Gotta get this off my chest

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry to distract us all from the draft, but I need to bring up Jordan Phillips.

I was cautiously optimistic when we first signed this guy even though I feel like the majority of us thought we reached on him and most certainly overpaid for him after only one productive season in Buffalo.

With that said, I remember watching his first “press conference” that occurred over zoom and he was asked a question and his response has resonated with me to this day.

He was asked a questions along the lines of staying in shape in the offseason. A reporter basically asked if he’s still working out even though it was the beginning stages of facilities and gyms being shut down due to covid. Nonchalantly he was like no I’m not working out. I’ve been busy moving and recently had a kid. It seemed so evident that football wasn’t a passion for him in that moment.

Maybe last year he was just unlucky with the injuries. Or maybe he’s a guy who isn’t willing to put in the necessary work to have his body peak in physically performance. I hope he’s not a guy that we look back on as a guy who took the money and ran. Please, prove me wrong Jordan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to distract us all from the draft, but I need to bring up Jordan Phillips.

I was cautiously optimistic when we first signed this guy even though I feel like the majority of us thought we reached on him and most certainly overpaid for him after only one productive season in Buffalo.

With that said, I remember watching his first “press conference” that occurred over zoom and he was asked a question and his response has resonated with me to this day.

He was asked a questions along the lines of staying in shape in the offseason. A reporter basically asked if he’s still working out even though it was the beginning stages of facilities and gyms being shut down due to covid. Nonchalantly he was like no I’m not working out. I’ve been busy moving and recently had a kid. It seemed so evident that football wasn’t a passion for him in that moment.

Maybe last year he was just unlucky with the injuries. Or maybe he’s a guy who isn’t willing to put in the necessary work to have his body peak in physically performance. I hope he’s not a guy that we look back on as a guy who took the money and ran. Please, prove me wrong Jordan.

who?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ridiculous, he put forward effort for his end of contract year

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

so you mean during the start of the pandemic and when no one knew anything about what was really going on and the country was shutting down he was more worried about his family and his new born baby?

and you find something wrong with this? Matter it’s been in your chest for the last year?

seriously some of these dudes kill me. Hey Kyler likes to play video games to ooooooh noooooo

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I got flamed by Finito for the same thing at the time of that press conference. Big dude who isn't committed to training? Most NFL players found a way to make it happen.

You must be registered for see images attach

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got flamed by Finito for the same thing at the time of that press conference. Big dude who isn't committed to training? Most NFL players found a way to make it happen.

made me laugh.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so you mean during the start of the pandemic and when no one knew anything about what was really going on and the country was shutting down he was more worried about his family and his new born baby?

and you find something wrong with this? Matter it’s been in your chest for the last year?

seriously some of these dudes kill me. Hey Kyler likes to play video games to ooooooh noooooo

No one is faulting Jordan for wanting to prioritize his family. With that said, as a player who is being paid 10mil plus a year, you would think you would have a sense of moral obligation to your employer to earn that pay by simultaneously making your job a priority.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Phillips played ok last year when healthy. I think he will break out again this year with some help on the D-Line

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is faulting Jordan for wanting to prioritize his family. With that said, as a player who is being paid 10mil plus a year, you would think you would have a sense of moral obligation to your employer to earn that pay by simultaneously making your job a priority.

As someone who’s done well for himself when I hear guys complain about so and so is getting this much money they should act this way or like this. First thing I think of is they must be broke.

I don’t care how much money someone is making at the end of the day he’s a man before anything in this world and his first obligation should be to his family.

if I felt my child could be in any harm I don’t give a damn how much money was on the table.

and honestly I’m shocked some of you guys think this way. These are just men at the end of the day. Matter of fact the NFL is the most ruthless when it comes to cutting guys and non guaranteed money.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As someone who’s done well for himself when I hear guys complain about so and so is getting this much money they should act this way or like this. First thing I think of is they must be broke.

I don’t care how much money someone is making at the end of the day he’s a man before anything in this world and his first obligation should be to his family.

if I felt my child could be in any harm I don’t give a damn how much money was on the table.

and honestly I’m shocked some of you guys think this way. These are just men at the end of the day. Matter of fact the NFL is the most ruthless when it comes to cutting guys and non guaranteed money.

If you are insinuating I'm broke because of this post, that's pretty hilarious my friend.

But I disagree with your logic. For players who are making significantly more money than their peers/teammates, are you suggesting that you don't believe they should be held to a higher standard?

I would argue that your highest paid players are expected to set the tone when it comes to their work ethic and to lead by example. I would also argue this is true in every organization. We all expect bosses/owners/CEO's/High-Level leaders to work as hard as everyone in the organization if not more. That's what leadership is all about.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I feel you Finito. I absolutely love your statement that "these are men at the end of the day" Personally. I'm not disagreeing with much of JL's post per se, but I can't damn a man when I don't know him personally, or I'm not in his inner circle to know just what he's doing when the cameras aren't on him. When he says he's not working out, does that mean he's not working out to the levels of a man who is talented enough to make it to the NFL, or is he working out "only" to the level of a supremely conditioned athlete, whose lightest workout day would probably kill the average man? The problem with the digital age and social media in sports is that people get too entitled thinking they're qualified to speak on another man's life because he's in the spotlight. His play will do the talking. Either he'll get it done or he won't. I've gotten so much of a more rational view of pro athletes and sports in my 40 plus years as a fan of all 4 major sports that I can't get hung up on what is said in front of a television camera or a microphone.

Reaction score
so he was the haason reddick of the bills
:confused:
So your saying the Bills coaching staff was playing Phillips out of position, in one of the most mentally difficult positions on the field, a position which he hadn't played prior to his professional career?

Let it go. . .

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:confused:
So your saying the Bills coaching staff was playing Phillips out of position, in one of the most mentally difficult positions on the field, a position which he hadn't played prior to his professional career?

Let it go. . .
sure, if that's what you wanna say it was.

why does everyone pretend reddick never played on the outside?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you are insinuating I'm broke because of this post, that's pretty hilarious my friend.

But I disagree with your logic. For players who are making significantly more money than their peers/teammates, are you suggesting that you don't believe they should be held to a higher standard?

I would argue that your highest paid players are expected to set the tone when it comes to their work ethic and to lead by example. I would also argue this is true in every organization. We all expect bosses/owners/CEO's/High-Level leaders to work as hard as everyone in the organization if not more. That's what leadership is all about.
I disagree. I don’t expect our CEO and President to work harder. I expect them to work smarter. And I expect them to create ways in which everyone below them in the organization can be more successful. And to lead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose