Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
depends. Utah is losing to the warriors. If Portland beats Utah suns need to win out to get 1.

I can see it now. Jazz look like they’re about to hit a skid so we rest nobody and end up losing to the Spurs to end the season and remain the 2-seed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now. Jazz look like they’re about to hit a skid so we rest nobody and end up losing to the Spurs to end the season and remain the 2-seed.

even better. Jazz lose another, we play everyone, win out, gas the entire team, get the 1 seed only to see the Lakers lose the 7-8 play in game and end up the 8 seed, totally screwing ourselves in the process anyway.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
even better. Jazz lose another, we play everyone, win out, gas the entire team, get the 1 seed only to see the Lakers lose the 7-8 play in game and end up the 8 seed, totally screwing ourselves in the process anyway.
Not too worried about it. The last regular season game is the 16th and the earliest we would play our first playoff game would be the 22nd. Plenty of time to rest up and recharge.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
A bit of love for Cam Payne in Zach Lowe's Luke Walton All Stars column: https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/insider/...all-stars-10-players-starred-their-roles-2021

Payne and his girlfriend dragged six suitcases on the long walk across the border from Hong Kong to China in the fall 2019, just after Payne had signed to play with the Shanxi Loongs in the Chinese Basketball Association.

The walk was at least half a mile, Payne estimates. When they got to their hotel room, they discovered their bags could not fit in it.

"This is why you can't take nothing for granted in the NBA," Payne says. "Appreciate the little things. They can be gone quick." Payne played two games in China before calling his agent, Jason Glushon, and announcing he was coming home. "I'll play in the G League," Payne told Glushon.

The Chicago Bulls had cut Payne in Jan. 2019, two years after landing him in exchange for Doug McDermott, Taj Gibson, and a second-round pick. Payne was sleeping when his agent broke the news. He spent the day in bed. "I was salty," he says.

The Cleveland Cavaliers let him walk after two 10-day contracts. Payne was out of the NBA. Glushon persuaded Payne to play in the next Summer League -- Payne's third stint after the Oklahoma City Thunder selected him No. 14 in 2015. "I did not want to do that again," Payne says. "But if this is our last go-round, let's dig in and finish it."

Summer League led to a camp invite from the Toronto Raptors, but they went another direction. That's when Payne headed to China before signing with the Texas Legends -- the Dallas Mavericks G League team.

Payne averaged 24 points and eight assists for the Legends before the coronavirus shut down sports. As the NBA's restart approached, the Mavericks called with bad news: they were going with Trey Burke over Payne.

"That's gonna be it for me," Payne recalls thinking.

But a second call had come to his agent: How did Payne feel about Monty Williams, the Phoenix Suns' head coach who had gotten to know Payne during his time as an assistant in Oklahoma City? What did Payne think about maybe signing with the Suns?

"What do you think I think?" Payne remembers joking.

During a presigning call, Williams asked Payne if he remembered a conversation at the Thunder's practice facility during Payne's rookie season. It was early in the morning, but Russell Westbrook was already working out. "How bad do you want to play?" Williams asked Payne then. "Beat him to the gym. That's how you stick."

"I listened, but I was young," Payne says. "I didn't put it all in perspective." On the call, Payne assured Williams he was ready for Phoenix.

Payne had no idea if he would play outside garbage time. In the first game, Williams subbed in Payne halfway through the first quarter.

"It's been that six-minute mark ever since," Payne says.

Payne is averaging 8 points and 3.5 assists on 48% shooting -- including 43% from deep. The Suns have outscored opponents by 7.3 points per 100 possessions with Payne on the floor.

He thinks back to that walk to China -- and to one of the first calls he received upon landing in Hong Kong. Sam Presti, the Thunder GM who drafted Payne, had heard about Payne signing in China and called to encourage him. "I'm gonna be paying attention," Presti told him. "You'll find your way back."

He's back -- but not quite all the way. "Not until I sign that next deal," Payne says. [\quote]

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Suns_fan69

It's been a journey for Cam Payne. The Suns need to do every thing they can to keep him.

The addition of Cam Payne and Torrey Craig have been under the radar moves by James Jones that have paid huge dividends.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Suns_fan69

It's been a journey for Cam Payne. The Suns need to do every thing they can to keep him.

The addition of Cam Payne and Torrey Craig have been under the radar moves by James Jones that have paid huge dividends.

Cam Payne needs to be kept long term. I just hope he's not too expensive because we'll need to dip into the MLE to resign him. I would gladly bring him back if he'd sign for $4-6 million a year, something like 3 years and $15 million seems reasonable. Maybe a little higher, like $18 million over 3 years.

That would leave the team with $3 million or so to resign Craig. We would still have the Bi-Annual Exception, which is like $3.5 million, I think. Its going to be a tight offseason. Kaminsky and Nader will also be free agents that we might try and retain. Moore and Galloway are likely goners. Payne will be the most expensive free agent we have but we don't have bird rights on any of our free agents so we'll need to spend our exceptions to retain them.

ETA: We'll have Cam Payne's early bird rights but that will only help if he's willing to resign for a smaller amount. It won't count against our exception though if he signs for 175% of his previous salary, which is $1.98 million. So he'd need to be willing to resign for roughly $3.7 million to start. I think he'll get larger offers on the open market so that kind of kills that idea.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Cam Payne needs to be kept long term. I just hope he's not too expensive because we'll need to dip into the MLE to resign him. I would gladly bring him back if he'd sign for $4-6 million a year, something like 3 years and $15 million seems reasonable. Maybe a little higher, like $18 million over 3 years.

That would leave the team with $3 million or so to resign Craig. We would still have the Bi-Annual Exception, which is like $3.5 million, I think. Its going to be a tight offseason. Kaminsky and Nader will also be free agents that we might try and retain. Moore and Galloway are likely goners. Payne will be the most expensive free agent we have but we don't have bird rights on any of our free agents so we'll need to spend our exceptions to retain them.

ETA: We'll have Cam Payne's early bird rights but that will only help if he's willing to resign for a smaller amount. It won't count against our exception though if he signs for 175% of his previous salary, which is $1.98 million. So he'd need to be willing to resign for roughly $3.7 million to start. I think he'll get larger offers on the open market so that kind of kills that idea.
Payne is about to get PAID. Would not be surprised to see him grab a 3 year, $24M - $30M deal...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keeping Payne and Craig is a must. The Suns need Payne going forward as possible PGOTF with Paul's contract expiring after next season. Keeping Payne and Craig may be costly. Craig can play all three front court positions if necessary.

Kaminsky will probably get paid at least $5 million. Nader is nice depth.

I'm not sure how the Suns can keep everyone and add a rim protector. Suns might have to look at trades although I don't know who that would be at the moment.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne is about to get PAID. Would not be surprised to see him grab a 3 year, $24M - $30M deal...

In today's market that seems fair. It depends a lot on how other teams view Payne.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keeping Payne and Craig is a must. The Suns need Payne going forward as possible PGOTF with Paul's contract expiring after next season. Keeping Payne and Craig may be costly. Craig can play all three front court positions if necessary.

Kaminsky will probably get paid at least $5 million. Nader is nice depth.

I'm not sure how the Suns can keep everyone and add a rim protector. Suns might have to look at trades although I don't know who that would be at the moment.

is it possible CP3 restructures his contract?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let this sink in . . . we win the equivalent of 58 games in an 82 game schedule. They won’t get credit for it when talking about biggest jumps in games. But considering they won 19 two years ago . . . going from a 23% winning percentage to 71% in two years is pretty amazing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Let this sink in . . . we win the equivalent of 58 games in an 82 game schedule. They won’t get credit for it when talking about biggest jumps in games. But considering they won 19 two years ago . . . going from a 23% winning percentage to 71% in two years is pretty amazing.
And to think it started with an 8-8 record. They have been 43-13 since and that is almost a 77% win percentage.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And to think it started with an 8-8 record. They have been 43-13 since and that is almost a 77% win percentage.
And that was due to adding a new point guard into the mix.

It is crazy. It is a team that plays defense. It is a team that plays the type of ball that can be successful in the playoffs. Things seemed to fall our way a lot this year with the avoidance of injury etc--although the depth of this team made it possible to weather mid-tier players losing time and to keep the star players from carrying an extreme load every night.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it possible CP3 restructures his contract?

He can opt out this offseason but he's owed $44 million. The only way I think he opts out is for a fat extension, something like 3 years $100 million. Sure, he loses roughly $10 million next year but I don't see him getting a contract that large on the open market after next season.

Even with Paul agreeing to that, it will be a tight fit. Basically the amount he agrees to reduce his salary next year is how much cap space we could gain, so not very much but possibly enough to bring everyone back happy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can opt out this offseason but he's owed $44 million. The only way I think he opts out is for a fat extension, something like 3 years $100 million. Sure, he loses roughly $10 million next year but I don't see him getting a contract that large on the open market after next season.

Even with Paul agreeing to that, it will be a tight fit. Basically the amount he agrees to reduce his salary next year is how much cap space we could gain, so not very much but possibly enough to bring everyone back happy.
I refuse to think about this stuff right now. I want to focus on the playoffs.