A Dilemma of Moore or Less

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This was one of the most highly discussed players among scouts. The general belief was that one of 2 things was true. Either injuries had diminished his talent or he’d focused so much on building strength and power, he’d sacrificed speed and quickness. 3 years ago he was the top offensive weapon in the Big 10. 2 years ago his season was chopped up by injuries, but he had his moments. Last year’s results were worse. As you know I’m okay with throwing out last year. However, Moore concerned me not with poor stats, but rather with the fact he just didn’t look right.

The player he once was would have been a great fit into this offense; a true impact weapon. So it really comes down to whether Moore can resurrect the player he once was or has he fundamentally diminish his talent. I cannot tell you the answer. That’s why I preferred D'Wayne Eskridge. I can tell you if he returns his form to be even close to the 2018 Moore, he’ll add a new gear to this offense. It’s a big gamble but you have to be intrigued by the possibilities. I wish Keim had a better history of drafting but you have to admit he’s not intimidated by past failures. I’m honestly excited to see what Moore brings. This could be a very exciting season ahead.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing...this year really can be thrown out. Maybe he was hurt, maybe he had Covid...either way 3 of his games were cancelled...the whole college football season was just bad.

Anyway, I think the 2018 version is what we are going to get. His pro day highlights and numbers look awesome. He seems fully healthy.

I think he is goin to be great in this offense, and as our 3rd or 4th WR he brings a whole new dimension. If AJ Green and Kirk can be even 1/2 way decent at occupying their men....Moore should be a YAC nightmare underneath.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I liked on Eskridge is he can return punts, doesn't seem Moore can. But athletically Moore blew Eskridge away. Moore's vertical and squats tell you he's got insane lower leg strength.

For me it's simple if he was really injured last year it's a risk, but it appears lots of people believe he either had Covid or sat out because of it he wasn't actually hurt

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing...this year really can be thrown out. Maybe he was hurt, maybe he had Covid...either way 3 of his games were cancelled...the whole college football season was just bad.

Anyway, I think the 2018 version is what we are going to get. His pro day highlights and numbers look awesome. He seems fully healthy.

I think he is goin to be great in this offense, and as our 3rd or 4th WR he brings a whole new dimension. If AJ Green and Kirk can be even 1/2 way decent at occupying their men....Moore should be a YAC nightmare underneath.
He 100% sat out the final 3 games last year due to Covid. The 3 game he did play he was pretty solid, but it was ultimately only 3 games.

Here is an article where he explained his decision to opt out of the rest of 2020 due to Covid.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...es-2020-season-prepares-nfl-draft/3314477001/

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He 100% sat out the final 3 games last year due to Covid. The 3 game he did play he was pretty solid, but it was ultimately only 3 games.

Here is an article where he explained his decision to opt out of the rest of 2020 due to Covid.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...es-2020-season-prepares-nfl-draft/3314477001/

I can't read it but I think that's when he INITIALLY opted out. He changed his mind, came back but either got Covid or decided to sit out again based on rumor.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I can't read it but I think that's when he INITIALLY opted out. He changed his mind, came back but either got Covid or decided to sit out again based on rumor.
Yeah, didn't notice that. Not completely sure then.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was one of the most highly discussed players among scouts. The general belief was that one of 2 things was true. Either injuries had diminished his talent or he’d focused so much on building strength and power, he’d sacrificed speed and quickness. 3 years ago he was the top offensive weapon in the Big 10. 2 years ago his season was chopped up by injuries, but he had his moments. Last year’s results were worse. As you know I’m okay with throwing out last year. However, Moore concerned me not with poor stats, but rather with the fact he just didn’t look right.

The player he once was would have been a great fit into this offense; a true impact weapon. So it really comes down to whether Moore can resurrect the player he once was or has he fundamentally diminish his talent. I cannot tell you the answer. That’s why I preferred D'Wayne Eskridge. I can tell you if he returns his form to be even close to the 2018 Moore, he’ll add a new gear to this offense. It’s a big gamble but you have to be intrigued by the possibilities. I wish Keim had a better history of drafting but you have to admit he’s not intimidated by past failures. I’m honestly excited to see what Moore brings. This could be a very exciting season ahead.

...but you have to admit he’s not intimidated by past failures.

I think it was Forrest Gump's mother who said" Stupid is what stupid does".

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's overdeveloped his leg muscles to the point that his muscles aren't as flexible and are more prone to strains and tears. Does a WR need to squat 600 pounds when he is just 5'7 180?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ran 4.29 at his Pro Day, according to Keim with a Card coach in attendance.

It was a hamstring injury that complicated things.

It's officially 4.33 but he doesn't look that quick on film. He's not slow, but he's no burner.

Most concerning is Andy Isabella's college tape is full of him burning people downfield. I don't see any of that in Moore's film.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's overdeveloped his leg muscles to the point that his muscles aren't as flexible and are more prone to strains and tears. Does a WR need to squat 600 pounds when he is just 5'7 180?

When you are only 5'7" you don't have to move the bar very far. Normally the worlds best squatters are the shorter guys.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's officially 4.33 but he doesn't look that quick on film. He's not slow, but he's no burner.

Most concerning is Andy Isabella's college tape is full of him burning people downfield. I don't see any of that in Moore's film.
Well Andy Isabella was playing against mostly bank tellers.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

The biggest difference IMO - Isabella was straight line speed only (no agility) and we have seen that same thing in the NFL.

Moore makes guys miss and then hits another gear. I also think he will be a weapon in the return game.

Both guys are tiny but I like Moore's skillset and how that may translate vs AI (which has been proven).

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think there is a mix up. 4.33 is what he ran out of HS. Next Gen messed up.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The biggest difference IMO - Isabella was straight line speed only (no agility) and we have seen that same thing in the NFL.

Moore makes guys miss and then hits another gear. I also think he will be a weapon in the return game.

Both guys are tiny but I like Moore's skillset and how that may translate vs AI (which has been proven).

I think this is the biggest difference. Both guys have similar 40's, but Moore is so much twitchy and stronger. He doesn't have to just run by guys...he can also go around or through...but he can also just burn them deep if needed.

I said earlier I thought Moore was going to be OROTY...and I'm going to stick to it, even though I was thinking he would go late 1st to a playoff team.

If Kingsbury is an actually offensive visionary, we should expect Moore to thrive in all purpose yards. Just get him the damn ball!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is the biggest difference. Both guys have similar 40's, but Moore is so much twitchy and stronger. He doesn't have to just run by guys...he can also go around or through...but he can also just burn them deep if needed.

I said earlier I thought Moore was going to be OROTY...and I'm going to stick to it, even though I was thinking he would go late 1st to a playoff team.

If Kingsbury is an actually offensive visionary, we should expect Moore to thrive in all purpose yards. Just get him the damn ball!

He runs through scrubs in college. Wait until he meets the bigger, faster NFL guys who can actually tackle.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An NFL Trainer can easily tone his legs down if need be. What is more concerning are the twitchy guys with stick legs that have hammy issues. Squatting 600 lbs at 180 is ridiculous. I was on the powerlifting competition circuit for 5-6 years & that’s a feat. I started in the 181 class, so I can appreciate that. I thickened up & had to move to 202. An old college baseball injury (severe groin pull) prevented me from ever trying 600. There were roided guys who did more, but I only competed in the steroid free events when you actually got tested beforehand. I can look at the pics of Moore and tell you he never did steroids.