OT: oh man.....broncos may not have to pay this contract

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol

I have no sympathy. First because he's an injury magnet but because the skipping voluntary workouts thing has been nothing but a ploy by the NFLPA that has put players at risk of this exact thing and it was stupid.

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol

I have no sympathy. First because he's an injury magnet but because the skipping voluntary workouts thing has been nothing but a ploy by the NFLPA to that has put players at risk of this exact thing and its was stupid.

I can't argue with this line of thinking. If the players were working out at team facilities for OTA's then the team would be on the hook. Hard lesson learned if it goes down like that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lol

I have no sympathy. First because he's an injury magnet but because the skipping voluntary workouts thing has been nothing but a ploy by the NFLPA that has put players at risk of this exact thing and its was stupid.
Somewhat this. The union should be 100% forced to pay this man his money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is on James. When you have an injury history like he does you stay working out with the team

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This is why you should always read every word of the terms of your contract. He probably relied on his agent and never actually read the entire contract himself. I would imagine things like this are part of the contracts any player signs. If he knew he should have okayed it with the team first.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why you should always read every word of the terms of your contract. He probably relied on his agent and never actually read the entire contract himself. I would imagine things like this are part of the contracts any player signs. If he knew he should have okayed it with the team first.

I bet he knew. If you’re an NFL player and you don’t have injury insurance you’re probably not making wise decisions. Especially if you plan on doing ANY KIND of physical activity not team related.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a term in every contract. Every player must surely know if they get hurt away from the team that their salary isn't guaranteed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Weren't people mad at Jordan Phillips for not working out on his own this last off season?

welcome to NFL fans on internet message board. Guy says his newborn daughter is his number 1 priority in a pandemic and it’s complain he’s not football all the time

guy gets hurt working out on his own and it’s why you working out on your own.

never have I seen so many middle class people just hate the worker and side with management

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is more to this story than we are getting. Players are expected to report physically ready to perform. If they aren't training in the off season, they aren't doing their job.

That said, contracts prohibit certain activities. If James hurt himself doing something that is proscribed then he has denied the Bronco's his services.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right. Teams expect players to stay in shape and if a player does get injured doing so they will normally look after them.

The difference here is the NFLPA were telling players to stay away to make a point and now teams can make a point right back.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right. Teams expect players to stay in shape and if a player does get injured doing so they will normally look after them.

The difference here is the NFLPA were telling players to stay away to make a point and now teams can make a point right back.

glad to see those uppity players get what’s coming to them

amiright...huh...huh guys

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if he wasn't working out at all to protect his contract? How would the fans feel about that?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if he was doing something he shouldn’t be doing and knows but is just lying saying he was working out? To try hopefully cover his ass? How would fans feel about that?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if he was doing something he shouldn’t be doing and knows but is just lying saying he was working out? To try hopefully cover his ass? How would fans feel about that?

Fans are going hate.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Player drives out of facility, stops to get gas, steps out of car and trips. While doing so, he tears his ACL and is done for the season. Can they cut him and not pay him?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he did this at a gym, there is most likely video and/or witnesses.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This guy has only played a handful of games for Denver, sat out last year, and now was towing the union line while collecting millions.

honestly? Yes.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So what’s the message? Don’t work out unless you are at the team facility? That’s dumb, anyone mocking this guy is a clown, he was trying to workout on his own time to be ready for the season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The guy went from working out at the team facilities before voluntary work outs to working out privately when he should. Just because the NFLPA were trying to prove some point.

The NFLPA just negotiated a new CBA a year ago. If they had an issue that is the time to take it up. If you sign the CBA you live with what you signed.

What you don't do is sign the CBA then bitch about it.

Now the players have every right to not work out for voluntary workouts, but teams also have every right to not pay them if they injure themselves. That's how contracts work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose