Reaction score
Those Who Wish Me Dead

Release Date: May 14, 2021
Studio: New Line Cinema
Director: Taylor Sheridan
MPAA Rating: R for strong violence, and language throughout
Screenwriters: Taylor Sheridan, Michael Koryta, Charles Leavitt
Genre: Thriller, Action

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Nicholas Hoult, Jon Bernthal, Tyler Perry, Aidan Gillen, Medina Senghore, Finn Little, Jake Weber, James Jordan

Plot Summary: A teenage murder witness finds himself pursued by twin assassins in the Montana wilderness with a survival expert tasked with protecting him -- and a forest fire threatening to consume them all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
This was actually a decent movie.

And the best part of it was that it didn't have the logical leaps that past Angelina Jolie action movies have taken, like her, a 110lb-woman at best, knocking around grown men.

Not much of a spoiler, but when she fights a man, a man with some training at that, she gets her butt whupped. There are also several other actions that were taken by characters that were plain common sense/logical. None of that crap where they'd have people do stupid crap just to get some drama or move the plot (besides the beginning of the movie - you'll see what I am talking about).

The young boy is also a great actor.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was actually a decent movie.

And the best part of it was that it didn't have the logical leaps that past Angelina Jolie action movies have taken, like her, a 110lb-woman at best, knocking around grown men.

Not much of a spoiler, but when she fights a man, a man with some training at that, she gets her butt whupped. There are also several other actions that were taken by characters that were plain common sense/logical. None of that crap where they'd have people do stupid crap just to get some drama or move the plot (besides the beginning of the movie - you'll see what I am talking about).

The young boy is also a great actor.
Yeah I have to agree with all this. I think that can be attributed to Taylor Sheridan.

And the fire itself didn’t dominate the plot, which was a surprise. I read a review that hit it spot on, it feels like a good 90s thriller. I got some Cliffhanger vibes from it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We saw this in the theater today. Really enjoyed it. Makes me want to read the book.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was bloody awful. Could have been good in so many ways but really fell flat. Very much blame the writers on this one. Chekhov's "Bow" was egregious, IMO and in my friend's opinion. Really solid acting, directing, and cinematography that just couldn't save it.

Good point on the fire not dominating the movie, which was nice. Though you can't have the real consequences of a fire and then just plain ignore the real consequences of the fire because "plot reasons."