Suns @ Thunder Sunday game thread 5-2-2021

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Lord you guys are ridiculous

The suns just went through one of the toughest stretches any team has faced all year, going 5-2 against some of the best teams in the league

Ayton was good for most of the time

it’s no surprising the team was a little burned out at the end of the game after being up for those seven hard games

We have the best record in the league and y’all are acting like we’re competing for the number one draft pick

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we don't want to admit it, but Booker is a liability at the ends of games. If Paul is healthy and functional, Booker should be benched in crunch time in favor of Carter or someone else who can keep himself engaged mentally.

Putting the ball in Paul's hands at the end? I agree. Benching. Hell no. I mean hell to the no. I have seen way too many times him get easy layups at the ends of the game with nobody able to stop him. What the Suns need to stop doing is getting away from Paul being the floor general. I have seen so many times Paul just defer to Booker handling the ball down the stretch. Do what you did to get to that point.

In terms of Ayton. We all know his issues are mental. I am not shocked to see him struggle a bit and be inconsistent. Let's hope he gets back on track soon.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good Lord you guys are ridiculous

The suns just went through one of the toughest stretches any team has faced all year, going 5-2 against some of the best teams in the league

Ayton was good for most of the time

it’s no surprising the team was a little burned out at the end of the game after being up for those seven hard games

We have the best record in the league and y’all are acting like we’re competing for the number one draft pick
This is just a misstatement of fact.

he is averaging 10pts and 10rebs over the past nine games and his defense hasn’t been the constant it’s been in the past when he has these subpar statistical games and in last nights and the Celtics game is defense and motor were flat out atrocious.

it’s an amazing stretch of wins, and no doubt they don’t pull it out without Ayton, but at times he made the feat more difficult than it had to be.

he’s not a rookie anymore. He’s not a second year player who missed a bunch of games due to being suspended. He’s at the tail end of his third season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he’s not a rookie anymore. He’s not a second year player who missed a bunch of games due to being suspended. He’s at the tail end of his third season.

All true but he has missed significant time as well. He isn't a prototypical 3rd year player. Having said that he should be more consistent than he is. When he is playing great this is a completely different team...at times dominant. We need him to get over his mental roadblocks down this stretch entering the playoffs. I will say this now. Without Ayton playing well? We won't make it very far in the playoffs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just a misstatement of fact.

he is averaging 10pts and 10rebs over the past nine games and his defense hasn’t been the constant it’s been in the past when he has these subpar statistical games and in last nights and the Celtics game is defense and motor were flat out atrocious.

it’s an amazing stretch of wins, and no doubt they don’t pull it out without Ayton, but at times he made the feat more difficult than it had to be.

it’s not just Ayton that people are complaining about

Do you have people calling for Booker to be benched

and in general calling into question the suns just because they struggled a bit at the end versus the thunder

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

and in general calling into question the suns just because they struggled a bit at the end versus the thunder
One guy called for benching Book. The rest said absolutely not.

when the starters came back in at the end of the Thunder game, they looked disinterested. I think that probably happens with really good teams. It’s been 10 years so I don’t remember if so.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Only at the ends of games. Do you remember the Suns' offense suffering in those cases where Booker had fouled out? (Hint: No.) He's not a net positive in crunch time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You saying he doesn’t look like a teenager here?

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sure there is another possible explanation besides age.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1

The above link is the NBA.Com Clutch Stats.

If you sort by "Clutch Wins"

Ayton and Bridges are #2. Paul and Booker are tied at #5.

Points in the clutch: Paul is #18 and Booker is #38.

Shooting Percentage in the clutch: Booker is shooting 31.6% and a woeful 18.5% from 3. This is likely what Eric is talking about.

Booker still has a decent +1.6 in the clutch though so his awful shooting isn't costing us YET because our team defense is so good.

I see both sides of this discussion as having merit. Ultimately Booker needs to do better in big moments.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Only at the ends of games. Do you remember the Suns' offense suffering in those cases where Booker had fouled out? (Hint: No.) He's not a net positive in crunch time.
Taking him off the floor is not the answer as he is the guy the defense prepares the most for. If anything they need to use these last few games of the regular season to figure out how to best utilize him ON the floor in those situations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm fine with Booker. He brings the effort every night. I'm sure Paul and Booker work on end of game strategy.

Ayton clearly has had issues the past four games. Usually he snaps out of it but perhaps fatigue is an issue as well.

Something to consider. Ayton only played in 38 games last season part of that due to a 25 game suspension. He has already played 64 games this season. Maybe some rest would do him good. Unfortunately that doesn't appear possible.

Saric looks better after missing a few games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

One person does not “people” make.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm fine with Booker. He brings the effort every night. I'm sure Paul and Booker work on end of game strategy.

Ayton clearly has had issues the past four games. Usually he snaps out of it but perhaps fatigue is an issue as well.

Something to consider. Ayton only played in 38 games last season part of that due to a 25 game suspension. He has already played 64 games this season. Maybe some rest would do him good. Unfortunately that doesn't appear possible.

Unless e is right and he’s an old man he’s a kid. This shouldn’t be a problem for him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Unless e is right and he’s an old man he’s a kid. This shouldn’t be a problem for him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you have ONE person calling for Booker to be benched and everyone else disagreeing with him.

and no one is calling the Suns into question in general. Just frustrated with inability to close games. Which newsflash, THE SUNS THEMSELVES AGREED WITH IN NUMEROUS STATEMENTS AFTER THE GAME.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys think we are frustrated? Click on Clutch losses. Other teams have it WAY worse than us

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Even if Ayton is somewhere in between he should be fine.

All I know those Thunder players were whizzing by him last night completely indifferent to him. He seems to be a step slow the past several games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i really hope fatigue isn’t the reason. 22 year old kids shouldn’t be fatigued only 3/4s of the way through what would normally be an 82 game season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Brown / Tatum duo doesn't actually walk on water despite what the Eastern based Sports Media thinks?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of not missing someone when they are out. Worst clutch plus minus on the team

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Clutch + / - on the team: Ayton

Then Cam Johnson and Booker right below him

Staff online