2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, even with the fans being mentally prepared for it. Can you imagine if fans didn't have a clue this was coming?

I just find it very interesting that our draft plan was pretty much detailed out. WRs and CBs are the top priority, trade down if they are gone, and Zaven Collins if no good trade down options. Then Keim has his prepared statement about not changing positions, not a position-less player, and will play the position similar to what he played in college.

Kinda funny. Kinda Sad. But might be the most self-aware thing I have ever seen the Cardinals organization do.

I am no fan of Keim but I'm 100% ok with this. I like that they had a plan and stuck to the plan. They didn't panic and think oh god no CB or WR on the board we like, and either make a bad trade down where they wind up not getting enough or panic and pick someone like Farley with a huge medical risk. THey spent months preparing for this I like that when the moment was there they trusted the work they'd done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s weird.

I almost wonder if they think they can trade Robinson and are trying to do that while saying he's the starter? It sounds like their offense is going to be much different than last year and so they want a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and that's more Etienne and not Robinson.

I do recall reading last year even as good as he was, I had him on my fantasy team, there was talk that many people felt Robinson would have a short career due to the style of running. He takes a ton of big hits and he was apparently playing nicked up all year as a result. If they had the same staff you could say ok maybe they just think they need another RB to reduce his workload but with anew coach it appears more like they want to play a different offense and don't think he fits it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
let's be honest - any of the remaining picks would've have generated about the same negative reaction - just from different mixtures of people.

Exactly. It's not like there were any locks.

Farley has major injury concerns. Same with Newsome and would have been a reach. Philips has 3 concussions and off field concerns.

It's not like Horn or AVT were there.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's supposed to be freakishly mobile for his size. Love his playing history - especially way back...

He played quarterback, linebacker and safety in high school. During his career, he had 4,084 rushing yards with 54 touchdowns and passed for 3,056 yards and 32 touchdowns.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue with it as long as he plays and produces. If Collins becomes an important piece of the defense who lives up to his draft status nobody will care where he was selected.
AVT was gone, Newsome and Farley have issues so it’s not as if they left a lockdown corner or stud lineman on the board to draft him.
Nobody was trading up for this pick so they selected the best player on their board.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still would have drafted Newsome over Collins 100%.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I forgot but I need to get this off my chest.

The NFL network SUCKS!

For every pick before us and every pick after they spent a bunch of the time talking about what they were going to do and what they did do.

When it got to the Cardinals pick they spent 10 minutes talking about Mac Jones and the Pats, then "Here comes the Cardinals pick. The Cardinals take Zaven Collins. Now let's go to an add break". Then when they come back it's all about the Raiders. They didn;t say jack about the Cards leading up to the pick or after the pick.

As it has always been, so shall it always will be.

Why do you keep talking about this when it’s been made clear he already fixed his weight?

I'm responding to posts about "if he shows up to camp overweight." Well, that would be stupid and a huge red flag. It wasn't fun learning Keim had to badger him and make him strip to prove he got rid of weight he shouldn't have gained, either.

It didn't help to learn from Gambo the Cardinals were trying to trade down and that if they couldn't, Zaven Collins was their likely choice.

Gambo is wrong. Keim denied any notion of doing anything but take Collins. That he didn't even consider trading back.

let's be honest - any of the remaining picks would've have generated about the same negative reaction - just from different mixtures of people.

Truth!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
trade down:

Keim did say that they had options for a trade down, but decided to make the pick.

IMO: that says the options werent good enough.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well at least with the pick though, I won’t have to see Hicks get destroyed by McVay anymore.
Looking at the division matchup...he is better vs the outside run schemes of Seattle, SF and LA (funny that I think they all run the same scheme) and matches up well vs the seam and crossing routes utilized by the 49ers and Rams. Owning the middle of the field can be the key to a great defense. Can be.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think this pick actually helps Simmons, a lot. I think the Cards always envisioned Simmons being allowed to move around, depending on situation (ILB, OLB, SS, etc), but that only works when you have other players at each level that can play their assignments with discipline and athleticism. Jones going down and Hicks being way more limited than the defense needs, really exposed Simmons early on. He wasn't ready to be moved around to various positions. Now with Jones back, Watt added, Collins replacing Hicks, there's way less pressure on Simmons to cover the entire field. He can be moved, as originally intended, based on situation, not need.

Not sure if I'm making sense...lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My day-after point of view on this is that it's ANOTHER indication that Steven Keim is playing checkers when much of the rest of the NFL is playing chess. In a vaccuum where you start when the Cards were on the clock, this is a very fine pick. Good prospect and should be fine.

But WHAT IS THE PLAN? Where is the strategy that creates short- or long-term success for this team? The lack of a real direction besides "doing whatever I can to keep my job for another year" is why we're Klowned by Keim.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
My day-after point of view on this is that it's ANOTHER indication that Steven Keim is playing checkers when much of the rest of the NFL is playing chess. In a vaccuum where you start when the Cards were on the clock, this is a very fine pick. Good prospect and should be fine.

But WHAT IS THE PLAN? Where is the strategy that creates short- or long-term success for this team? The lack of a real direction besides "doing whatever I can to keep my job for another year" is why we're Klowned by Keim.

Checkers is a fast-paced, make quick decisions game, while Chess is designed for the long play...Normally, I'd say in Keim's position, he should be playing chess (the long game), but right now, in his hot-seat, maybe checker's is the better option. He either fixes things quickly, or the game is over and we get a new GM. Either option would be celebrated by this board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As it has always been, so shall it always will be.

I'm responding to posts about "if he shows up to camp overweight." Well, that would be stupid and a huge red flag. It wasn't fun learning Keim had to badger him and make him strip to prove he got rid of weight he shouldn't have gained, either.

Gambo is wrong. Keim denied any notion of doing anything but take Collins. That he didn't even consider trading back.

Truth!
I think keim will always say this even when untrue.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i think the "keep my job" for one more year would have been grabbing (reaching for?) a CB there --

the real failing is the cycle of: draft misses make roster holes --> trade draft picks to fill holes ---> lack draft capital to be flexible, fill roster holes --> repeat

so as Davonta Smith falls into range and into a slot where the team is open to trading down -- but no capital to make the deal. At least he didn't give next years 1 or 2 to do it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well at least with the pick though, I won’t have to see Hicks get destroyed by McVay anymore.
If he helps in that regard and in shutting down SF’s run game. It will be worth it. In addition, our division now has two mobile QBs in Wilson and lance. Having two active move LBs in Simmons and Collins may be a godsend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson