Seems like we should sign a vet corner

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Nelson is getting badly overrated here. Yeah he's had a couple of decent seasons lately but the Chiefs let him go. The Steelers just cut him.

They didn't do that because he's Jalen Ramsey.

He's no better than Breeland or other vets on the market.

And if we sign some of these vets (better two than one) like Breeland, Hayward and Nelson, we are fine.

If not, things are looking dark. In todays NFL, you need at least three average or better than average corners. And due to injuries and such, you better have at least four of them on the roster.

You do not necessarily need the star corner, since teams are good at attacking the weakest link. Its better to have at least average cbs at every position than having a unicorn star cb but one really weak cb. Just look at whenever Kevin Peterson was on the field last year. That was even worse than having Dre as our starter.

Since we cannot count on Alford, we have two established cbs at the moment in Butler and Murphy. One good cb is a must and we should look for a second one as well.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have a good corner in butler
A good nickle in Murphy
Alford is a big question mark
Then we have two rookies with atletic abiliies and some upside
At least one of them can have a positive impact early
If we can put pressure with our pass rushers we are fine

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
In principle it could work. If nobody ever gets injured and everyone works out. What are the possibilities of that?

What could help is that we are pretty strong at safety and in case one of our outside corners gets injured, Murphy will hold up outside for sometime and one of our safeties plays at nickel.

Thats what I do not get regarding the "we need a rb"-crowd. In principle I agree with them (I would not invest in it like them however) but in relation to our needs cb remains the much larger and much more important position which is lacking able bodies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, Keim stupidly went into the draft with us really understaffed at the position, painting himself into pretty much needed a starter from the draft, then didn't get one. Now we're so desperate we'll sign some vet schlub and think we're "set" at the position. He's (very wrongly) thinking our pass rush will paper over the cracks, probably. Which is fine, if you have at least average talent at the position. We don't.

You can't count on that and we need some added VET help.

We can (and we've done it before) trade for someone who is on the bubble.

No more trading away all our draft capital, please. I like who we got back in Hudson, but continuously unloading draft capital is not a strategy for success. Although, I understand the desire because Keim sucks at the draft.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Keim stupidly went into the draft with us really understaffed at the position, painting himself into pretty much needed a starter from the draft, then didn't get one. Now we're so desperate we'll sign some vet schlub and think we're "set" at the position. He's (very wrongly) thinking our pass rush will paper over the cracks, probably. Which is fine, if you have at least average talent at the position. We don't.

Just decide for yourself with limited financial resources: A rb1 when we already have two rbs who are capable and we could use a third (who will not catapult our running game to new heigths at its own)

or

one or two capable (not great!) cbs, which will help our D immensely?

For me, there can only be one decision: Load up on CBs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
No more trading away all our draft capital, please. I like who we got back in Hudson, but continuously unloading draft capital is not a strategy for success

all those analyses that show him last in drafting: part of that is that he has traded picks away in each of the last five drafts for one purpose or another --

some of it for good return: Hopkins

some of it not: move up for Rosen which turned into Isabella

Stout

Reaction score
Just decide for yourself with limited financial resources: A rb1 when we already have two rbs who are capable and we could use a third (who will not catapult our running game to new heigths at its own)

or

one or two capable (not great!) cbs, which will help our D immensely?

For me, there can only be one decision: Load up on CBs.

Well, aside from utterly rejecting your premise of having two capable RBs already, I also reject the premise that it's either/or. We could've combined the draft and FA to do both. Also, I don't see any (outside of the former Steelers CB) that are going to come in and be a capable starter at CB. And if we wanted him, we should've already made a run at him.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Well, aside from utterly rejecting your premise of having two capable RBs already, I also reject the premise that it's either/or. We could've combined the draft and FA to do both. Also, I don't see any (outside of the former Steelers CB) that are going to come in and be a capable starter at CB. And if we wanted him, we should've already made a run at him.

Your rejection does not make your opinion more fact based, though.

Regarding the RB position, you broadly state that Conner is not starting material, which is your opinion, but not based on any stat whatsoever. In the last two season where he played 13 games each, 2018 and 2020, he was 11th and 20th in rushing yards among running backs, respectively. Basically, he is at least an average NFL running back. Whether you like him or not is not part of the discussion.

And Edmonds is, at the very least, a average to above average rb2.

Stout

Reaction score
Your rejection does not make your opinion more fact based, though.

Regarding the RB position, you broadly state that Conner is not starting material, which is your opinion, but not based on any stat whatsoever. In the last two season where he played 13 games each, 2018 and 2020, he was 11th and 20th in rushing yards among running backs, respectively. Basically, he is at least an average NFL running back. Whether you like him or not is not part of the discussion.

And Edmonds is, at the very least, a average to above average rb2.

You are correct in that I'm only stating my opinions, absolutely. Again, I hear everything from those here in Steeler land and on Steeler talk radio, and aside from the Pitt "he's a great story" homers, EVERYONE laughed at us signing him. No one was sad to see him leave.

I'll agree that Edmonds is a serviceable RB 2, absolutely. I'd agree that Conner would also be a serviceable #2 as well, IMO; I'm sure you'll disagree and view him higher. Having two serviceable #2s doesn't make for a very good RB room.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody is saying our rb room is great. It does not have to be great, is my personal opinion.

Regarding Pittsburgh fans not being sorry about Conner leaving, it's not that most Cardinal fans are sorry about DJ or Drake leaving or Rams fans missing Gurley or Jags fans missing Fournette.

Stout

Reaction score
Nobody is saying our rb room is great. It does not have to be great, is my personal opinion.

Regarding Pittsburgh fans not being sorry about Conner leaving, it's not that most Cardinal fans are sorry about DJ or Drake leaving or Rams fans missing Gurley or Jags fans missing Fournette.

I'd like the RB room to be good, and feel we don't have that.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
You are correct in that I'm only stating my opinions, absolutely. Again, I hear everything from those here in Steeler land and on Steeler talk radio, and aside from the Pitt "he's a great story" homers, EVERYONE laughed at us signing him. No one was sad to see him leave.

I'll agree that Edmonds is a serviceable RB 2, absolutely. I'd agree that Conner would also be a serviceable #2 as well, IMO; I'm sure you'll disagree and view him higher. Having two serviceable #2s doesn't make for a very good RB room.
Maybe running behind Hudson helps that equation?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like the RB room to be good, and feel we don't have that.

it’s not gonna be. It’s gonna be mediocre.

Hopefully the improved o line + mediocre running game = good overall running game.

Stout

Reaction score
it’s not gonna be. It’s gonna be mediocre.

Hopefully the improved o line + mediocre running game = good overall running game.

Hopefully, yeah. I don't think it'll even be mediocre. I see Conner losing games due to injury, and then we have Chase and nothing else at the position. But I am an avowed darksider which, hey, should be allowable today :)

Maybe running behind Hudson helps that equation?

Can't hurt!

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...fuller-jaylen-waddle-can-help-run-game-a-lot/

Miami head coach Brian Flores thinks their wr picks (Jaylen Waddle) and signings (Will Fuller) will have a positive impact on the run game. The speed they bring to the offense will open things up on the ground, according to Flores.

In the article he is stated:
“I think it [helps] a lot,” “I think if you’ve got guys who can run on the perimeter, if you load the box, there’s more opportunity for 1-on-1 matchups and opportunities downfield. Defenses have to make that decision when you have those types of players on the field and again, if you don’t load the box and you play for those big plays, then there’s less people in the box and less people to block and I think it really becomes kind of a numbers math game. If you get those guys blocked, there’s more space to run.”

Follows the same line of thinking as some of our posters are adhering to.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully, yeah. I don't think it'll even be mediocre. I see Conner losing games due to injury, and then we have Chase and nothing else at the position. But I am an avowed darksider which, hey, should be allowable today :)

Can't hurt!
Do you really see it being worse despite being much improved on the interior OLine?

I’m not the biggest James Conner fan myself, but he is going from a washed up/makeshift OLine to at least above-average one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I half expect us to make a run at Stephon Gilmore again. Rumor is the Pats want to trade him, they apparently tried to get the 8th pick from Carolina but Carolina balked at it. The Cards probably don't want to give up a first rounder in 22 so would have to get the Pats to take a lesser pick.

it's the Pats MO they get rid of vets early if they can. We reportedly had interest in him before the trading deadline last year but nothing happened so I would not be surpirsed. The claim is he wants to go to "a contender".

Breeland we tried to sign a few years ago so he makes sense, as does Nelson, but of the 3 Gilmore is the best player although it's always hard to know.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This comment re: CB from Wolfley just made me sick because I think he usually speaks for the team:

3. CB Malcolm Butler: “Malcolm Butler is a pure dog right now and he’s gonna be opposite Robert Alford. Let’s hope that happens, ladies and gentlemen. If that happens, you have Byron Murphy as your (nickel) corner, that’s gonna be good. Trust me on that, that’s gonna be a good corner group.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/264...5-most-impactful-cardinals-addition-for-2021/

One of the mouths of Sauron is actually selling an old, broken down Alford who was atrocious in his last healthy season three years ago. Blegh. I’m dubious we actually go out there and get a dependable CB opposite Butler.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This comment re: CB from Wolfley just made me sick because I think he usually speaks for the team:

3. CB Malcolm Butler: “Malcolm Butler is a pure dog right now and he’s gonna be opposite Robert Alford. Let’s hope that happens, ladies and gentlemen. If that happens, you have Byron Murphy as your (nickel) corner, that’s gonna be good. Trust me on that, that’s gonna be a good corner group.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/264...5-most-impactful-cardinals-addition-for-2021/

One of the mouths of Sauron is actually selling an old, broken down Alford who was atrocious in his last healthy season three years ago. Blegh. I’m dubious we actually go out there and get a dependable CB opposite Butler.

Unfortunately, you are correct on this. :bang:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...fuller-jaylen-waddle-can-help-run-game-a-lot/

Miami head coach Brian Flores thinks their wr picks (Jaylen Waddle) and signings (Will Fuller) will have a positive impact on the run game. The speed they bring to the offense will open things up on the ground, according to Flores.

In the article he is stated:

Follows the same line of thinking as some of our posters are adhering to.
I forgot they signed fuller. Man, fuller, Parker and waddle is a scary *********.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are correct on this. :bang:
Ugh if we rely on Alford and late round picks to start this season at CB we are in trouble.

I don't understand why we aren't being more aggressive with the amount of cap space we have at the moment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh if we rely on Alford and late round picks to start this season at CB we are in trouble.

I don't understand why we aren't being more aggressive with the amount of cap space we have at the moment.

it doesn’t make sense if they’re “All In!” like people keep saying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose