*Be Honest* Better Career: Kyler Murray or Trey Lance

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For me Fields and Lance were the two guys I didnt want on the 49ers. I still thought Mac would be solid for a number of years as a 49ers, but the other guys had the potential to be great. And that has a lot to do with the Shanahan factor. I mean Nick Mullens is in the top 3 of pass yards in first 16 starts I believe. Kyle just knows offense. Just had bad luck with Jimmy's injury history.

I think Kyler/Kliff can do some great things, but I still dont quite feel the organization has gone all in. At least in terms of how Keim has built the roster. Keim's given him an average Oline with no real YAC wrs or pure deep threats.

I think I'd still take Kyler because I do believe he's a great talent. However, Trey's talent + coach + organization really makes it tough.

I'll admit I've been overreacting today, but its a toss up right now for me.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler he’s already proven he’s NFL caliber talent and at a super high level.

Lance hasen’t really played football in almost 2 years besides 1 single game and it was all against inferior talent. He’s got some potential but in reality nobody knows.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Hopkins is a yac receiver. Isabell was supposed to be the deep threat. Hudson is a huge improvement on oline. I’d say they are trying.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopkins is a yac receiver. Isabell was supposed to be the deep threat. Hudson is a huge improvement on oline. I’d say they are trying.
For sure. It just seems like Hopkins is the only YAC guy we got. Isabella just isnt there as a route runner to use his speed yet.

Hudson is solid. Idk when they brought in Kliff I kind of expected them to really upgrade the Oline and speed on the outside. Just not as fast (yet) as I thought we'd be and still depending on guys like Beachum.

Still its solid.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I think I'd still take Kyler because I do believe he's a great talent. However, Trey's talent + coach + organization really makes it tough.
We will see. I heard several evaluators say that the needed to work on his accuracy. To me that is a red flag for a quarterback.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan: It’s going to be very hard for Trey Lance to beat out Jimmy Garoppolo

Despite trading three first-round picks to acquire quarterback Trey Lance, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said after Thursday night’s first round that Jimmy Garoppolo remains the starting quarterback, and it would be tough for Lance to beat him out.

Shanahan referred to Lance as “a very good backup” in an interview on ESPN and said the starting job is Garoppolo’s.

“It’s going to be very hard for a rookie to come in and beat Jimmy Garoppolo out. He’s a very good player,” Shanahan said. “That’s why I like the situation that we are in. Now, we’ll see where Trey’s at. We’ll see how he does at OTAs. I love that we’re getting those. I love that he’s going to be here tomorrow. But Jimmy’s our quarterback right now.”

Obviously, the 49ers didn’t give up three first-round picks for a backup. Lance was drafted to be the starter. But Shanahan continues to insist that Lance will only be the starter when and if he proves he’s better than Garoppolo.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How bout let this kid play a game first

I hope he proves me wrong; I absolutely don't have to "let this kid play a game" to be unhappy with the pick. Should've gone with Newsome or Harris here, or even gone OL. But, hey, glad to see us go "BPA" and draft another ILBer while the top CBs and RBs were all being drafted, so the draft should be well stocked for us at positions of need heading into day 2 and beyond :sarcasm:

I was elated to draft Simmons last year, and still stoked to have him; Keim will be fired in part because of this pick, IMO.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t want Lance on the Niners. He will be a terror for years like Kaepernick was. We blew him out once when Harbough was out the door? I thought Collins was the right idea with them having a mobile qb, George Kittle and Jusczyzk out the backfield but man that 270 right now is a concern.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope he proves me wrong; I absolutely don't have to "let this kid play a game" to be unhappy with the pick. Should've gone with Newsome or Harris here, or even gone OL. But, hey, glad to see us go "BPA" and draft another ILBer while the top CBs and RBs were all being drafted, so the draft should be well stocked for us at positions of need heading into day 2 and beyond :sarcasm:

I was elated to draft Simmons last year, and still stoked to have him; Keim will be fired in part because of this pick, IMO.

the question is Kyler Murray or Trey Lance. I’m sorry, did we draft Trey Lance?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think taking Lance at #3 is beyond foolhardy. Small school, small opponents, past failed QB from said school, infinitesimal sample size, 1 game last season...sure, let's sell the future of the franchise and go after him lol Better them than us.

Yeah I just started a thread I watched some video on him. I get it, big strong arm and fast runner but he has no wiggle he runs straight ahead. That works at a small college, in the NFL when you run into contact you get hit hard, the last thing you want your QB doing. He does it over and over. And I don't know what it is but he doesn't seem to throw a tight spiral at all and I watched 2 tapes and I've yet to see him look anybody off, or throw a touch pass.

I am sure he looks amazing in shorts throwing scripted passes and Shanahan is a guru so he'll figure out how to use him but I bet it takes most of if not a full season before he's anything but a special package short yardage situation guy. If he's starting for them this coming season it means Jimmy got hurt again

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
For me Fields and Lance were the two guys I didnt want on the 49ers. I still thought Mac would be solid for a number of years as a 49ers, but the other guys had the potential to be great. And that has a lot to do with the Shanahan factor. I mean Nick Mullens is in the top 3 of pass yards in first 16 starts I believe. Kyle just knows offense. Just had bad luck with Jimmy's injury history.

I think Kyler/Kliff can do some great things, but I still dont quite feel the organization has gone all in. At least in terms of how Keim has built the roster. Keim's given him an average Oline with no real YAC wrs or pure deep threats.

I'll admit I've been overreacting today, but its a toss up right now for me.

Lance will get Shanny fired...and it's too bad, because Shanny didn't want him, but had to accept the decision.

Lance is gonna be Derek Scud Anderson, with legs.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My hardcore Niners buddy in SF completely lost his poo over this pick. First comment was "he's 20 and will be out of the league by the time he's 23. I'm going to bed." I lol'd and don't hope anybody ever fails, but.. still chuckling.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think taking Lance at #3 is beyond foolhardy. Small school, small opponents, past failed QB from said school, infinitesimal sample size, 1 game last season...sure, let's sell the future of the franchise and go after him lol Better them than us.

Yep!

My honest opinion is that Fields will be a better QB than Lance and Fields won't come close to touching Murray's career.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hardcore Niners buddy in SF completely lost his **** over this pick. First comment was "he's 20 and will be out of the league by the time he's 23. I'm going to bed." I lol'd and don't hope anybody ever fails, but.. still chuckling.

My niner buddy was laughing at our pick of Collins and my retort was "At least I didn't spend 3 first round picks to take the next Carson Wentz"

Convo done.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Kyler, Lance and Fields won't be mentioned in 5 years

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really. Lance may pan out but he is is a total wildcard. The reason people are wild about him is BECAUSE of Kyler Murray.

He is just a few games at ND State beyond high school.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Lance is a huge gamble. He comes from a run-based offense. The run actually took the pressure off the passing game. He is a fine athlete and has a good arm. Can he develop into a top level QB? I wouldn’t have paid the price the Niners did to find out.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say. I lean towards KM but not by much. Two main things enter the equation IMO.

1. Where they landed. Lance will be in a much better situation. Shanahan-vs- Kliff.

2. Supporting cast (see #1). Lynch -vs- Keim.

Lance is in a better position to succeed but KM is so damn good I can’t bet against him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave