OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Wolf explained very well what the Cardinals are thinking about in regards to taking Zaven Collins.

Collins should be a high snap guy who stays on the field on every down, same with Simmons. That's pretty damn valuable if you think about it. Both can rush, both can cover, and both provide sideline-to-sideline ability.

Jordan Hicks and Campbell were awful last year, and were primary reasons for the defenses struggles at times. So I think when the team did some self scouting, they put this need much higher than we, the fans, did.

Bashaud Breeland could step in and play better than Kirkpatrick did last year. So could Steven Nelson. All is not lost.

Correct all is not lost. I am fine with old dudes holding up for 3 seconds while the pass rush does it's thing

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another silver lining thought (again, I am trying here). For years the Cardinals have gotten their butts kicked at the LOS. Both on offense and defense. It seems like there is a priority to change this. It seems to be following a bit of the Baltimore/Pittsburgh model.

I'm getting real excited about our LB core. Our DL could use some work but is servicable to above average if Watt can still play.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm getting real excited about our LB core. Our DL could use some work but is servicable to above average if Watt can still play.

If Peters/Fotu/Zach, etc can just play their assignments, plug holes and take on double teams that will leave Watt, Jones, Golden, Simmons and Collins to have the ability to make plays.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Peters/Fotu/Zach, etc can just play their assignments, plug holes and take on double teams that will leave Watt, Jones, Golden, Simmons and Collins to have the ability to make plays.
yeah I do not dislike the line and it has potential but it could use help. Some of those young guys could leap forward this year though.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Javonte Williams won't be there, so I think the offense is still going to be "LOL KM FTW." Drafting a WR doesn't change that. It really sucks not having a 3rd round pick.

As far as WR goes, it doesn't hurt to get Kyler some help, but we're SO bad at CB that it's almost impossible to overlook. The only reasonable choice out there besides the draft is Steven Nelson.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I stoked for our defense but man our offense with these backs scares me. Especially if KK sticks to one guy for the most part. Conner and Edmonds don’t seem like enough unless they are truly platooned.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Javonte Williams won't be there, so I think the offense is still going to be "LOL KM FTW." Drafting a WR doesn't change that. It really sucks not having a 3rd round pick.

As far as WR goes, it doesn't hurt to get Kyler some help, but we're SO bad at CB that it's almost impossible to overlook. The only reasonable choice out there besides the draft is Steven Nelson.

I'd rather have Rodney Hudson.

You do realize that there are still about 5 or 6 starting caliber corners still on the free agent market and most of these college players are going to suck?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I stoked for our defense but man our offense with these backs scares me. Especially if KK sticks to one guy for the most part. Conner and Edmonds don’t seem like enough unless they are truly platooned.

Was Drake and Edmonds enough? I would say they were adequate.

Conner > Drake.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd rather have Rodney Hudson.

You do realize that there are still about 5 or 6 starting caliber corners still on the free agent market and most of these college players are going to suck?
Trust me, I love Hudson too, but the lack of young talent on this team is very alarming. Especially the lack of young talent on speed-based positions like CB & WR. We don't have a CB on the roster that can even run in a straight line with the Seahawks or 49ers WRs, much less cover them.

Outside of Nelson and maybe Breeland, the remaining CBs are cooked. No interest here.

Knowing how much of our roster we have to fully reset just a year from now is uncomfortable, especially at a time we'll very likely be extending Kyler.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

So, in your estimation, the only way to take the burden off of Kyler is to draft a RB?

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Free agent CBs available and their ages:
Philip Gaines 30
Casey Hayward 32
Richard Sherman 33
Steven Nelson 28
DJ Hayder 31
Josh Norman 34
Buster Skrine 32
Jason McCourty 34
Brian Poole 29
Michael Davis 26
Bashaud Breeland 29
Jason Verrett 30
I would prefer to sign Michael Davis, Steven Nelson or Brian Poole.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Free agent CBs available and their ages:
Philip Gaines 30
Casey Hayward 32
Richard Sherman 33
Steven Nelson 28
DJ Hayder 31
Josh Norman 34
Buster Skrine 32
Jason McCourty 34
Brian Poole 29
Michael Davis 26
Bashaud Breeland 29
Jason Verrett 30
I would prefer to sign Michael Davis, Steven Nelson or Brian Poole.

A few of those guys are signed already (Davis and Verret) and some are nickels.

Breeland is decent and Nelson has been pretty good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Trust me, I love Hudson too, but the lack of young talent on this team is very alarming. Especially the lack of young talent on speed-based positions like CB & WR. We don't have a CB on the roster that can even run in a straight line with the Seahawks or 49ers WRs, much less cover them.

Outside of Nelson and maybe Breeland, the remaining CBs are cooked. No interest here.

Knowing how much of our roster we have to fully reset just a year from now is uncomfortable, especially at a time we'll very likely be extending Kyler.

How many good young players do the Rams have?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Why very likely?

We simply need to pick up his fifth-year option.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So, in your estimation, the only way to take the burden off of Kyler is to draft a RB?
Offensively? Yes, more or less. Either an RB or building such a dominant OL that nearly you or I could run behind it for 1,000 yards. Building a dominant defense is additionally something we can do to take the overall burden off Kyler, but if Kyler is having an off day or is struggling with an injury like last year, we could have 7 1st round picks at WR and it won't matter.

How many good young players do the Rams have?
A ton? Only 4 players on their roster are over 30, and one is their punter. That's 4 less 30+ year old players than we acquired in the offseason.

Why very likely?

We simply need to pick up his fifth-year option.
Because his contemporaries have seen extensions at that point in their careers? Mahomes and Watson both got extended after year 3. Josh Allen's in serious contract extension talks right now.