Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 5-9-2021

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, that’s the look when you get demolished and turn around and blame the refs.

Idk just a difference of views. I don’t really say anything online I wouldn’t say to someone if I seen them in person.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Idk just a difference of views. I don’t really say anything online I wouldn’t say to someone if I seen them in person.
I get that. But these are professional athletes. They’re public figures. They also represent the city/ geographic area of their teams. It’s kind of what they sign up for and get paid millions of dollars to deal with.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Well, that’s the look when you get demolished and turn around and blame the refs.
Hence them suggesting it's on them for letting the refs get to them. Taking responsibility for their actions. The refs can in fact call a favorable game for the opposing team and the players getting screwed had every right to feel slighted, but they have to fight through it and that is what they are taking responsibility for, not fighting through it like they should have.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hence them suggesting it's on them for letting the refs get to them. Taking responsibility for their actions. The refs can in fact call a favorable game for the opposing team and the players getting screwed had every right to feel slighted, but they have to fight through it and that is what they are taking responsibility for, not fighting through it like they should have.
I suppose you could infer that, but they never really said that. Here’s the statement from the tweet:

“Devin Booker and Cameron Payne said refs got to the team tonight.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ******* gets so many people up in arms, I’ll just call them whiners. If you have a problem with that, I don’t know what to tell you.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I suppose you could infer that, but they never really said that. Here’s the statement from the tweet:

If ******* gets so many people up in arms, I’ll just call them whiners. If you have a problem with that, I don’t know what to tell you.
Watch the interviews and then tell me that they are blaming the refs for the loss. Doesn't sound like they were putting the blame on the refs, but that they let themselves get caught up in what the refs were calling instead of punching the Lakers back. Seems like they understand it's on them that they lost.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get that. But these are professional athletes. They’re public figures. They also represent the city/ geographic area of their teams. It’s kind of what they sign up for and get paid millions of dollars to deal with.

oh that’s 100% not true. Just because you buy a ticket or watch a game doesn’t give you the right to degrade someone. Are you ok with the racist stuff that gets said in Utah or Boston?

I mean if you are that’s cool that’s you.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watch the interviews and then tell me that they are blaming the refs for the loss. Doesn't sound like they were putting the blame on the refs, but that they let themselves get caught up in what the refs were calling instead of punching the Lakers back. Seems like they understand it's on them that they lost.

It’s funny because everybody here knows the Lakers do indeed get all the calls it’s just super star treatment that’s been complained about on this board forever. It comes with the NBA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah listening to the interview it sounds more like that. Hope they don’t let refs take them outta their game in the playoffs bc this team isn’t going to be on the plus side of the fouls ledger in all likelihood.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
oh that’s 100% not true. Just because you buy a ticket or watch a game doesn’t give you the right to degrade someone. Are you ok with the racist stuff that gets said in Utah or Boston?

I mean if you are that’s cool that’s you.
No. But there’s a wide difference between degrading someone based on their race and calling them a generally applicable name based on their actual play. Conflating the two is a terrible argument on your part.

and doing so on an internet chat board about the team is a far cry from directing it at an individual in person, which is the case when you buy a ticket. So also a terrible argument.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How in the hell did Ayton play 33 minutes and take only 3 shots?

The main way he gets shots is by the Suns trying to force lob passes to him. That's really his only effective play, and even it has a pretty low success rate. A well-coached team anticipates the lob and guards against it, reducing the Suns to a 4-on-5 offense.

Remember all of those pre-draft highlights of Ayton displaying a range of offensive skills? He even had them his rookie year. But they're gone now. He's terrified of the ball and desperate to get rid of it as soon as he touches it. He's even worse than Bender in that regard.

Speaking of Bender, if the Suns are desperate for another big, they could do worse than to give him another look. He's been flat-out awful in his attempt to play in the NBA so far, but he's still only 23, and at this point I'm not sure he's a worse prospect than Ayton. At least Bender has some shooting range and is still, in spite of his struggles, trying to find ways to compete.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s funny because everybody here knows the Lakers do indeed get all the calls it’s just super star treatment that’s been complained about on this board forever. It comes with the NBA.
Yup. But the players know that as well so they have no choice but to rise above it if they are going to prevail.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Also, "bitch" is (historically) a gender-specific word, so using it to insult a male implies an undercurrent of misogyny.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The main way he gets shots is by the Suns trying to force lob passes to him. That's really his only effective play, and even it has a pretty low success rate. A well-coached team anticipates the lob and guards against it, reducing the Suns to a 4-on-5 offense.

Remember all of those pre-draft highlights of Ayton displaying a range of offensive skills? He even had them his rookie year. But they're gone now. He's terrified of the ball and desperate to get rid of it as soon as he touches it. He's even worse than Bender in that regard.

Speaking of Bender, if the Suns are desperate for another big, they could do worse than to give him another look. He's been flat-out awful in his attempt to play in the NBA so far, but he's still only 23, and at this point I'm not sure he's a worse prospect than Ayton. At least Bender has some shooting range and is still, in spite of his struggles, trying to find ways to compete.
Wow. Even as frustrated as I am with Ayton I couldn’t bring myself to equate him to bender.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow. Even as frustrated as I am with Ayton I couldn’t bring myself to equate him to bender.

Ayton has other skills that Bender never did, obviously. But their sheer panic at being involved in the offense is pretty darn similar.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. But there’s a wide difference between degrading someone based on their race and calling them a generally applicable name based on their actual play. Conflating the two is a terrible argument on your part.

and doing so on an internet chat board about the team is a far cry from directing it at an individual in person, which is the case when you buy a ticket. So also a terrible argument.

again I disagree. Questioning someone’s manhood is just as bad. I have no idea your background or who you grew up with or who you hang out with now, but me and mine you call someone a “bitch” you gotta be prepared for what’s gonna comeback.

And again you say it’s different cause your on an internet message board but that goes back to me not saying anything here I wouldn’t say to someone’s face.

We’re just raised different that’s all not better not worse just different

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, "bitch" is (historically) a gender-specific word, so using it to insult a male implies an undercurrent of misogyny.

you’re 100% right. It’s a slur I deleted from my vocabulary in regards to women who I despise (people like Boebert/Greene) years ago because of the above. It should and will be deleted in this context moving forward as well.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t think it carries a gender-specific connotation in this usage. No one is mistaking cheese’s comments with claiming the suns are women. In fact, no women are involved in this conversation at all. Imo this is how the right weakens the lefts legitimate claims about race or misogyny - by claiming it when it’s not applicable.

think about the two usages of the word “bitch”:

1. an unreasonably mean or nasty woman

2. a female dog

which one would fit the context here? I think inarguably the latter. It’s almost akin to saying they’re acting like dogs. So no context to women.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has other skills that Bender never did, obviously. But their sheer panic at being involved in the offense is pretty darn similar.

no...no it’s not and it’s not even close. Stop your jumping the shark

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Generally I agree with this. But Ayton’s other skills, when actually activated, are so far beyond benders so as to render any meaningful comparison of them as players moot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
again I disagree. Questioning someone’s manhood is just as bad. I have no idea your background or who you grew up with or who you hang out with now, but me and mine you call someone a “bitch” you gotta be prepared for what’s gonna comeback.

And again you say it’s different cause your on an internet message board but that goes back to me not saying anything here I wouldn’t say to someone’s face.

We’re just raised different that’s all not better not worse just different
I don’t see it as questioning their manhood I see it as pointing out they’re submitting, like a dog, to the superiority of another. Most women that have been called “bitch” do just the opposite of submitting. Hence my prior post.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think it carries a gender-specific connotation in this usage. No one is mistaking cheese’s comments with claiming the suns are women. In fact, no women are involved in this conversation at all. Imo this is how the right weakens the lefts legitimate claims about race or misogyny - by claiming it when it’s not applicable.

think about the two usages of the word “bitch”:

1. an unreasonably mean or nasty woman

2. a female dog

which one would fit the context here? I think inarguably the latter. It’s almost akin to saying they’re acting like dogs. So no context to women.

It had nothing to do with right or left. If we’re in a bar and you call me a bitch I’m going to crack you in the mouth

calling someone a bitch 100% implies there acting less than a man. You know that.

but hey if your ok with someone calling YOU that then that’s you. Like I said just different that’s all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave