OT DK Metcalf wants to be in the Olympics

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
But I'm not sure you can change that much in one year even if you took every steroid there is. And at some point in there he had a neck injury that had to derail his training for months. I just can't believe that skinny picture was about a year before his last year of college.

He had a good looking frame to add muscle from that early photo. Not sure how fast it happened but he looked about 240 his last year at Ole Miss. I think he was too bulky and it made him stiff.... At the combine he measured 228 and ran a 4.33.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may be a freak, but no way can he carry an extra 20-30 pounds over the other sprinters and have a chance of competing with them.

Um, isn't that what Usain did for all these years?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, isn't that what Usain did for all these years?

not really he’s an inch taller and almost 25 lbs lighter. The extra inch and 25 lbs makes a difference imo. He’s bigger then your average sprinter but not Metcalf big.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really he’s an inch taller and almost 25 lbs lighter. The extra inch and 25 lbs makes a difference imo. He’s bigger then your average sprinter but not Metcalf big.

My point wasn't in comparing Usain and DK, it was comparing Usain and his closest competitors throughout his reign. Usain was carrying 20-25 extra pounds over Justin Gatlin for example. 6'5" 207 vs 6'1" 183.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My point wasn't in comparing Usain and DK, it was comparing Usain and his closest competitors throughout his reign. Usain was carrying 20-25 extra pounds over Justin Gatlin for example. 6'5" 207 vs 6'1" 183.
Those 4" in height make a huge difference. Bolt typically wasn't the quickest off the line, but had crazy long strides and an insane top speed.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Those 4" in height make a huge difference. Bolt typically wasn't the quickest off the line, but had crazy long strides and an insane top speed.

Usain took 42 steps to complete the 100. 2nd place? 44.

If you want to learn about speed Google Ryan Flaherty the "Savant of speed." Who has worked with the AZ Cardinals. His interview with Tim Ferriss is extremely interesting if you do any type of coaching or self improvement as it relates to athletics.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently several of the sprinters he'll run against on Sunday are saying while they have nothing against Metcalf, they can't wait to show him he's out of his element tomorrow. Most are saying his big issue will be the start, running a 40 is not anything like a real 100M start from the blocks, he's a big guy to begin with so lack of familiarity with starting will probably result in him being way behind early.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He’s should be decent coming out of the blocks (not amazing). He was a pretty high level hurdler in high school, so coming out of the blocks is not foreign to him.

Running a 10.5 would be a great accomplishment for him (and he could do it). He won’t have a chance to respectably compete in the meet if he can’t run sub 10.2.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He lost a few tenths of a second by not leaning...actually got it off the blocks fairly well.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No wonder how he caught up with Budda that saved a pick-six and the incoming touchdown. Man I hate that play.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
10.36 at 235lb is superb. He was always going to be in the back of the field but he wasn't too far off at all of guys 40lb lighter.

He is 40/50 pound heavier then other runners
At 205 lb he can be a 9.90 guy i think

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is 40/50 pound heavier then other runners
At 205 lb he can be a 9.90 guy i think

He could still make the Olympics if he wears a wig and calls himself Donna Karen Metcalf. Its all the rage.

10.36 would be a WR by some way.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was respectable. He’s near world class speed. I’m sure if he trained seriously he could run 10.1 maybe 10- flatish...

He's fast as a human being but not that fast as a sprinter IMO. He admitted after the race he'd been training for nearly 3 months. Ato Boldon had predicted he'd run around a 10.6, said he was impressed with the 10.37 but said that's because nobody knew he'd been sprint training for 12 weeks. In the finals of the event he ran the prelim in the winner ran a 9.96 which is the fifth fastest 100M run this year in the world. 10.37 ties for the 189th fastest time in the world this year. Jeff Demps who played football at Florida ran a 10.37 this year in April but if you look a week earlier he ran a 10.23 which is his fastest time this year. So DK is not quite as fast as a really fast football player who has been running pro track for a few years and is 31.

Again Metcalf is a VERY fast human being but it's VERY unlikely he could qualify for the Olympic trials let alone make the olympics.

Not at all embarassing and frankly faster than I expected he'd run.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw this on tv and googled it to be sure it's true and it is. In the Texas 6A HS 100 meter finals this year, in Highschool, the top 7 runners all beat Metcalf's time, the 7th was a 10.28. The winner had the 3rd fastest time in HS history. The wind was over allowed it was 5.7 so clearly that makes a difference but it explains what I mean. There's several guys in HS in the state of Texas who can beat Metcalf in the 100 meters, same with Florida.

Very fast, not quite as fast as world class.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s impressive. Look at his size compared to the other guys. Those sprinters who couldn’t wait to teach him a lesson should just be happy he plays football as I’m not sure he wouldn’t smoke them if he dedicated purely to sprinting.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He's fast as a human being but not that fast as a sprinter IMO. He admitted after the race he'd been training for nearly 3 months. Ato Boldon had predicted he'd run around a 10.6, said he was impressed with the 10.37 but said that's because nobody knew he'd been sprint training for 12 weeks. In the finals of the event he ran the prelim in the winner ran a 9.96 which is the fifth fastest 100M run this year in the world. 10.37 ties for the 189th fastest time in the world this year. Jeff Demps who played football at Florida ran a 10.37 this year in April but if you look a week earlier he ran a 10.23 which is his fastest time this year. So DK is not quite as fast as a really fast football player who has been running pro track for a few years and is 31.

Again Metcalf is a VERY fast human being but it's VERY unlikely he could qualify for the Olympic trials let alone make the olympics.

Not at all embarassing and frankly faster than I expected he'd run.
I still think he can run faster. Staying in his drive phase longer and leaning are two ways he could shave another tenth to 2 tenths off his time. Additionally, he would get better with more races under his belts as well. No amount of training can substitute for races. I am pretty impressed.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think he can run faster. Staying in his drive phase longer and leaning are two ways he could shave another tenth to 2 tenths off his time. Additionally, he would get better with more races under his belts as well. No amount of training can substitute for races. I am pretty impressed.

Oh I'm sure he can but at a certain point improvements in sprints get smaller and smaller as you fine tune the mechanics of running.

I think he can get faster but I don't think he can get fast enough to qualify for the Olympics which he said was his goal. I actually didn't think he was serious I thought he was just trying to get some publicity but finding out he trained for nearly 12 weeks makes me think he was serious.

He apparently has said he won't go any further he has to get ready for training camp now and realizes sprint training is not the way to do that.

I give him lots of credit for that, he's not going to let this sidetrack his NFL career

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose