Draft Grade

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know how to grade.. In some ways I don't like to give an A unless we have the right people to fall to us and that is out of our control.. no matter who we picked then I could see no better than a B... Then not my favorite picks all the time... so maybe a b-? But again no way to get an A with this draft unless there were trades we could have offered that would have allowed us to move up or down to get a better value.

I think it was an excellent idea to give our pick up to get a probowl center though.. this draft just seemed really bad except at the very top of the draft..I think that should be added in so maybe it gives us a solid B?

The people who say trades don't factor in for draft picks I don't know how that would be the case.. That means if we traded our entire draft for five pro bowl players we would get an F for the draft?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You should grade the "draft" strictly on the players /picks you have in the draft. If you have only one pick, and it is a really good outstanding pick, then give yourself an A. If it is a bad pick, give yourself a d or f.
My opinion.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like, to me, he drafted, for the most part, BPA.
Most on here say that is how you draft, BPA, not for need?

Seems that is what he may have done?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't agree with your grades and whatnot, but that's a matter of opinion. I want to feel super stoked about them, I do. And, as usual as a darksider, I very much hope I'm wrong.

Either way, Keim did good work bringing those two players in. What gets me is people trying to overinflate what we did in the draft by boasting Keim's draft is better because of non-drafted players. Yeah, no. Folks can't make him out to be a better drafter like that.
I think it was an average draft overall and is an above average one when Keim flipped a 3rd rounder in a questionable draft year for Rodney Hudson. Whether someone calls that a B or a C is kinda a battle in futility.

So, how does one get a draft grade of an A? I would argue that volume has a lot to do with teams getting an A. Tough to see a draft where a team just sits and picks 7 guys getting more than a B especially if you want to remove the scouting element from the grade. I think that is where you are better off just evaluating the draft class annually, year over year. Did the player meet expectations after year one? Year 2. Year 3. Did they warrant an extension? Did they stick in the league? the question is how do you factor in the team's part in their development or lack thereof.

For example w/ last year's class.

Isaiah Simmons probably grades as a C at this point. He demonstrated the athletic skills we thought he had when he was drafted but definitely did not meet expectations. I don't know if it was all his fault, but he still did not make the impact that most expected from him.

Josh Jones was also probably a B. He played some snaps but was not able to beat out Sweezy or Beachum for a starting spot. He did stay healthy which is important. He was a 3rd round pick so I feel he met expectations.

Fotu probably a B.

Lawrence a C. Injury.

Weaver a C. You would have liked to see some sort of contribution.

Eno a C. Same as Weaver. No impact but still on the roster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Uh, hello Kool Aid man? D-Hop and Hudson weren't draft picks, they were traded for using draft picks. They don't make a DRAFT successful. Keim can't say "look at my awesome draft pick Hudson!" He can say "look at my awesome trade for Hudson!" instead, but, again, not the draft.
Well he can, but it has to be “look at my awesome draft pick, a 32 year old pro bowl center for $10M!” Which is much different than drafting a project center for draft compensation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know how to grade.. In some ways I don't like to give an A unless we have the right people to fall to us and that is out of our control.. no matter who we picked then I could see no better than a B... Then not my favorite picks all the time... so maybe a b-? But again no way to get an A with this draft unless there were trades we could have offered that would have allowed us to move up or down to get a better value.

I think it was an excellent idea to give our pick up to get a probowl center though.. this draft just seemed really bad except at the very top of the draft..I think that should be added in so maybe it gives us a solid B?

The people who say trades don't factor in for draft picks I don't know how that would be the case.. That means if we traded our entire draft for five pro bowl players we would get an F for the draft?
I would think it would mean there would be no grade because there would be no draft. Cant receive a grade in a class you don’t take.

rather, I think you have to grade a gm overall. Bc trades mean you acquire an older player and have to spend more money. So while you receive a better player - or at least remove/lessen risk of player bust - in the equation you also remove longevity of career and negatively impact the cap.

like I said yesterday, we all love the Hudson trade. But if I told you “we are going to draft a 32 year old center in the 3rd and allocate the equivalent of the first and fourth overall picks in the draft salaries to him” how excited would we be?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I would think it would mean there would be no grade because there would be no draft. Cant receive a grade in a class you don’t take.

rather, I think you have to grade a gm overall. Bc trades mean you acquire an older player and have to spend more money. So while you receive a better player - or at least remove/lessen risk of player bust - in the equation you also remove longevity of career and negatively impact the cap.

like I said yesterday, we all love the Hudson trade. But if I told you “we are going to draft a 32 year old center in the 3rd and allocate the equivalent of the first and fourth overall picks in the draft salaries to him” how excited would we be?

If the player we are drafting is guaranteed to be an all pro then I’d be happy about it.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not surprisingly, the cards are ranked rather low over the last 5 years. Rams are drafting well with 7 out of 8, 49ers as bad as us and Seattle worst team in the league.

Theres hope that the number will look better with our last three drafts.

Running backs with only 42% signed to a 2nd contract the least valuable position to draft in the first round according to this criterium.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I went B because I believe the Cards by mid-season will see their first 2 picks starting. Anytime you get 2 starters out of a draft that’s a quality draft.

I ll be disappointed if Collins cant start from day one and Rondale Moore not getting 50% of the snaps

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't like factoring in traded picks into the draft.

We already give Keim credit for his trades, he doesn't deserve to get it twice.

When they were traded for draft picks, then I think any draft grade that doesn't take that into account is worthless.

Hudson is better than any OL drafted.

The fourth rounder was the other part of the Hopkins trade

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When they were traded for draft picks, then I think any draft grade that doesn't take that into account is worthless.

Not guaranteed, but he certainly is terrific and has no risk of being a bust. But along with that, if your statement proves true, it’s likely only true for 3-4 years at best.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with this in sentiment, but then you'd have to factor in the amount of money Hudson makes and how that could be allocated elsewhere. It becomes a slippery slope. (The amount of money they make, as well as how many years are left help determine pick compensation)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I don't agree with your grades and whatnot, but that's a matter of opinion. I want to feel super stoked about them, I do. And, as usual as a darksider, I very much hope I'm wrong.

Either way, Keim did good work bringing those two players in. What gets me is people trying to overinflate what we did in the draft by boasting Keim's draft is better because of non-drafted players. Yeah, no. Folks can't make him out to be a better drafter like that.
I know this thread is about draft grades but the bigger question to me is this? What players would Keim have drafted with the 3rd & 4th round picks he used on Hopkins & Hudson? I guarantee you that players being drafted in those spots wouldn't be in the same universe as those 2 lol. Basically, Keim isn't the best at drafting players but he is damn good at making trades so trading a pick for players as good as Hudson & Hopkins I'll take all day long & twice on Sunday lol. Plan A=just draft players. Plan B=draft & use draft picks to trade for good players...................Plan B it is. :cheers:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not guaranteed, but he certainly is terrific and has no risk of being a bust. But along with that, if your statement proves true, it’s likely only true for 3-4 years at best.
I'd much rather his statement be true & get those 3-4 good years out of that player than have Keim strike out with yet another bust lol.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know this thread is about draft grades but the bigger question to me is this? What players would Keim have drafted with the 3rd & 4th round picks he used on Hopkins & Hudson? I guarantee you that players being drafted in those spots wouldn't be in the same universe as those 2 lol. Basically, Keim isn't the best at drafting players but he is damn good at making trades so trading a pick for players as good as Hudson & Hopkins I'll take all day long & twice on Sunday lol. Plan A=just draft players. Plan B=draft & use draft picks to trade for good players...................Plan B it is. :cheers:
But you can’t rely too heavily on plan B bc it’s just much more expensive to sign or trade for players than it is to successfully draft them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd much rather his statement be true & get those 3-4 good years out of that player than have Keim strike out with yet another bust lol.
True but then you’re essentially hoping that keim can continually luck into these 3-4 year players. Remember, we wouldn’t have had a new center had the raiders not inexplicably decided to get rid of Hudson. I mean, it’s not something for which keim can effectively plan.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And how many draft picks (for any team) will be with the same team after 4 years?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Three things:
1. It's crazy giving a grade this early.
2. Does anyone know what grade we received last year?
3. Crazy, but I still read them. So, what does that make me?

Crazy? I was crazy once. They put me in a rubber room. I ate and slept in that room. I died in that room. When I died, they put me in a wooden box, and put the box in the ground. Worms live in the ground. Worms drive me crazy.

Crazy? I was crazy once...

Brought to you by the "Stout hasn't had enough sleep" society. And by Mennen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And how many draft picks (for any team) will be with the same team after 4 years?
True, but you don’t know that about each draft pick. Each has the potential for longevity given their youth. In trades like this (where you trade for an old guy) you’re swapping skill certainty for potential longevity and cost control.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose