2021 2nd round pick is Rondale Moore WR

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My thoughts:

I generally don't want to draft height/speed outliers, but you have to focus on the person.

It worked out with Kyler because of his drive and his elite athletic ability.

Rondale Moore has elite athletic ability. We don't know about his drive, but I'd wager he has the kind of drive because of his weightroom prowess. A player of his size isn't going to get to a 600 lb squat without working extremely hard.

Rondale has size limitations, so that means he can't be used the same way a 6'2 fast guy can. This pick really comes down to whether he is used correctly, used often enough, and he stays healthy.

Rondale fits a very specific niche in this offense:. He is a dynamo on bubble screens and jet sweeps. It drove me NUTS last year watching Kliff run bubble screens to Hopkins and Fitzgerald. I can't remember either of them having ANY success running those plays. Moore has a chance to be feature on these plays. Also running mesh with Kirk over the middle should be deadly in 10 personnel.

I like this pick because I can very much see how he fits; most first year receivers wouldn't get much play in this offense because I doubt whether they would supplant Hop, Kirk, or Green. This kid doesn't supplant them; he supplements them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There is a difference between being "Small" and being Short.

I don't consider Rondale Moore "Small". He is short and compact.

You must be registered for see images attach

I consider Devonta Smith "Small". He looks like he will snap in a stiff wind.

I've always thought it was funny when people equate height as small.

Joe Morris back in the day was 5'7 but 200+ lbs. That's short, not small.

Kyler is over 200. If you equate his relative thickness to a guy who is 6'2, that's like a 220 lb dude, thicker than Lamar Jackson.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grade
A

Arizona Cardinals
Day 2 draft picks

Day 1 grade: A-

Analysis: I had Moore going to the Cardinals at No. 49 in my seven-round mock draft, adding some much-needed competition among the group of receivers (former second-rounders Christian Kirk, Andy Isabella) battling for targets opposite DeAndre Hopkins and A.J. Green. Moore will give the offense a boost if he can stay healthy. The Cardinals traded their third-round pick to the Raiders for center Rodney Hudson earlier this offseason. He’ll a big upgrade at that position.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we'd moved down and taken him in the first I'd be complaining like everyone else but where we picked him, potential steal.

I wish he returned punts, college stats say he wasn't very good at it when they tried it, but he is a perfect YAC receiver.

As for the can he take the top off the defense, we don't honestly know that wasn't really in the offense at Purdue they were a dink and dunk team without a QB with a good arm. Remember a couple of years ago when Detroit had QB injuries and were playing David Blough at Qb and people were openly saying how does a guy with an arm that weak start NFL games? That's the best QB Moore played with at Purdue, that was his freshman year QB. Soph year the QB's were a true freshman, and a soph who didn't play a snap as a freshman. This year it was those same 2 guys a year older. Again dink and dunk offense they don't have a WR on the roster who averaged even 13 YPC they were all short passes.

Is he Tyreek Hill or Steve Smith I doubt it, but I think he can help us.

I just wish he could return punts

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
observation/ guess:

Kliff feels he needs a skill set like this for his offense. It cant be a coincidence that they look for this kind of player --

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And Taylor Gabriel ran 4.27 at 5'8, 168, and is out of the league.

What's the point? Hill is a complete outlier. Using him like it's the norm doesn't make sense.
Taylor Gabriel ran a 4.4 at 13 pounds less, came from a small school in Abilene Christian, went undrafted, and still etched out a 6 year career in the NFL. You’re just looking for a small body to compare him to completely ignoring the fact that he’s more compact and stronger. Cole Beasley measured a hair under 5’ 8” and weighed 175. This past year almost had 1,000 yards. Tyler Lockett 5’ 10” weighing 181. Tyreek Hill 5’ 8” 185. Antonio brown 5’ 9” 185.

Todays NFL receivers don’t need a huge catch radius to be successful. Today’s slot receiver needs to be agile, electric, and able to separate on short to intermediate routes. That’s what he can do. He is a true competitor and when he gets the ball in his hands he’s looking to score TDs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Taylor Gabriel ran a 4.4 at 13 pounds less, came from a small school in Abilene Christian, went undrafted, and still etched out a 6 year career in the NFL. You’re just looking for a small body to compare him to completely ignoring the fact that he’s more compact and stronger. Cole Beasley measured a hair under 5’ 8” and weighed 175. This past year almost had 1,000 yards. Tyler Lockett 5’ 10” weighing 181. Tyreek Hill 5’ 8” 185. Antonio brown 5’ 9” 185.

Todays NFL receivers don’t need a huge catch radius to be successful. Today’s slot receiver needs to be agile, electric, and able to separate on short to intermediate routes. That’s what he can do. He is a true competitor and when he gets the ball in his hands he’s looking to score TDs.

The idea that Moore will fail based on being short is a rather silly argument. There are plenty of examples of short players who HAVE succeeded in the NFL.

I'm much more concerned about his injury history, but that's the reason Moore is available at #49. At that point in the draft, EVERY player has some concern, or they would have been taken earlier.

Moore fits a very specific niche in this offense that has never been filled since Kliff took over. Players fit is so important during the draft and Moore fits what Kliff tries to do. Now it's up to Moore staying healthy and Kliff using him the right way.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The idea that Moore will fail based on being short is a rather silly argument. There are plenty of examples of short players who HAVE succeeded in the NFL.

I'm much more concerned about his injury history, but that's the reason Moore is available at #49. At that point in the draft, EVERY player has some concern, or they would have been taken earlier.

Moore fits a very specific niche in this offense that has never been filled since Kliff took over. Players fit is so important during the draft and Moore fits what Kliff tries to do. Now it's up to Moore staying healthy and Kliff using him the right way.

I’m willing to guess there’s just as many short receivers that have failed in the NFL as there are big tall receivers. N’keal Harry, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Doctson, and Laquan Treadwell all first round busts with a big catch radius, but they either can’t catch or separate :shrug:

Reaction score
I'm just concerned with Kyler's tendency to over shoot tall guys over the middle I can only imagine if he hasn't fixed that what throwing to Rondale will be like. Kyler jump throws over the middle which I detest about him most outside of his many wonders. Ultimately Kyler and Kliff have to become NFL material and not just NFL potential.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SK: "Our QB Kyler Murray is a big fan of yours."

I've sounded more excited when I get a call from some Indian guy telling me he's phoning from Microsoft about my computer problem.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m willing to guess there’s just as many short receivers that have failed in the NFL as there are big tall receivers. N’keal Harry, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Doctson, and Laquan Treadwell all first round busts with a big catch radius, but they either can’t catch or separate :shrug:
I would guess there's more failed tall WRs that made it because you'd better offer game breaking speed, route running, or hands to be a short WR even in college. There's just not that many guys out there where, whereas a big dude is at least likely to be strong or tall enough to catch over others' heads.

It's kinda like basketball, where there's likely a lot more failed 7 foot centers than 5'9 centers because very few exist even at the lowest levels.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
He hates RBs, so much so he'd have probably preferred a punter to RB.

Its about as rational to draft a first round rb at 16 as drafting a punter in round two (looking at our very own Mr. Licht doing business in Tampa) :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the tech guy does your spider chart but forgets to input your measurements

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would guess there's more failed tall WRs that made it because you'd better offer game breaking speed, route running, or hands to be a short WR even in college. There's just not that many guys out there where, whereas a big dude is at least likely to be strong or tall enough to catch over others' heads.

It's kinda like basketball, where there's likely a lot more failed 7 foot centers than 5'9 centers because very few exist even at the lowest levels.

5'9" centres are all the rage in elementary school and nowhere else because they don't exist. Short WR's exist at all levels of football.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall has a knee that scouts are worried about. He had it scoped in January, they said he was 100% for his pro day and ran and jumped well but apparently people who got access to the scans on the knee had concerns it wasn't really 100%.
Thank you for posting this

I didn't know why either