OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are in the perfect position as the neutral NBA fan to enjoy the tournament. But again, imagine if you were a fan of the 7th or 8th seed team.

For sure those fan bases will be stressed out. The ratings will determine if this thing stays or goes. If a ton of people tune in and watch they will be keeping it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flip side of this is that the teams in the 5, 6, and 7 seeds can't load manage and take games off at the end of the season. In the East the 4 seeded Knicks are just 2.5 games ahead of that play in seed.

I am watching more NBA lately because of it.

I’m watching more NBA lately too because of those seeds, but it’s more because of trying to figure out who the Suns will face in a variety of scenarios more than anything else. And I think that would be the same with teams jockeying for position 6-8 without a play in.

reality is I’m more interested in the NBA overall because what happens now actually effects the Suns and that hasn’t mattered for a decade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with that but I've always thought there should be a playoff or play-in game between 8 & 9 if there was a tie. I know there are tiebreakers but it would create quality tv.
That would be a much better case.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That would be a much better case.
I am all for it for only the 8th and 9th teams and only if they are within like 1-2 games of each other. The way it is setup now I would be very salty if the Suns were in that 7-8 range and potentially missed the playoffs due to losing two play in games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with that but I've always thought there should be a playoff or play-in game between 8 & 9 if there was a tie. I know there are tiebreakers but it would create quality tv.
i like this

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get the play-in last year where the season was unexpectedly shortened. But in a regular year - even a shortened one - you know how many games are going to be played. Win your games and you’re in. Don’t and you’re not. An entire seasons worth of games shouldn’t be unwound by a single game with a team that just didn’t win enough games to qualify for the playoffs.
But it's always changed wasnt the mid 70s best of 3 first round? Not much different. I prefer the traditional 1-8 ....5 7 7. But I dont mind the play in either

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But it's always changed wasnt the mid 70s best of 3 first round? Not much different. I prefer the traditional 1-8 ....5 7 7. But I dont mind the play in either
I thought it was best of 5. Maybe that was later.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought it was best of 5. Maybe that was later.

They used to have a 3-game "mini-series" in the first round, but higher seeds (division winners?) got byes. 12 teams total.

As long as the number of playoff teams is a power of 2, so there are no byes, it's hard to know what to do with the top seeds. The shorter the first-round series is, the more vulnerable a top team is to an upset; but longer series add up to more fatigue as the playoffs wear on.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I don't get the LeBron hate.

That said, it can be true that the play in games are increasing excitement and ratings for the league and decreasing tanking but also unfair to the 7-8 seeds that grinded a full season just have it all comes down to 1 or 2 games.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I don't get the LeBron hate.

That said, it can be true that the play in games are increasing excitement and ratings for the league and decreasing tanking but also unfair to the 7-8 seeds that grinded a full season just have it all comes down to 1 or 2 games.

Really, I thought everybody dislikes LeBron. What's to like beyond talent?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really, I thought everybody dislikes LeBron. What's to like beyond talent?

Strong community presence, gives a lot of himself to admirable causes. Things like that. I greatly dislike aspects of his behavior on the court and he occasionally puts his foot in his mouth but for the most part he says the right things and he's been a powerful advocate for change.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Strong community presence, gives a lot of himself to admirable causes. Things like that. I greatly dislike aspects of his behavior on the court and he occasionally puts his foot in his mouth but for the most part he says the right things and he's been a powerful advocate for change.
Agreed

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not one second of my day is devoted to what this guy thinks. If and when it does someone please hit me in the head with a shovel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s fake.

To a considerable extent any person that lives his life under a microscope like Lebron has is fake. I'm not saying you're wrong but if that's all you have, for someone who is amongst the most scrutinized human beings to have ever lived, that's not much of a black mark IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To a considerable extent any person that lives his life under a microscope like Lebron has is fake. I'm not saying you're wrong but if that's all you have, for someone who is amongst the most scrutinized human beings to have ever lived, that's not much of a black mark IMO.

Can’t argue with that. And some of phony stuff he does doesn’t make him terrible person or anything to be clear.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want the Lakers in the first round, Portland or Utah in the second and the Nets at the end.

There will be no Asterisk with this Championship

pure clean unadulterated winning

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
AD looked like bubble AD. That’s my biggest fear

I’m sure he’ll tweak something before that though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose