2021 2nd round pick is Rondale Moore WR

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The entire discussion was about how there are probably more failed tall WRs than short ones, and my point was that WRs of that height don't make it to the next levels because they're just not in demand.

If there's 1000 WRs playing in college over 6'0, and 300 under 5'9, "more failed tall WRs" is just going to make sense by volume.

I’ll bet more tall first round busts than short first round busts bc the short stature plays against them in the draft process. So I’ll bet there’s just fewer in aggregate drafted in first round, period. The better datapoint would be percentage of each drafted in each round, that pass and fail.

after running through the last 5 drafts, not including 2021 or 2020 because it’s too soon to determine pass or fail on picks, 19% of receivers taken that are over 6’ feet tall can be considered successful. Whereas the below 6’ group is at 23%. I considered a successful career as someone that has averaged at least 500 yards per season because I didn’t organize it by round. Solar you were right that many more players were taken that were above 6’(115 to 42).

In my research I found another player that I think would be a good comp for Rondale Moore. Jamison Crowder of the NYJ. Moore is more explosive and has more top end speed, but he doesn’t have the hands crowder has either. I’m very excited to see Moore in our offense.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nobody:

Him: *I want to feel human again by selecting an offball LB in first round and a short receiver in second round*

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s actually a good comp. herky-jerky still based on instant re-acceleration. I was thinking watching him it wouldn’t work at the NFL level, but you’re pointing out kyler’s success gives me more confidence.
I feel good about him once the ball is in his hands. Its getting it there thats going to be an issue.

I saw an interesting comparison. Darren Sproles.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after running through the last 5 drafts, not including 2021 or 2020 because it’s too soon to determine pass or fail on picks, 19% of receivers taken that are over 6’ feet tall can be considered successful. Whereas the below 6’ group is at 23%. I considered a successful career as someone that has averaged at least 500 yards per season because I didn’t organize it by round. Solar you were right that many more players were taken that were above 6’(115 to 42).

In my research I found another player that I think would be a good comp for Rondale Moore. Jamison Crowder of the NYJ. Moore is more explosive and has more top end speed, but he doesn’t have the hands crowder has either. I’m very excited to see Moore in our offense.

so, moore is more explosive and has top end speed but not as good hands as Crowder... and they somehow comp to each other?

not being snarky here... just wondering how they compare if their speed and hands are both different than each other. Simply based on size?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
so, moore is more explosive and has top end speed but not as good hands as Crowder... and they somehow comp to each other?

not being snarky here... just wondering how they compare if their speed and hands are both different than each other. Simply based on size?
Lateral quickness and their ability to start and stop effortlessly and get in and out of their cuts.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Crowder was used primarily his first year in Washington as a gadget/screen receiver while he worked his way through his rookie season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope this kid’s good. I’ve been banging on the “team speed” table all off-season. Hopefully this kid is part of the solution there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Thx for this! Crowder is interesting comp - but you’re spot on about the hands. Crowder has excellent hands.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Round 2, No. 49 overall: Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue

Arizona already has receivers who look like Moore, who's 5-foot-7 and 181 pounds, in Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella, both of whom were also taken in the second round. But Moore can separate himself if he can make big plays and be consistently productive. With his speed and quickness, Moore has the potential to be a major cog in the Cardinals' offense but he needs to stay healthy. He played in just eight games during his final two seasons at Purdue because of injuries.

https://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-c...draft-picks-2021-analysis-for-every-selection

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, if KK is as creative and smart as the front office must have thought he was when hiring him, this will be just the kind of player he needs to complete our offensive onslaught.

I sure hope so considering there were so many players on the board at that time who could have helped us in several greater areas of weakness. We surely weren't going to fill all our needs in this draft with so few picks anyway, so if he turns out to fire up our offense, it will be a fun and worthwhile pick, and we will all enjoy it for years to come.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, brown was more than “serviceable.” He was a very good pick.

second, you’re absolutely right that his track record selecting wrs has been absolutely dreadful. But does that mean the cardinals just throw their hands up in the air and never draft another receiver again as long as he’s gm? That’s not a workable game plan.

Brown's first 2 years he had 1 good season his rookie year and one better than average season.

I don't want him spending any WR in the first 3 rounds, because these are the rounds you can't afford to miss. He is batting 0-fer. None of the pass catchers he has drafted has seen a 2nd contract right? I realize it isn't feasible to never draft a WR, but he keeps swinging for the fences and striking out over and over.

I would have preferred him trading down or even out of the 2nd round. When you fail so bad at drafting, you need as many chances as you can to hope one or two succeed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, he is a speed guy that has multiple hamstring injuries in college and seems to be too big for his little frame. I see him on the injury table more than being a productive 2nd round pick.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Furthermore, he is a speed guy that has multiple hamstring injuries in college and seems to be too big for his little frame. I see him on the injury table more than being a productive 2nd round pick.
So Christian Kirk v.2.0?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple more things on Rondale. #1 probably been pointed out in 27 pages but the Cards do NOT have a pass receiving TE on the roster right now. We will probably add one if we can but the point is, it's somewhat likely we'll play more 4 Wr this year than we did the last 2 years. Not as much as Kliff wanted to play when he came into the league I'm sure, but more than we have seen. Moore is the perfect fit for that if you have 4 WR's on the field you have 2 slot guys. Even with nickel packages etc you are not going to find very many NFL teams that have enough DB depth that they have a 4th best cover guy who can handle Rondale Moore out of the slot.

Secondly after reading more, Keim made it clear they see Moore as a returns guy too. His college numbers were not that impressive 20 YPR on KO's and 7 on punts but Keim seems to be saying they plan to at least try him on returns. The fact that Isabella was so disappointing at WR sort of overshadowed that the guy we said was going to be our returns guy last year wound up returning TWO kickoffs for 30 yards and ONE punt for ONE yard last year! I know it was a Covid season so he didn't get camp etc to get acclimated to that but we were told he was going to be the guy, we let Pharoah Cooper go because we thought Andy was going to handle the returns and he was so bad at it we were afraid to put him out there for fear he wouldn't catch the ball clean, or would fumble.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
First, brown was more than “serviceable.” He was a very good pick.

second, you’re absolutely right that his track record selecting wrs has been absolutely dreadful. But does that mean the cardinals just throw their hands up in the air and never draft another receiver again as long as he’s gm? That’s not a workable game plan.

Sunk cost fallacy is alive and well here.

Hey! Our WRs suck and Keim has used some capital on them so let's stop trying to fill an important position that isn't good enough.

Dumb. Real dumb.

Like I've said, I can literally point out a part of Moore's skill set that should be an big upgrade for the Cardinals.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sunk cost fallacy is alive and well here.

Hey! Our WRs suck and Keim has used some capital on them so let's stop trying to fill an important position that isn't good enough.

Dumb. Real dumb.

Like I've said, I can literally point out a part of Moore's skill set that should be an big upgrade for the Cardinals.

Sunk cost fallacy is one thing, but ignoring Keim's trend of picking fast, undersized, and underwhelming WRs is quite another. The definition of insanity and all that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sunk cost fallacy is one thing, but ignoring Keim's trend of picking fast, undersized, and underwhelming WRs is quite another. The definition of insanity and all that.

Nobody had ever heard the phrase "sunk cost fallacy" until someone used it for Rosen. Now can't go a draft without it being thrown around about 50 times.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Like John Brown...?

and it has nothing to do with a trend or KEIM's affinity, but the fact the O-coordinator believes that he needs this piece to properly run his passing offence.

Last edited: