OT Trey Lance

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bay Area is going nuts over him. I admit I never paid much attention because I knew we were not going to pick him. I watched 2 highlight reels today, I have to admit he has obvious talent but I can see why they're saying Jimmy G is still the starter right now. He's VERY raw.

He's a great runner but with a caveat he's almost 100% north and south when he takes off he goes straight ahead, no wiggle just runs it and on several of the runs he gets hit head on and fights through it.I get why people love that big strong runner, but as a QB that's the LAST thing you want in a runner, a guy who takes on contact instead of avoiding it. I don't care who you are in the NFL you can't do that at QB and survive.

As a thrower, again 2 videos is all I watched, the next time he looks off a receiver will be the first. Most of the highlights he drops back, drops his shoulder and locks in on the guy running free deep and hits him. I don't know if it's the ball or what but he also doesn't seem to throw a nice spiral, lots of wobblers. they get there and he clearly has a strong arm but I can see why people are questioning the accuracy at least what I saw he does not throw a pretty ball.

Shanahan is terrific and he'll find a way to make lance effective I fully expect but I would not be surprised at all if he barely plays this year, just the bit I saw he looks nowhere close to NFL ready.

And at least he's not Aaron rodgers

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He takes them back to the Kaepernick days except he’s a much better thrower.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think he struggles with a lot of turnovers early on. The kid played one season at ND State...he has no idea what NFL defenses will be doing.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
high ceiling, low floor

SF may not know if he works until 2023

i also think if Jimmy G starts out the first four or five games at "meh" or worse - the pressure will start to build to put him in

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he struggles with a lot of turnovers early on. The kid played one season at ND State...he has no idea what NFL defenses will be doing.

He played a full year of college with 0 INT's which is amazing but competition level is not good.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not sure, Colin had a better arm he had an absolute freakish arm, and he could throw a spiral. His issue was always reading defenses and he ran so much he started to take too many hits and wasn't quite the same guy after that.

That would be my concern with Lance in one video alone at least 3 times he just lowers his head and runs into contact right up the field. On one of them he's got the ball and with his teammates help moves a pile about 4 yards way past the LOS. Yes that's fun to watch and as a teammate you love the competitiveness, but as a first round pick with millions invested if he does that in the NFL you are furious, get down you have the first down the last thing we want is you getting a knee or ankle rolled up trying to move a pile like that.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He played a full year of college with 0 INT's which is amazing but competition level is not good.

Yea...I think he WAY overtrusts his athletic ability both throwing and running....and it worked at ND State. He is going to learn quickly in the NFL he is not the best athlete on the field.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

He has 300 total college pass attempts! Played 1 game last year, against a 1-AA team and struggled...SF can't afford to sit him this year...It will really hurt him to not play for 2 straight seasons, especially with the fewest pass attempts, EVER, for a 1st round QB.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Kaep started all 4 years in college and had incremental passing growth each year...as a SR, he completed 65% for 3000 yards...had over 1200 total pass attempts. Lance has 300 total pass attempts in college. In no way, shape, or form, has Lance proven to be a better passer than Kaep. lol

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I'm convinced that Mac was who Shanny wanted and the FO won the draft argument. Mac Jones would have allowed them to ship off Jimmy G immediately. With Lance, even though they really can't afford to keep him on the bench, due to needing experience, they will probably keep Jimmy G for the time being.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is the QB most likely to bust in round 1. One year starters in a COVID year at QB it's just so easy for their performance to be an outlier. Combine that with the bust rate on one year starters it's not a favorable projection.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is the QB most likely to bust in round 1. One year starters in a COVID year at QB it's just so easy for their performance to be an outlier. Combine that with the bust rate on one year starters it's not a favorable projection.

he didn’t even really play in the Covid year.... the guy hasent played any real meaningful football since 2019

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
put 1200 on the books that the Niners would take Fields, what do I know. Lance is going to be interesting. He does have a proven NFL offensive coach to guide him so he has a chance

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kaep started all 4 years in college and had incremental passing growth each year...as a SR, he completed 65% for 3000 yards...had over 1200 total pass attempts. Lance has 300 total pass attempts in college. In no way, shape, or form, has Lance proven to be a better passer than Kaep. lol
Well Murray has proven that one year of success in college as a qb can equate to success in the NFL. Granted it’s a special case where he’s in the same offense since HS with a coach hired to specifically work with his talent but still.

Niners are hoping for a similar success for Lance like they did with Kaepernick. Someone that could wear down the defense with his legs as the quarters go on. I see him in a Mahomes position with him sitting for a year barring injury to Garappolo and trading the latter after his rookie year.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Well Murray has proven that one year of success in college as a qb can equate to success in the NFL. Granted it’s a special case where he’s in the same offense since HS with a coach hired to specifically work with his talent but still.

Niners are hoping for a similar success for Lance like the us did with Kaepernick. Someone that could wear down the defense with his legs as the quarters go on. I see him in a Mahomes positions with him sitting for a year barring injury to Garappolo and trading the latter after his rookie year.

Lance doesn't even have what you can call "1 year of success in college as a qb". You can only wear guys down with your legs for so long...eventually, you need to be able to throw the ball, to keep the legs/running QB threat legitimate.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Niners are hoping for a similar success for Lance like the us did with Kaepernick. Someone that could wear down the defense with his legs as the quarters go on. I see him in a Mahomes positions with him sitting for a year barring injury to Garappolo and trading the latter after his rookie year.

A year starting ar NDSU isnt the same as starting at OU

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score

Niners are hoping for a similar success for Lance like they did with Kaepernick. Someone that could wear down the defense with his legs as the quarters go on. I see him in a Mahomes position with him sitting for a year barring injury to Garappolo and trading the latter after his rookie year.

That would basically have him, an unproven and underwhelming college QB, missing 2 years of live action. That would be a total disaster for his career. He needs snaps...and a lot of them. If he had played 3 years in college and just missed his Sr year, due to covid/not playing, that would be different.

Reaction score
He's a great runner but with a caveat he's almost 100% north and south when he takes off he goes straight ahead, no wiggle just runs it and on several of the runs he gets hit head on and fights through it.I get why people love that big strong runner, but as a QB that's the LAST thing you want in a runner, a guy who takes on contact instead of avoiding it. I don't care who you are in the NFL you can't do that at QB and survive.
A QB whose best attribute is "a bruising runner", as I read on one review; he will be a NFL star, i.e. - Not For Long!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lance has the fewest college passing attempts of any QB drafted in the last 40 years

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A QB whose best attribute is "a bruising runner", as I read on one review; he will be a NFL star, i.e. - Not For Long!

Yeah he may very well be a star but he's going to have to learn to avoid contact.

Apparently out of HS all the big name schools that recruited him were going to convert him to DB so that's how he ended up at NDSU. So in that regard he made a HELL of a choice, highly unlikely he's the 3rd overall pick as a DB.

The general feeling from 49er fans I know is they are intrigued but "there's no way they made that trade planning to take him."