RB what is Keims plan?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake is not a tough inside runner tho. He would almost always try to break it outside and protect himself. Maybe because he didn't trust that the hole would be there... Who knows.

Yes didnt trust the hole would be there cause rarely there was..
how many times in third and short he was tackled just few cents of second after the snap?
Nobody can't do very much in those situations

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
More then looking at the total yardage where Murray has a lot do in that, I would look at our inability to convert short third downs
Our line is a bit overrated, when the defense knew we had to run, they didn't give any chance to let us getting couple yards, most of the time drake was tackled for a loss

If anything, our inability to convert on short 2nd and 3rd downs in the second half of the season comes down to us running too much, especially behind center and inbetween the guards. We should have opened up our playbook instead of running Drake continously into a crowded box.

Our opponents knew what was coming. They packed the box and we just ran the same plays over and over again. We neither attacked deep where Murray was succesful nor did we use Edmonds in the flats where he was 5 for 5 according to the following article by SI:
https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/deep-dive-cardinals-offensive-struggles

Drake was stuffed the second-most times in the NFL, per the Washington Post, and the Cardinals were 26th in stuff rate, an indictment on run design, interior line play and the running backs.

They ran the ball up the middle on 65 percent of rushes, fourth-most in the league, yet on yards per rush they were 18th, per Sharp.

There were more effective play calls that were under utilized. Tossing the ball to running back Chase Edmonds was successful five out of five times, drawing the defense in and having an outlet in Edmonds to get the ball out quickly. Arizona didn’t use the flat very often this season.

Part of that was our weak play at center and right guard. The weakest link in our run blocking ,according to PFF run grading numbers, was Sweazy with a run blocking grade in the low 40s. Him being gone from the roster is definitely addition by substraction. Murray as well as Winters never had run blocking grades that bad.

Rondale Moore could help here as well by being lined up in the flat and being used in pre snap motion, his threat keeping opposing lbs and safetys wide. We didnt use presnap motion very much, using that with a credible threat will open up lanes in the middle as well.

Have a look how pre snap motion usage changed for Green Bay and how this may have helped opening up their offense in contrast to the McCarthy years (without major changes of offensive personnel):
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm guessing that our RB depth chart (Conner, Edmonds, Ward and Benjamin) will not be the same when we start the season. So imo it doesn't make much sense complaining about it now. You'll have plenty of time to complain about it as we approach Week #1.

So just be cool in the fact we have to wait and hope a starting RB becomes available? Cool.

We are talking about acquiring our 3rd string RB. The draft always creates roster churn so it's not a seldom used strategy.

Nope, we need a RB1.

I'm not concerned about our 3rd RB, I'm concerned about our #1.

Yep.

AZ: 7th. in rushing - 2237 (4.7)

Pitt: 32nd. in rushing - 1351 (3.6)

I'll bet that AZ in 2021 outrushes Pitt with Najee Harris.

Hmm, who was that masked RB Pittsburgh had last year? Oh wait...

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, who was that masked RB Pittsburgh had last year? Oh, wait...

Hmm, I know and don't expect that Pitts running game will be much improved unless they've seriously upgraded the key to running success the O-line.

We were 7th in the league in rushing in 2020, and I'm fairly confident that Pitt, star RB leading the charge, won't outgain us on the ground.

Stout

Reaction score
Hmm, I know and don't expect that Pitts running game will be much improved unless they've seriously upgraded the key to running success the O-line.

We were 7th in the league in rushing in 2020, and I'm fairly confident that Pitt, star RB leading the charge, won't outgain us on the ground.

You're again confusing "in the league in rushing" with the talent at the RB position. Counting on KM to overcome all the deficiencies we have at the RB position is just going to put more pressure on him to simply carry the entire offense. That won't go well. What will our RBs do in the rushing game? Not enough, IMO, with what we have now.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about our running back situation. However, other than the top 3, IMO it was not a good draft for RBs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're again confusing "in the league in rushing" with the talent at the RB position. Counting on KM to overcome all the deficiencies we have at the RB position is just going to put more pressure on him to simply carry the entire offense. That won't go well. What will our RBs do in the rushing game? Not enough, IMO, with what we have now.

Unless we selected RB in the first round we were hamstrung when it came to drafting RB#1.

Until proven wrong, I see a potential improvement in Conners numbers and our overall RB gains given our O-line.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KM ran when the blocking broke down

This affects the rushing yards that we got from run blocking

That's the point.

Shows how poor our run blocking was

There were all kinds of designed runs and many because our wideouts were covered, which had nothing to do with O-line breakdowns.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually wouldn’t mind Pitt’s draft if it was anyone other than Pitt.

We have a broken down OLine & washed up QB so lets draft a RB & TE with our first 2 picks.

Awful.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were all kinds of designed runs and many because our wideouts were covered and had nothing to do with O-line breakdowns.
There were some designed runs

But I don't remember very many of them compared to KM having to run due to the blocking breaking down

Stout

Reaction score
Unless we selected RB in the first round we were hamstrung when it came to drafting RB#1.

Until proven wrong, I see a potential improvement in Conners numbers and our overall RB gains given our O-line.

One of the reasons I was upset to go with a project ILBer at the time.

I get your opinion on Conner. I disagree, but I get it. Problem is, even if he's decent, what do we do when he gets injured?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Geez, so much hand-wringing over RBs.

A couple vets who might be available or cut.

1 - Royce Freeman - Denver
Broncos have Melvin Gorden, signed Mike Boone in FA and drafted Javonte Williams. Tough to see them holding onto Freeman. He has nice power, is used to running out of a read/option scheme, and is a good athlete.

2 - Kerryon Johnson - Lions
Lions drafted Jemar Jefferson late, signed Jamal Williams in FA and drafted Deandre Swift high last year. Again, tough to see them holding onto Kerryon. IMO, Johnson would have a Kenyan Drake impact in our offense. He is a nice all-around RB who has just not found his spot in Detroit.

3 - Practice squad guys. Keep in mind that those late round picks we "missed on" will be available to AZ if the teams try to sneak them onto their practice squads. A very smart move by AZ to forgo that market. Examples:

If the Lions keep Kerryon and try to have Jemar on their PS, Cardinals can just sign him.

Same with the Packers and Kylin Hill.

With SF, they already have Gallman, Hasty and Mostert and then drafted Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell. I don't see them carrying 5 RBs on the roster.

Could the Jaguars be open to trading James Robinson? Drafted Etienne and signed Carlos Hyde who the staff has a history with, and also have Armstead and Ozigbo. Not gonna keep them all.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Broncos have Melvin Gorden, signed Mike Boone in FA and drafted Javonte Williams. Tough to see them holding onto Freeman. He has nice power, is used to running out of a read/option scheme, and is a good athlete.

Lions drafted Jemar Jefferson late, signed Jamal Williams in FA and drafted Deandre Swift high last year. Again, tough to see them holding onto Kerryon. IMO, Johnson would have a Kenyan Drake impact in our offense. He is a nice all-around RB who has just not found his spot in Detroit.

3 - Practice squad guys. Keep in mind that those late round picks we "missed on" will be available to AZ if the teams try to sneak them onto their practice squads. A very smart move by AZ to forgo that market. Examples:

If the Lions keep Kerryon and try to have Jemar on their PS, Cardinals can just sign him.

With SF, they already have Gallman, Hasty and Mostert and then drafted Trey Sermon and Elijah Mitchell. I don't see them carrying 5 RBs on the roster.

Could the Jaguars be open to trading James Robinson? Drafted Etienne and signed Carlos Hyde who the staff has a history with, and also have Armstead and Ozigbo. Not gonna keep them all.

good stuff chopper as always

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Teams routinely sign guys mid year after injuries to their starters and miss nary a beat.

And the people talking about the Steelers drafting Najee and how great he is going to do, but ignoring how bad the Steelers OL might potentially be....LOL.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Teams routinely sign guys mid year after injuries to their starters and miss nary a beat.

And the people talking about the Steelers drafting Najee and how great he is going to do, but ignoring how bad the Steelers OL might potentially be....LOL.

Unfortunately, that does not usually work with cornerbacks during the season. :(

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that does not usually work with cornerbacks during the season. :(

I think the Cardinals add a replacement level vet during training camp.

Clearly they will be running more zone and letting the front seven do its job.

Stout

Reaction score
Project ILB? LOL

Collins isn't a project.

We'll see. All this rose-colored glasses "he's just a plug-and-play starter" talk is nonsense. We can HOPE he's that guy, but there's no way of knowing. I would be THRILLED if that were the case, but...well, I won't re-hash my doubts.

Can't predict injuries.

Oh, can't we? That's a lovely copout that says you can't possibly be flawed in your assessment, but it doesn't hold up. If you simply wave injury concerns away with a "can't predict injuries" wand, we'd be thrilled to have Alford back at CB. I'm not; are you?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We'll see. All this rose-colored glasses "he's just a plug-and-play starter" talk is nonsense. We can HOPE he's that guy, but there's no way of knowing. I would be THRILLED if that were the case, but...well, I won't re-hash my doubts.

Oh, can't we? That's a lovely copout that says you can't possibly be flawed in your assessment, but it doesn't hold up. If you simply wave injury concerns away with a "can't predict injuries" wand, we'd be thrilled to have Alford back at CB. I'm not; are you?

Theres no way of knowing whether EITHER WAY.

The rest of us, I don't know, just watch his film, listen to him talk, you know....have an open mind about it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

What am I missing? We can only HOPE he's a Plug and Play guy, but we do KNOW he's a Project.

Stout

Reaction score
What am I missing? We can only HOPE he's a Plug and Play guy, but we do KNOW he's a Project.

We can HOPE he's a plug and play guy, but I THINK he's a project.

Theres no way of knowing whether EITHER WAY.

The rest of us, I don't know, just watch his film, listen to him talk, you know....have an open mind about it.

That's great, have an "open mind" about it. I don't have to wait and see next season to be dissatisfied with the signing now.