Peter Kings power rankings 5-24-21

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14. Arizona (8-8)

No team added more famous puzzle-pieces—J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, Rodney Hudson, Malcolm Butler—in this offseason than the Cardinals. Makes for good headlines, but when you sign four players with an average age 32 years, 1 month, I‘m not expecting a lot in terms of 2021 production. Hudson, a good NFL center, will likely be the best of the bunch. The Cards will go as far as Kyler Murray will take them. He’s got the tools (DeAndre Hopkins, Rondale Moore and a good-enough job-share in the backfield with Chase Edmonds and James Conner). And Murray is progressing well as an NFL quarterback. But the end to the Cards’ season, a 2-5 disaster blowing a playoff spot, was concerning. The Cards averaged just 17 points a game in those five losses. Kliff Kingsbury needs more consistency out of his offense. On defense, GM Steve Keim is putting his money on Chandler Jones and Watt to form the kind of rush team they would have been four or five years ago. The Arizona season might depend on those two guys not named Murray.

He has the Niners at 5

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-fmia/

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's a bit harsh on the the signing we made.

I'm going to have to invoke PFF again as it's the only tool I can really use here but Malcolm Butler was the 15th best CB in the league last year according to them. He never had a tonne of pace to start off with so he's not reliant on something he's losing. I think he can maintain that level.

JJ Watt was their 7th ranked EDGE. Monster hard worker, I think he's a guy with many years left in him barring injury. That's the main concern with him. Hudson is obviously still a great player.

The main concern is AJ Green. First, can he stay healthy, and second, was it scheme/QB or him that caused the drop off? We will see. But I think all those guys will turn out to be good additions.

The main question for me is how players we already have have developed. Can Simmons take a giant leap forward? Can Jalen Thompson stay healthy and become a solid player at SS? Can Byron Murphy take another step? Can Hump maintain last seasons form? etc etc and of course most importantly can Kyler improve?

I think he's massively overrating the Niners too. They lost some good players on D and most importantly lost Saleh. For all the talk about Shanny's great scheme they have relied heavily on that defense.

DeMeco Ryans only has 2 seasons of coaching experience and now he's a DC. That's going to be a tough ask.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Find the perfection in this statement:

On defense, GM Steve Keim is putting his money on Chandler Jones and Watt to form the kind of rush team they would have been four or five years ago.

Watt the most double-teamed D-end in 2020 and how many sacks did CJ have in 2019?
You are newer so I will clarify my statement. I prefer then the media hype for the Cardinals is low as they have struggled almost every time they have been media darlings. Their best post season run in franchise history came when they were deemed the worst team to ever make the playoffs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are newer so I will clarify my statement. I prefer then the media hype for the Cardinals is low as they have struggled almost every time they have been media darlings. Their best post season run in franchise history came when they were deemed the worst team to ever make the playoffs.

This is a fair point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think it's a bit harsh on the the signing we made.

I'm going to have to invoke PFF again as it's the only tool I can really use here but Malcolm Butler was the 15th best CB in the league last year according to them. He never had a tonne of pace to start off with so he's not reliant on something he's losing. I think he can maintain that level.

JJ Watt was their 7th ranked EDGE. Monster hard worker, I think he's a guy with many years left in him barring injury. That's the main concern with him. Hudson is obviously still a great player.

The main concern is AJ Green. First, can he stay healthy, and second, was it scheme/QB or him that caused the drop off? We will see. But I think all those guys will turn out to be good additions.

The main question for me is how players we already have have developed. Can Simmons take a giant leap forward? Can Jalen Thompson stay healthy and become a solid player at SS? Can Byron Murphy take another step? Can Hump maintain last seasons form? etc etc and of course most importantly can Kyler improve?

I think he's massively overrating the Niners too. They lost some good players on D and most importantly lost Saleh. For all the talk about Shanny's great scheme they have relied heavily on that defense.

DeMeco Ryans only has 2 seasons of coaching experience and now he's a DC. That's going to be a tough ask.

Butler>Peterson. A good upgrade. Sure Peterson didn't have volume his way, but he was bad when the ball was thrown his way. Teams didn't have to though because they could get easy completions across the middle or against Kirkpatrick.

JJ Watt>>>>Angelo Blackson. Hell, JJ Watt is the best DL the Cardinals have had since Calais Campbell, and it isn't that close. Fotu and Lawrence got enough snaps that I'm confident that with Watt, Allen, Fotu, and Lawrence as the primary guys, this should be a good unit.

AJ Green is a concern, but again.....Green>Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was embarrassing at times. What I found alarming about Fitz was how often he whiffed on blocks for Hopkins on bubble screens. He's done, and was done last year. Green is an upgrade pure and simple based on the fact that he is significantly younger.

Now I take umbrage with your comment on Hump....that's stinks of you still not admitting you are wrong on Hump, who was very good last year, but was already trending that way prior. Young tackles don't all of a sudden fall apart. It's not like RB, WR, or CB.

I agree about the Niners. I think they look like they can be good on paper, but I think that some people are giving them TOO MUCH of a pass on their injury concerns. Two major building blocks of theirs, Bosa and Deebo, have significant injury histories. The Niners look paper thin at a number of positions, and like you pointed out, Saleh is a good D-Coordinator.

It's the same thing with the Rams...people are giving them too much of a pass on their loss of Brandon Staley. That kid is a phenomenal D-Coordinator and they have lost MORE defensive talent this year too. And they replaced Staley with a known quantity in Raheem Morris, who has mostly run CRAP defenses in the past.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can't disagree with where we're ranked, although I may have put Pittsburgh and Tennessee over us. Maybe.

Seems about right where I expect us, kinda in the hunt for a wild card in December/late November, but ultimately not making it.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
14. Arizona (8-8)

No team added more famous puzzle-pieces—J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, Rodney Hudson, Malcolm Butler—in this offseason than the Cardinals. Makes for good headlines, but when you sign four players with an average age 32 years, 1 month, I‘m not expecting a lot in terms of 2021 production. Hudson, a good NFL center, will likely be the best of the bunch. The Cards will go as far as Kyler Murray will take them. He’s got the tools (DeAndre Hopkins, Rondale Moore and a good-enough job-share in the backfield with Chase Edmonds and James Conner). And Murray is progressing well as an NFL quarterback. But the end to the Cards’ season, a 2-5 disaster blowing a playoff spot, was concerning. The Cards averaged just 17 points a game in those five losses. Kliff Kingsbury needs more consistency out of his offense. On defense, GM Steve Keim is putting his money on Chandler Jones and Watt to form the kind of rush team they would have been four or five years ago. The Arizona season might depend on those two guys not named Murray.

He has the Niners at 5

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-fmia/

Must be obvious day at camp stupid
Peter King is so lazy, this looks like he pieced this all together from other articles

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Long time NFL media guys and players rightfully have a significant amount of skepticism when it comes to the Cardinals and predicting their success. Generally, things don't work out for the Cardinals long-term. Look at Arians. Great coach. Comes in and generates success. Decides to retire. Comes back with Tampa and wins a Super Bowl.

Historically speaking, the Cardinals have been a cheap franchise, a poorly run franchise, and a losing franchise.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I don’t get the Niners at 5, and he didn’t explain how they take a huge leap from 6-10 to Super Bowl contender beyond Bosa being back. And Jimmy G too, but Niners thought so much of him they gave up the farm to draft his replacement. Seems like he has a hunch they will be better and wants to point back at this to validate how smart he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time NFL media guys and players rightfully have a significant amount of skepticism when it comes to the Cardinals and predicting their success. Generally, things don't work out for the Cardinals long-term. Look at Arians. Great coach. Comes in and generates success. Decides to retire. Comes back with Tampa and wins a Super Bowl.

Historically speaking, the Cardinals have been a cheap franchise, a poorly run franchise, and a losing franchise.

To be fair, if we'd had both a Healthy Carson Palmer and Todd Bowles for 14 and 15, A Super Bowl Trophy may have been in Glendale.

I give Tampa's D the majority of the credit for their win.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t get the Niners at 5, and he didn’t explain how they take a huge leap from 6-10 to Super Bowl contender beyond Bosa being back. And Jimmy G too, but Niners thought so much of him they gave up the farm to draft his replacement. Seems like he has a hunch they will be better and wants to point back at this to validate how smart he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn't just Bosa hurt. Last year they had 22 players out several games with the vast majority being starters or major contributors. In 2019 when they were healthy they strolled to the Superbowl.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Fair point though Michael has definitely given Keim more leeway to spend ca$h in FA & trades unlike his father did when in charge.

It doesn’t help for long term success when your GM struggles drafting. Ugh. Thank goodness for FA or we would be dreadful like the paper bag days lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Find the perfection in this statement:

On defense, GM Steve Keim is putting his money on Chandler Jones and Watt to form the kind of rush team they would have been four or five years ago.

Watt the most double-teamed D-end in 2020 and how many sacks did CJ have in 2019?
Maybe that’s the last time both of them had a great season at the same time?