2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His deep ball accuracy is incredible and, as another poster mentioned, a lot of offenses have those gimme throws so it’s an apples to apples comparison.
It’s only an apples to apples comparison if the percentage of easy throws are similar or the same. I’ve not seen anyone present that data. So we don’t know if it’s apples to apples or apples to aardvarks at this point.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure if correct but 67% completion is a franchise record? I'm sure Cardinals have had a lot of past quarterbacks dinking & dunking more than K1 so it is pretty impressive tbh

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
It’s only an apples to apples comparison if the percentage of easy throws are similar or the same. I’ve not seen anyone present that data. So we don’t know if it’s apples to apples or apples to aardvarks at this point.

So you’re saying we shouldn’t use completion percentage in general?

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This

We would need to know how many bubble screens other teams threw

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Young was an ultra-efficient, frightening dual-threat quarterback at the collegiate level who could win from inside the pocket and could erupt with his legs thanks to high-level athleticism. That is Murray to a T ... Young could take over a game with pinpoint accuracy or as a scrambler in the NFL. Murray only showed it for one year in college, but I truly believe he has "take over the game" type skills as a refined passer and runner. Young was pretty unique. So is Murray.
https://www.cbssports.com

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So you’re saying we shouldn’t use completion percentage in general?
No. I never said anything of the sort. I’m saying it shouldn’t be viewed in a vacuum. It should be viewed in context. For instance if a QB hits 90% of his screens and 3 yard passes but low percentages elsewhere and throws a disproportionate amount of this screens and 3 yard passes to get to that 67% completion percentage it’s not exactly equal to a guy who hits a consistent 67% on passes of all lengths. Right? Simple logic.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No. I never said anything of the sort. I’m saying it shouldn’t be viewed in a vacuum. It should be viewed in context. For instance if a QB hits 90% of his screens and 3 yard passes but low percentages elsewhere and throws a disproportionate amount of this screens and 3 yard passes to get to that 67% completion percentage it’s not exactly equal to a guy who hits a consistent 67% on passes of all lengths. Right? Simple logic.
Here are the average air yards (average yards past the line of scrimmage the ball is in the air) per completion/per attempt amongst the players mentioned earlier.

Murray - 5.9/7.8
Mahomes - 6.3/8.4
Newton - 5.8/6.8
Brady - 7.1/9.1
Roethlisb. - 4.6/6.9
Tannehill - 7.3/8.4
Ryan - 7.2/8.5
Jackson - 6.6/8.6
Stafford - 6.9/8.7
Wentz - 6.4/8.8

Competitive numbers with those guys, but most of them were at least a little ahead in both air yards attempts and completions. Ultimately I think this somewhat points to him throwing more screens than many QBs, but of course this doesn't detail completion percentage at different levels.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Football outsiders tracks a metric called ALEX (air yards less expected) that is meant to identify empty calorie completions:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2020

Kyler was 6th in ALEX last year. Alex Smith was last among qualifiers.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If that changes in 2021, Murray will be a significant part of the reason why. Kirk said in an appearance on NFL Network this week that he’s seen nothing but improvement from the QB.

“[H]im going into his third year, you just kind of see him taking that next step every single year. And he just keeps on getting better,” Kirk said. “When you first come into the NFL, you’re still trying to learn how things go and just be a pro. And I think he’s made that adjustment really fast.

“So I think for Kyler, he doesn’t put too much pressure on himself. But the main thing is he just wants to win so bad and that’s why you see him getting a little fiery on the sideline, and you see that emotion coming out, just because every time we step on the field, he just wants to win. And that’s what you want from your quarterback.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose