Hicks vs.Collins

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When you take a player whose calling card was versatility in college and then stick him in a defined role where technique and being able to diagnose are more important than athleticism and reacting, and then you aren't patient with his mistakes and learning curve, to me that is a fiasco. Vance not being able to find a role for 6'4 239lbs that ran 4.3 is a fiasco IMO.

It would be like not understanding how to make Calvin Johnson work at WR because they didn't throw the ball that much at Georgia Tech and he was not super-refined. It shouldn't be tough to find a role initially to help the player be successful and then expand on it. Instead we put him in vs a HC whose offense is designed to be tricky even for vets and then yanked him immediately after he is tricked.

Calvin Johnson had 10 starts in his first year (48/756) 4tds

Year two: (78/1331) 12 Tds

Johnson was eased into his role.

Isaiah Simmons had 7 starts (54 tackles (43/11) 4 TFL, 3 QB hits, 1 INT.

Let's see how our guy adjusts after the so-called fiasco of year one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It wasn't a "fiasco" no matter how many times you say it.

Simmons use was dictated by no offseason and Campbell's play in the first half of the season. He was eased in and used increasingly as he showed that his inexperience would not be a liability. With his acquired awareness of his responsibilities in the last quarter of the season, we got a glimpse of what's on the horizon.
It’s truly amazing that other players on other teams at the same position didn’t have the same disadvantages as Simmons. Oh wait, they did. And they played. I’m a big believer in Simmons, but either his handling or the mental aspect of his game was a mess last year. Either way, he produced way below what was expected of him. I hope for a bust out season this year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s truly amazing that other players on other teams at the same position didn’t have the same disadvantages as Simmons. Oh wait, they did. And they played. I’m a big believer in Simmons, but either his handling or the mental aspect of his game was a mess last year. Either way, he produced way below what was expected of him. I hope for a bust out season this year.

I must admit I don't like the "he didn't have a pre season" excuse.

Justin Herbert didn't have a pre season either. Yet he was thrown into starting Game 3 in the hardest position in football in a completely different scheme and played lights out all year. Lot's of rookies didn't have pre season's and played well. Vance was the issue.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I must admit I don't like the "he didn't have a pre season" excuse.

Justin Herbert didn't have a pre season either. Yet he was thrown into starting Game 3 in the hardest position in football in a completely different scheme and played lights out all year. Lot's of rookies didn't have pre season's and played well. Vance was the issue.
Not all people are the same and take the same amount of time to be ready.

Therefor it is very possible for a shortened offseason to have more of an effect on some people than it will on others.

Simmons seems specifically like the type of guy that could have used those extra reps in the offseason to be ready for the regular season. That has a lot to do with the fact that he didn't really play 1 role in college, but like 5 different ones.

When he finally found the field last year we got to see some of that talent that we drafted him for, but also made some rookie mistakes at the same time.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Therefor it is very possible for a shortened offseason to have more of an effect on some people than it will on others.

Simmons seems specifically like the type of guy that could have used those extra reps in the offseason to be ready for the regular season. That has a lot to do with the fact that he didn't really play 1 role in college, but like 5 different ones.

When he finally found the field last year we got to see some of that talent that we drafted him for, but also made some rookie mistakes at the same time.
OR it is possible that players are drafted higher based upon their ability to be successful sooner rather than later and that teams have significant time and resources available to ensure that they give that player the tools they need. Lest we forget that the Cardinals chose this player after an extensive vetting process over 96% of the remaining drafted players.

They either misjudged the player or had a poor plan. I tend to believe that Simmons showed, in glimpses mind you, that he was the athletic, versatile player he was billed as. That leaves the team's onboarding plan as the issue.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what about Simmons specifically made it seem like a guy who could have used a lot of reps compared to other successful rookies who shot out of the gate?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I just hope he learns to stop head hunting!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It looked like to me, Simmons made one bad play, then never got another chance? Is that the way it happened? If that is the case, then sit every one who makes a mistake.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
It looked like to me, Simmons made one bad play, then never got another chance? Is that the way it happened? If that is the case, then sit every one who makes a mistake.

Certainly felt that way. Especially, since the play that burned Simmons was used by the 49ers throughout the season successfully, burning quite a lot of teams with it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave