State Of The Team

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the deficiencies on this team. First defense.
Cb. Alford. We are counting on friggin Alford as our #1 cb.
Suddenly a rookie mlb is going to be all pro without even putting on a jersey?
Suddenly Watts is going to be healthy for an entire year?
CJ will absolutely bounce back to his all pro form? Remember until his injury he was a ghost.
VJ. Suddenly he will become a
Premier DC?

Offense.
RB. Two running backs that are NOT capable of playing 17 games. Of course we have Ward who obviously is headed to Canton based on his ONE play last year. Guess we were keeping him as our secret weapon for the 2021 season.
QB. I think Murray will improve again this year but god forbid he misses ANY games. Colt McCoy???? I believe any team that loses their starting QB will struggle, but Colt McCoy???
WR. We are counting on Green to be rejuvenated after coming off perhaps his worse season?Not to mention missing the prior year and a terrible season before that. He hasn’t been a threat since 2017. If Hopkins gets hurt we become a Ford Pinto offense.
Rondale Moore. Here’s hoping he turns into the guy from 2018. Cause if he doesn’t this wr room is no better than last year.
Coaching. Believe it or not I think Kliff is “ ok”. Perhaps because the nightmares that still linger from Wilks. A different FG kicker would have gotten us into the playoffs. I don’t think Kingsbury will be the reason we fail.
The West. It’s no accident the Rams, Seahawks and 49ers are ranked 7,8,9 in power rankings and we are 16. I know power rankings doesn’t mean crap but it does show perception.

On paper this club appears to have improved but its built on a foundation of toothpicks.

I’ve been a perennial kool -aid drinker for a long time. I am not hoping for doom. I hope I’m not here in December saying I told you so. I will gladly eat a huge serving of crow. But history has shown. When predicting the plight of this team when you see rainbows you will be wrong 95% of the time.

Sorry. I see 6 wins and last place.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could be 11-6 or could be 6-11. The AARP guys need to stay healthy. Can the 2 RBs play a majority of the season? Can KM stay healthy?

Can KK coach his way out of a paper bag? Will he suffer from shrinking sack in big moments again? Can VJ coach and PLAY rookies?

Can their corners cover anyone?? Or will they be guys off the street by the middle of the season?

Can Isabella....oh hell, never mind....

I lean toward a heartbreaking 6-11 result. Game day threads should be fun.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Look at the deficiencies on this team. First defense.
Cb. Alford. We are counting on friggin Alford as our #1 cb.
Suddenly a rookie mlb is going to be all pro without even putting on a jersey?
Suddenly Watts is going to be healthy for an entire year?
CJ will absolutely bounce back to his all pro form? Remember until his injury he was a ghost.
VJ. Suddenly he will become a
Premier DC?

Offense.
RB. Two running backs that are NOT capable of playing 17 games. Of course we have Ward who obviously is headed to Canton based on his ONE play last year. Guess we were keeping him as our secret weapon for the 2021 season.
QB. I think Murray will improve again this year but god forbid he misses ANY games. Colt McCoy???? I believe any team that loses their starting QB will struggle, but Colt McCoy???
WR. We are counting on Green to be rejuvenated after coming off perhaps his worse season?Not to mention missing the prior year and a terrible season before that. He hasn’t been a threat since 2017. If Hopkins gets hurt we become a Ford Pinto offense.
Rondale Moore. Here’s hoping he turns into the guy from 2018. Cause if he doesn’t this wr room is no better than last year.
Coaching. Believe it or not I think Kliff is “ ok”. Perhaps because the nightmares that still linger from Wilks. A different FG kicker would have gotten us into the playoffs. I don’t think Kingsbury will be the reason we fail.
The West. It’s no accident the Rams, Seahawks and 49ers are ranked 7,8,9 in power rankings and we are 16. I know power rankings doesn’t mean crap but it does show perception.

On paper this club appears to have improved but its built on a foundation of toothpicks.

I’ve been a perennial kool -aid drinker for a long time. I am not hoping for doom. I hope I’m not here in December saying I told you so. I will gladly eat a huge serving of crow. But history has shown. When predicting the plight of this team when you see rainbows you will be wrong 95% of the time.

Sorry. I see 6 wins and last place.
I feel like I am skeptical as any about this team but this seems overblown.

Regarding the NFC West...I question those who feel like we have more question marks than any other team in our division.

Rams - go look at the OL and their defensive personnel outside of their front 4 and Jalen Ramsey. Also, new DC.

Seattle - again, look at their OL and they have a new OC. Also, their defensive personnel is the worst in the division.

49ers - First time DC and have a rookie behind the fragile Jimmy G. Their secondary is as or more questionable than ours.

So, we have arguably the best OL, the 2nd best QB, the best WR, the 2nd best interior DL player, arguably the best edge player, the best LB corp, arguably the best S, and maybe the 2nd best CB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
8-9 wins. 10 if we're luckier than we should be with injuries.

Even with the extra game?

This is where I am also. Even with the extra game (Loss to Cleveland).

7-10 to 10-7 is our range IMO with 8-9 or 9-8 being our most reasonable outcomes.

3-3 in division.
Home against:
Green Bay - Odds are an L
Houston - W probably
Indy - Toss up
Minny - Toss up
Carolina - Odds are a W

On the Road:
Dallas - Toss up
Cleveland - Odds are an L
Chicago - Toss up
Detroit - Odds are a W
Jacksonville - Odds are a W
Tennessee - Odds are an L

Our schedule is much tougher than last year. Especially on the road.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Regarding the NFC West...I question those who feel like we have more question marks than any other team in our division.

Rams - go look at the OL and their defensive personnel outside of their front 4 and Jalen Ramsey. Also, new DC.

Seattle - again, look at their OL and they have a new OC. Also, their defensive personnel is the worst in the division.

49ers - First time DC and have a rookie behind the fragile Jimmy G. Their secondary is as or more questionable than ours.

So, we have arguably the best OL, the 2nd best QB, the best WR, the 2nd best interior DL player, arguably the best edge player, the best LB corp, arguably the best S, and maybe the 2nd best CB.
I think the two new d coordinators with Rams and niners are your most salient points. Otherwise most of what you pointed out is pretty similar to last year except jimmy g and chandler jones are entering the season healthy and we’ve added jj. And we ended up watching the Rams and Seahawks in the playoffs. And if jimmy g doesn’t go down we potentially look up at them too.

it also doesn’t take into account the Rams upgrade at QB, or the fact I’d rather trot out lance at backup qb than McCoy, or the fact that our second best we is likely the 8th best in the division, or the fact we are worse at rb (Conner might better than drake but history shows not as durable).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think the two new d coordinators with Rams and niners are your most salient points. Otherwise most of what you pointed out is pretty similar to last year except jimmy g and chandler jones are entering the season healthy and we’ve added jj. And we ended up watching the Rams and Seahawks in the playoffs. And if jimmy g doesn’t go down we potentially look up at them too.

it also doesn’t take into account the Rams upgrade at QB, or the fact I’d rather trot out lance at backup qb than McCoy, or the fact that our second best wr is likely the 8th best in the division, or the fact we are worse at rb (Conner might better than drake but history shows not as durable).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to reserve judgement until FA is done with and the schedule is released but ultimately a lot of it comes down to how much Kliff and Kyler improve. Two things we cannot know until the season starts.

I like many of the roster moves. I caught some All or Nothing recently on TV and we had so much vocal vet leadership on that team, something I think Keim has tried to reproduce with signings like Watt and Butler.

I expect some more yet. While we are pretty well stocked at iDL I wouldn't be surprised to see a Atkins/Short/Casey type signed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Could be 11-6 or could be 6-11. The AARP guys need to stay healthy. Can the 2 RBs play a majority of the season? Can KM stay healthy?

with any reasonable health, 6-11 seems too low

as frustrating as last year was, they had a positive point differential. That suggests they were better than 8-8.

K1 needs to take the next step as Josh Allen did

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is where I am also. Even with the extra game (Loss to Cleveland).

7-10 to 10-7 is our range IMO with 8-9 or 9-8 being our most reasonable outcomes.

3-3 in division.
Home against:
Green Bay - Odds are an L
Houston - W probably
Indy - Toss up
Minny - Toss up
Carolina - Odds are a W

On the Road:
Dallas - Toss up
Cleveland - Odds are an L
Chicago - Toss up
Detroit - Odds are a W
Jacksonville - Odds are a W
Tennessee - Odds are an L

Our schedule is much tougher than last year. Especially on the road.
I’ll be honest, I think we have a better chance of beating Tennessee on the road than we do beating Chicago at home. Tennessee dramatically got worse this offseason.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not liking how we’re leaving Vance out of the equation. Yea Kliff & Kyler have a lot on them but Vance ain’t exactly let go of either.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personnel-wise, I do think we’re better equipped to contain what SF & SEA likes to do more than any other team in the division.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On paper, we should be in the thick of it.

But there are too many variables to be sure of anything.

To me, the biggest variable lies in which players maintain solid attitudes/work ethic and which players decide to back off (This aspect of life as a pro is far from predictable - home cooking can be too good or other distractions can get in the way.

That said - I like this team and its chances.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
Athletic linebackers are the key on defense.

ive said it now in a couple of threads: Dansby/dwash patrolled the field.

Those 2 had a stretch that made our defense scary. I remember a few games they shut teams down: annihilated offenses.

Isaiah and zaven are going to be better than those 2.
This is an interesting point. With JJ sealing the edge and keeping offensive linemen from the second level they could really be a force. I can envision batted balls, tackles for a loss and interceptions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Some good articles on KK & the offense. I believe we can win 12 games this year with an improved D.

Just seven games into his second campaign as the head coach of the Cards, Kingsbury has done a fine job of proving his detractors wrong. Heading into this Sunday’s matchup with the Miami Dolphins, Arizona is the proud owner of the NFL’s number-one rated offense. Kingsbury’s innovative play-calling, along with the big-play ability of quarterback Kyler Murray, are major reasons why.

The Cardinals are averaging an eye-popping 419.1 yards per contest, a huge improvement over the group that finished 32nd-overall in that category just two years ago. Kingsbury has, for the most part, kept opposing defenses off balance with a plethora of well-rounded gameplans. Many experts believed that the “Air Raid” system would be predicated on the pass, but the Cards have made the running game an equally-utilized feature of the attack as well.

https://raisingzona.com/2020/11/08/arizona-cardinals-proudly-nfls-top-ranked-offense/

Cardinals running back Kenyan Drake described him as a "mad genius."

Cornerback Patrick Peterson said he's a "mad scientist."

Left tackle D.J. Humphries called him "the wizard."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30047704/arizona-cardinals-coach-kliff-kingsbury-beautiful-mind

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good articles on KK & the offense. I believe we can win 12 games this year with an improved D.

Just seven games into his second campaign as the head coach of the Cards, Kingsbury has done a fine job of proving his detractors wrong. Heading into this Sunday’s matchup with the Miami Dolphins, Arizona is the proud owner of the NFL’s number-one rated offense. Kingsbury’s innovative play-calling, along with the big-play ability of quarterback Kyler Murray, are major reasons why.

The Cardinals are averaging an eye-popping 419.1 yards per contest, a huge improvement over the group that finished 32nd-overall in that category just two years ago. Kingsbury has, for the most part, kept opposing defenses off balance with a plethora of well-rounded gameplans. Many experts believed that the “Air Raid” system would be predicated on the pass, but the Cards have made the running game an equally-utilized feature of the attack as well.

https://raisingzona.com/2020/11/08/arizona-cardinals-proudly-nfls-top-ranked-offense/

Cardinals running back Kenyan Drake described him as a "mad genius."

Cornerback Patrick Peterson said he's a "mad scientist."

Left tackle D.J. Humphries called him "the wizard."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30047704/arizona-cardinals-coach-kliff-kingsbury-beautiful-mind

yeah... great article, from October and early November of last year before the offense totally bogged down the second half of the season and the “genius” couldn’t adjust en route to a 2-5 tailspin to end the season.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
yeah... great article, from October and early November of last year before the offense totally bogged down the second half of the season and the “genius” couldn’t adjust en route to a 2-5 tailspin to end the season.

Don't forget that wonderful designed play he introduced that beat the Bills in the last seconds.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score

Honest question: May there be a middle ground between horrific coach and offensive genius? They certainly feasted on some bad Ds early in the season, but nevertheless it worked as it did for most of season one.

KK certainly did not have an answer for defenses adjusting to what they did early in the season, whereas in season one they had good adjustments after a bad start. But injuries to Murray as well as lingering ankle and groin issues for DHop and Kirk may have hampered preparation during the middle of the season. Additionally, they may have underestimated what they lost in Byrd, a deep threat to stretch the field; just look at his numbers catching balls from Newtons shot arm.

Perhaps it would be wise to give Kingsbury and his coaches some time and leeway. Just have a look at early Belichick and his time in Cleveland. If the same problems persist through this year, we can clean house after next season. His predecessor then has a clean slate to built a team according to his wishes due to few players having long term contracts.

By the way, I am not a fan and was disappointed in KKs playcalling most of last season. For the most, I am jealous; would love to have McVay or Shanahan coaching this team.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Another question which has to be answered is how good Murray really is and whether the numbers we see in the following chart are due to KKs offense, Murrays risk aversion or perhaps due to Murrays shoulder injury. Or a combination of all of it.

https://t.co/eFnpEgzrrx?amp=1
You must be registered for see images attach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, we all know I'm a glass-half empty fan at this point my Cardinals fandom, but I swear that normally hasn't been the case. I just have a very bad taste in my mouth about Kliff, and think Keim's gotta have something going on behind the scenes that has initiated this fall from grace. But I absolutely hope we win and will watch every game cheering them on, so please don't take my darksider take as a reason to question my fandom or throw hate.

I think this is probably a 6-7 win team.

Unless you can absolutely score at will like the Chiefs, I still think the most likely pathway to victory in the NFL is still stopping the other guy and being able to control the clock. Unfortunately, the two biggest weaknesses on this team are the running game and the secondary. Sure, I'm amped about the addition of Rodney Hudson, but the right side of the line is still a complete question mark. Our RBs are close to the worst in the league, bested only by the Dolphins and Falcons. Neither guy has shown he can stay healthy, and Conner looked to have lost a step or three in the past two years. Edmonds has fallen flat with every opportunity he's had to start. The rushing will look fine on paper because of Kyler, but it won't be enough to close out games or take over in the in the scary likelihood he takes another bump like last year and can't run.

Our CBs are the worst in the league. Malcolm Butler gave up more receptions and yards than anyone in the league last year, and was slow when he was 22, much less 32. Even if Chandler Jones were allowed to run unabated to the QB every play, a DK Metcalf would be 7 yards past Butler on a fly pattern before CJ could make the sack. (Okay, hyperbole, but Butler is no answer, IMO.) Alford is such a non-factor, it's scary. Our safeties' strength isn't coverage, either. I'm anticipating a lot of games where we need to score in the mid-high 30s to even compete. The front 7 is improved, but not enough to mask how putrid the secondary is.

This is already longer than I want it to be, but I don't think our offense made any significant enough moves to do anything but functionally tread water. Our coaching is poor. We're still likely the 3rd or 4th team in the division after the whole offseason, and this team has to be rebuilt from the ground up next year. We're relying on too many old guys to have resurgent years.

So, my outlook is poor, but does that surprise anyone?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope you are right. I really do. Remember the 49ers had more injuries than maybe anybody in the league last year and they still beat the snot out of us. They will be better this year. Stanford makes the Rams better and they were in the playoffs. The Seahawks just do enough to win and there’s no reason to think they won’t this year.
I’ve debated for years with darksiders believing the Cards were primed to win and I’ve been wrong every time. Hope I keep my streak of wrong going.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we all know I'm a glass-half empty fan at this point my Cardinals fandom, but I swear that normally hasn't been the case. I just have a very bad taste in my mouth about Kliff, and think Keim's gotta have something going on behind the scenes that has initiated this fall from grace. But I absolutely hope we win and will watch every game cheering them on, so please don't take my darksider take as a reason to question my fandom or throw hate.

I think this is probably a 6-7 win team.

Unless you can absolutely score at will like the Chiefs, I still think the most likely pathway to victory in the NFL is still stopping the other guy and being able to control the clock. Unfortunately, the two biggest weaknesses on this team are the running game and the secondary. Sure, I'm amped about the addition of Rodney Hudson, but the right side of the line is still a complete question mark. Our RBs are close to the worst in the league, bested only by the Dolphins and Falcons. Neither guy has shown he can stay healthy, and Conner looked to have lost a step or three in the past two years. Edmonds has fallen flat with every opportunity he's had to start. The rushing will look fine on paper because of Kyler, but it won't be enough to close out games or take over in the in the scary likelihood he takes another bump like last year and can't run.

Our CBs are the worst in the league. Malcolm Butler gave up more receptions and yards than anyone in the league last year, and was slow when he was 22, much less 32. Even if Chandler Jones were allowed to run unabated to the QB every play, a DK Metcalf would be 7 yards past Butler on a fly pattern before CJ could make the sack. (Okay, hyperbole, but Butler is no answer, IMO.) Alford is such a non-factor, it's scary. Our safeties' strength isn't coverage, either. I'm anticipating a lot of games where we need to score in the mid-high 30s to even compete. The front 7 is improved, but not enough to mask how putrid the secondary is.

This is already longer than I want it to be, but I don't think our offense made any significant enough moves to do anything but functionally tread water. Our coaching is poor. We're still likely the 3rd or 4th team in the division after the whole offseason, and this team has to be rebuilt from the ground up next year. We're relying on too many old guys to have resurgent years.

So, my outlook is poor, but does that surprise anyone?
Lots of good points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose