Going all in on 10 personnel?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could have easily filled the TE spot with Pat Freiermuth. We all know there is a lot of pressure on Kliff this year. Never hired a replacement for Tom Clements. I think Kliff will want to go with what he knows.

Now its on Kyler to execute. As I've said before that wasnt his thing at OU. However, heading into year 3 it should be time to start getting it done in that offense. I also think seeing Buffalo use 4 Wrs so well is a factor.

I actually feel better about Rondale Moore if we're using 10 personnel. Moore and Kirk running the mesh could be a problem for teams.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Writing is on the wall with this and we may keep 7 or 8 WRs on the roster.

Hopkins
Green
Kirk
Moore

w/ Edmonds at RB

expect a lot of that.

We are still lacking outside WRs though. That is an area of concern IMO because KeeSean is an inside guy as well despite the Cardinals putting him outside.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And with this, I will be shocked if we do not add some vet WRs after the comp pick deadline passes.

Deandre Hopkins
AJ Green
Christian Kirk
Rondale Moore
KeeSean Johnson
Andy Isabella

that is just not a good enough room to run 10 personnel consistently enough with. I imagine they will add 2, one outside and one inside. Amendola and Golden Tate are both sitting out there. I would really like to bring Damiere Byrd back and I think we can play outside.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could have easily filled the TE spot with Pat Freiermuth. We all know there is a lot of pressure on Kliff this year. Never hired a replacement for Tom Clements. I think Kliff will want to go with what he knows.

Now its on Kyler to execute. As I've said before that wasnt his thing at OU. However, heading into year 3 it should be time to start getting it done in that offense. I also think seeing Buffalo use 4 Wrs so well is a factor.

I actually feel better about Rondale Moore if we're using 10 personnel. Moore and Kirk running the mesh could be a problem for teams.

I posted that over the weekend too I think we have no receiving TE's and Moore as the 4th WR looks like that we're going to see more of 4 WR sets with Moore as the slot on the other side. You can do all sorts of things but you have D Hop on the left side with Moore in the slot, Green and Kirk the other way. You can leverage that so many ways if they double D Hop as they want to do, then Moore is guarnteed single coverage with no immediate help except maybe a LB, so dangerous after the catch. Or you can use Moore to distract the help on D Hop to try and get him singled up. And you can be pretty sure you're going to get single coverage on 1 or both of the guys on the other side too.

With an improved C and hopefully better blocking elsewhere maybe it won't be as much of a problem as it was Kylers' rookie year, plus Kyler is much improved in that area.

I don't think it'll be our base offense but I do expect more 4 WR sets. AS a rookie he was better in 2 and 3 TE sets. Last year his best was 3 WR's but 4 WR's he was pretty good too, only 14 sacks in over 300 attempts so he was much better at not getting sacked but the problem last year was only 6 Yards per attempt because those short passes were so ineffective because D Hop was the only WR who could get YAC. This year we'll have Moore and hopefully with Kirk playing more in the slot he'll get more YAC and suddenly that 6 YPA goes up closer to 8.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Writing is on the wall with this and we may keep 7 or 8 WRs on the roster.

Hopkins
Green
Kirk
Moore

w/ Edmonds at RB

expect a lot of that.

We are still lacking outside WRs though. That is an area of concern IMO because KeeSean is an inside guy as well despite the Cardinals putting him outside.
What WR is missing from that write-up?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It makes sense. If you're going to get fired anyway may as well go down doing things your way and not live with the regret of what might have been.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If we go back to 10 personnel most of the time....... we may lose 10 or 11 games.

I see our biggest deterrent to success being Kliff's inability to call a solid game week in and week out. Our "up-tempo" game kills us when we blindly stick to it. It also, by it's mere existence, kills our defense by the 4th quarter.

10 personnel lacks the versatility needed to overcome the defensive schemes we will face week in and week out.

We need 11 or 12 at least half the time. And we need our guys to exploit the matchups that keeping our opponent in base defense will give us.

FYI.....We figured this out 2 years ago. Why talk up Kliff's humility and ability to adapt if they are just going to blindly go back to the same dog and pony show of 2019? Why elevate Kugler in that scenario? Makes no sense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we go back to 10 personnel most of the time....... we may lose 10 or 11 games.

I see our biggest deterrent to success being Kliff's inability to call a solid game week in and week out. Our "up-tempo" game kills us when we blindly stick to it. It also, by it's mere existence, kills our defense by the 4th quarter.

10 personnel lacks the versatility needed to overcome the defensive schemes we will face week in and week out.

We need 11 or 12 at least half the time. And we need our guys to exploit the matchups that keeping our opponent in base defense will give us.

FYI.....We figured this out 2 years ago. Why talk up Kliff's humility and ability to adapt if they are just going to blindly go back to the same dog and pony show of 2019? Why elevate Kugler in that scenario? Makes no sense.
Slight disagreement on this. 10 personnel works if your QB can read the defense well. That is why most veteran QBs like to go spread because it defines reads and coverages more. With an improved offensive line and Kyler being in his 3rd season as a starter, we should be able to run 10 with more success.

Added bonus is that it also puts the defense into a smaller personnel package which may benefit Kyler's longevity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose