2021 Schedule

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My youngest son won’t even let me watch the games live. He said I’m a curse. So I have to tape the games & watch them afterwards. Since my son was off at college, I watched a few games live: Detroit, @Seattle, Miami, Patriots, and LAR. Guess what. We lost every single one of them.
maybe you become a Rams fan?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lol. Interesting we both chose the Rams.
I’ve always been a Cardinal fan first, but back in the 60’s, I would root for the Rams when Roman Gabriel was their QB. I still don’t hate the Rams as much as I hate the Seahawks & Niners.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I’ve always been a Cardinal fan first, but back in the 60’s, I would root for the Rams when Roman Gabriel was their QB. I still don’t hate the Rams as much as I hate the Seahawks & Niners.
I have never seen a QB throw the ball so hard on a short pass as Gabriel did to his TE Truax. And Truax caught it most every time. It was crazy.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From my seat...... this schedule hurt us. But I'm always a pessimist.

Some observations:
A previously winnable game in Tennessee seems out of reach to me now. Young LB's vs. Henry & that line. New OC in TN and we wont see any other tape of them prior to gametime. Big energy in their home opener. 10am start to our season. Is Butler vs. Brown really a good matchup for us? Not good stuff.

Minny is our home opener. Cook probably healthy. That teams defense will be better. Pat P revenge game. Tons of Vikings fans at our home opener. Will it be a home game? Not so sure.

Jags - We better win this one. 10am start.

Rams in LA. We probably get rolled. Could be a revenge game for us?

Niners at home - We better win this one. Revenge game for us?

at the Browns - Baker looks for payback. It will be windy in Cleveland in mid October. Chubb & Hunt could go nuts on us.

Home vs Texans. We better crush this game.

TNF home vs Packers on 4 days rest. We probably get rolled.

At the Niners - Winnable. Maybe

Panthers - revenge game. We better win it.

3 more early starts in the final 6 weeks after the bye. Who knows how it plays out but anything better than 3-3 in those games is a blessing at this point.

I see 7 to 9 wins. It's going to be another tight one for playoff possibilities. And honestly, there is a cleaner line to Kliff getting fired that there is to us making the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Understood. Before the cards moved to az I was a Rams fan. The Dickerson Rams were my jam. And I had high hopes for Everett, Ellard and flipper.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
A previously winnable game in Tennessee seems out of reach to me now. Young LB's vs. Henry & that line. New OC in TN

given that Arthur Smith was so well regarded, wouldnt you think that the new one wont be as good?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
given that Arthur Smith was so well regarded, wouldnt you think that the new one wont be as good?
Not as good? Maybe. Zero tape to judge his aptitude? Absolutely.

This could add wrinkles to the gameplan that catch our young defense off guard.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Not as good? Maybe. Zero tape to judge his aptitude? Absolutely.

This could add wrinkles to the gameplan that catch our young defense off guard.

i view the Titans as the opposite of the 49ers: no subtlety, little misdirection -- run the ball and then play action off of it.

if the Cards were opening vs Rams or 49ers: i would worry.

Titans -- they make it a physical match more than a mental one.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Home team is given a 3 point advantage. On a neutral field the Cardinals would be favored.

Welcome to basic betting
Welcome to 2013!

That's the last time home teams outscored away teams by 3 points per game in the regular season (3.2 to be exact), and even then the average betting line favored home teams by 2.8.

In 2014, the average point differential was -2.5, which matched the average betting line.

In 2015 the points differential was -1.4, the betting line -2.2.

In 2016 the point differential was -2.7, the betting line -2.1.

In 2017 the point differential was -2.7, the betting line -2.0.

In 2018 the point differential was -2.2, the betting line -2.4.

In 2019, away teams actually outscored home teams, 5837-5831 (though home teams won 133 games vs. 122, with one tie). The betting line was -2.0.

And in 2020, a year with even further diminished HFA, home teams were again outscored 6351-6350, with a losing 125-130-1 record, while the betting line fell to - 1.2.

...dave

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.nflbetting.net/guide/nf...ome team is,a 3-point advantage automatically.

What Certain Point Spreads Mean

Usually, a home team is seen as having a 3-point advantage automatically. So if you see a spread where the home team is listed at -3.0 or -3.5, then the handicappers consider the two clubs to be fairly evenly matched. If the home team is around -7, that means they are a favorite and if they are at -10 or greater, then they are seen as being a strong favorite.

If a home team is being given points, that means they are a true underdog. The higher they are on the plus side, the larger their underdog status. Anytime a home team is at +10 or higher and the visiting team at -10 or higher, then the disparity between the clubs is considered to be large.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We have a brutal schedule this season

fortunately our road games are against our weakest opponents

this team has to grow up fast or the future is all bad for everyone

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Apart from time differences does the travel aspect really matter now? It's not like they are flying coach or busing it.

It's all luxury private jets now with top class entertainment. Tennessee is less than a 3 hour flight. Watch a movie, play Madden etc.
I'm a reasonably in-shape guy, and I have issues with the altitude/pressure when it comes to swelling in my legs.

Is flying coach that different from flying on the Patriots' private plane? Imagine being well over 6'0 and sitting on this with 53 similarly sized dudes, alongside equipment, coaching, management...

You must be registered for see images attach

And then consider much of the league has chartered flights, so nowhere near anything this nice, just leftover space on an airliner.

Not everyone's rolling in there with planes for six packed with Dom Perignon.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well now, welcome to 2011. That's when that article was first posted.
http://web.archive.org/web/20110925042313/http://nflbetting.net/guide/nfl-point-spread/

If you really believe NFL oddsmakers today give home teams a 3-point advantage automatically, you're living in the past. Overall home field advantage has been diminishing significantly over the last decade. NFL oddsmakers know this. Of course, they also know the advantages specific to each home and road team, and most of the key players. E.g. Drew Brees had a huge differential between his home and road performances. And of course, there's a different number for warm-weather teams playing in the cold, dome / turf teams playing outdoors / on natural grass, etc.

But the bottom line is that you were incorrect when you stated:
Incorrect. Home team is given a 3 point advantage. On a neutral field the Cardinals would be favored.

Welcome to basic betting

This graph shows that Vegas oddsmakers haven't EVER really given home teams 3 points, though it was close enough between 1990 and 2008 that I wouldn't have quibbled with the number:

[The image is from this article, which is focused on 2020 but also addresses longer-term trends:
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/...fs-home-field-advantage-covid-19-restrictions]

Welcome, now, to 2021. Just keepin' it real!

...dbs

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a reasonably in-shape guy, and I have issues with the altitude/pressure when it comes to swelling in my legs.

Is flying coach that different from flying on the Patriots' private plane? Imagine being well over 6'0 and sitting on this with 53 similarly sized dudes, alongside equipment, coaching, management...

And then consider much of the league has chartered flights, so nowhere near anything this nice, just leftover space on an airliner.

Not everyone's rolling in there with planes for six packed with Dom Perignon.

The Pats jet has 1st class seats with 5 inches extra leg room. Plus it has about 150 of them. I think I'd survive.

But your right, I didn't realize teams weren't flying private. Seem's shortsighted, especially for west coast teams. The Pat's jets cost $5.5m, and sure they cost a bunch to maintain and fuel etc but that's small fry to an NFL team. If I'm Bidwill I'd have one of these kitted out to make travelling as pain free as possible.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Pats jet has 1st class seats with 5 inches extra leg room. Plus it has about 150 of them. I think I'd survive.

But your right, I didn't realize teams weren't flying private. Seem's shortsighted, especially for west coast teams. The Pat's jets cost $5.5m, and sure they cost a bunch to maintain and fuel etc but that's small fry to an NFL team. If I'm Bidwill I'd have one of these kitted out to make travelling as pain free as possible.
This sounds like humblebragging, but I'm friends with a lot of former NFL players (I think one active), and I just know how funky this is for your 6'7 OL guy who begins as a backup but becomes an elite starting tackle compared to a 5'9 CB who played a year for our Cardinals. (The OT didn't play for us, btw.)

Of course it's much better than anyone else has it, but it's not perfect. Just, fly from Vegas to NYC and tell me how easy it is, much less be at peak performance to go hit people in the face earlier than we start our days on the computer.

That sounds confrontational, I think, I didn't mean it to be, haha.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just speaking about the opener, and Las Vegas indicates that it should be a close game. Could go either way. That's all points does for me, since I'm not a better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose