. We could use all the rebounding we can muster. If Ayton has another good rebounding game and Craig or someone else steps up to gobble up the rest? That would be HUGE in a series where we are shorthanded.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welp here we go in a few hrs lol loaded bunch bong hits early gonna be rough night no paul probably even if plays not close to healthy :(

Amazing season suns just bad luck on paul

My confidence just low as a fan now only cause it's freaking lakers round 1

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, I’m the only one that saw on the TNT broadcast that Paul couldn’t get his warm up jersey off before tip off without help from a teammate? That’s when I knew we were in trouble. I’m just hoping the Suns make the right decision tonight. Of course I’ll be cheering hard no matter what direction we go.

Go Suns!!!

saw that too. Told my wife he can’t even get out of his warmup jersey without help, precursor to what followed

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

It seems a better strategy than a crippled CP and big Saric minutes!

We also need to utilize our depth. I realize rotations typically shorten during the playoffs, but Book and Cam Payne (realistically our two creators moving foward) are playing hard and heavy minutes with lots of responsibility. It's obvious that the Lakers aim to wear down both with tenacious and aggressive D, and lots of double teams.

We need everyone playing like mad dogs, and I don't see that happening unless some of our bench guys get more minutes.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Paul's just playing to the cameras for the Lakers. We got this. Best road team in the league coming for that Laker ass.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go Suns!!!

my buddy texted me that right before tip off. It was clear he couldn’t play.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think a lot of you are underestimating the lakers and Paul’s loss. The lakers have the best defensive team in the nba. Even with Davis and Lebron missing large stretches of the season. That doesn’t happen by accident. Fans make the mistake of looking at a mediocre offensive team and thinking they aren’t good all the time while not realizing how good they are defensively. This lakers team is a very good defensive team.

now combine that with having two superstars, who are going to get superstar calls. We can complain about that all we want, but that’s been the way of the nba for as long as I’ve watched it.

the rancid cherry on top is Paul’s injury. If/when he plays right now he’s an unfortunate liability. If he doesn’t, as well as Payne has played he is definitely a step back. And that also impacts the play of the rest of the team as well. And it means Moore plays backup minutes which is a step back from Payne playing the backup minutes. Our depth should make the loss of any player not named Booker or Ayton not catastrophic, but it definitely hurts a lot. The fact it’s arguably our best, or co-best, player makes it hurt a lot more.

at full strength I think we would’ve taken this series in 5, maybe 6. Yes, I’ve seen that light. But unless we see (a) a miracle return to health by Paul, (b) the making of an elite level superstar in book and/or Ayton all of a sudden, or (c) a string of games where our squad comes up crazy from the arc, I have to be realistic and recognize the facts and circumstances just didn’t favor us this series.

Mikal could easily play better. If he does, then we win 3 of the next 5 with everything else holding steady.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul was out on the court during shootaround today. This doesn't necessarily mean he should play.

I think he can help this team a lot mentally by being around, telling them how to play certain players and game planning.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It wouldn't be Suns basketball unless EVERYTHING in the universe aligned perfectly against us. Scott Foster is ref tonight and he hates CP3.
Its kind of fun to be back at the "underdog" position. Now we have no expectations. If we lose we all know why?
But...
We have an amazing team here even without CP3, are we as good as a the Lakers? Maybe not. Can we steal a game in a hostile environment? I bet we can.

Lets hope for the return of the "bubble boys" and we rip off a streak of 8 to 16 games in a row.

Im talking to you Dario please be bubble Dario i miss that sob.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
I like Craig. I'm not sure why he is not playing more with Saric not playing well.

The only thing I can think of, Monty hopes he will snap out of his slump.
He’s been in a funk for over a month. If Monty waits any longer we won’t have any games left to play.