Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 5-9-2021

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really depressing.

feel like the season is effectively over.

it’s why I hate the Lakers matchup so much. I have been so looking forward to the playoffs after this long, watching to see if we could squeeze through a run the WCF depending on seeding.

if we end up matched with the Lakers, I will dread the playoffs. That sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns defense has had to collapse around Lakers big men giving them good looks from outside.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we win 1 game in a series against the Lakers I’ll be surprised.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
okay. You’re wrong. He’s actually been the only consistent scorer for the team in the last 8 games.

that’s not to say I even disagree with your opinion of him. He’s not a superstar. He’s an All-Star. So is Paul. The problem is they need Ayton to be an All-Star player too in order to compete with the two best teams in the league... the Lakers and Nets, who have superstars and solid rosters otherwise.

but they have made an INCREDIBLE jump from worst team in the league two years ago to a top 5 team in the league. That’s quite a feat. Bumping up to the next level though is the hardest and I’m not sure how they do that in the off-season. But I won’t rule it out.

I just hate that the Lakers are likely going to be our first round opponent. Would have been great to get a series win under the team’s belt after a year like this.
We’re on the same wave-length... I’m beyond impressed with the job Jones and Monty have done. This isn’t our season, our regular season not withstanding.
However, next season we will rightfully be expected to make a serious post-season run. The pressure on Jones will be the highest he’s had as a GM. He will need to make all the right moves in order to allow this team to continue to progress and fulfill the huge expectations they’ll face next year...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it’s why I hate the Lakers matchup so much. I have been so looking forward to the playoffs after this long, watching to see if we could squeeze through a run the WCF depending on seeding.

if we end up matched with the Lakers, I will dread the playoffs. That sucks.

It’s pretty much a lock at this point unless they lose in the play in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they play like this in the playoffs, our run will last about 4 games

and this is without the best player in basketball, their starting PG and their best sixth man.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re on the same wave-length... I’m beyond impressed with the job Jones and Monty have done. This isn’t our season, our regular season not withstanding.
However, next season we will rightfully be expected to make a serious post-season run. The pressure on Jones will be the highest he’s had as a GM. He will need to make all the right moves in order to allow this team to continue to progress and fulfill the huge expectations they’ll face next year...

agreed. It just would have been so nice to at least have A LITTLE postseason fun!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am. I brought up the lack of effort because there was a complete lack of effort. This team has had a horrid problem of uneven effort through the season (an issue with a good young team that knows its a good team)

This is not an either/or statement here - when you play a team that is a bad matchup for you (like the lakers are) you can't start with a crap effort.
I don’t disagree with that point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest question facing this team in the off-season revolves around Ayton. And I have no idea what the answer is.

He’s going to end the season on a pretty pathetic run and then likely get crushed in the playoffs. How do you give that guy an extension? And at what amount of money?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an up and under by Payne.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. No one expected much of jones in the past. Whatever our result this postseason, everyone is going to be looking at jones with the question: how do you get this team to the next level?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers should win out if they don't rest players.

the Lakers have to win out and Blazers need to drop two. We play them. That could be one. They also play at Utah. That could be too.

but I don’t know if the Lakers can really win out. Their schedule isn’t THAT tough, but I don’t expect them to play all their guys on their last two back to backs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Agreed. No one expected much of jones in the past. Whatever our result this postseason, everyone is going to be looking at jones with the question: how do you get this team to the next level?
Yep... and like Cheese said, the answer to that question starts with Ayton. If Ayton himself can’t take a serious leap forward, nothing else Jones does will matter much. Right now, it is entirely appropriate to possess bigtime concern with Ayton and the limiting effect he is having on this team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could have used more from Ayton (2) tonight.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Booker's coming back in, so that will be it for the Suns' run. Expect a host of bad decisions on the offensive end in particular.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig reportedly has ice on his knee. The Suns need him down the stretch.