2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are going to play him as the Mike apparently, which is occupied by Hicks currently. So we spent a 1st on a guy who won’t see much of the field this year only as a rotation

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
neither of those statements are true

PFF, the Athletic, Jeremiah all had him as a first round prospect

and he had lots of production -- he won pretty much every defensive award in college football this year

7.5 sacks in 32 games....and 3 of those came against OK state this year.....so really 4.5 sacks in 31 games.

Last year...as "The best LB in College Football" he averaged less than 7 total tackles per game....as the Jack of All Trades...Mr. Do Anything......and he averaged less than 7 tackles per game while playing OK State, Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, Southern Methodist, Tulane, Navy, and Cincinnati.

This guy played against tomato cans his entire college career....and didn't really stuff the stat sheet.

Im just not buying him as the 16th pick in the draft. I would have rather taken Fairley or Toney.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
I can't accept the trading up concept with almost no draft capital this year and not willing to mortgage the future.
Don't care. Keim has said we're in win now mode. If we were truly in win now mode, we would have drafted Smith or Surtain. I can't get behind this pick. Collins is a bona fide scrub.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Heard he's going to compete with Hicks at ilb. Feel a little better about the pick now. I like the idea of him and Simmons holding it down in the middle for years to come. I mean honestly Hicks has become a little bit of a liability (he's lost a step or two). Curious what the savings would be if Hicks was released.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
7.5 sacks in 32 games....and 3 of those came against OK state this year.....so really 4.5 sacks in 31 games.

Last year...as "The best LB in College Football" he averaged less than 7 total tackles per game....as the Jack of All Trades...Mr. Do Anything......and he averaged less than 7 tackles per game while playing OK State, Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, Southern Methodist, Tulane, Navy, and Cincinnati.

This guy played against tomato cans his entire college career....and didn't really stuff the stat sheet.

Im just not buying him as the 16th pick in the draft. I would have rather taken Fairley or Toney.
oh god we picked reddick again

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heard he's going to compete with Hicks at ilb. Feel a little better about the pick now. I like the idea of him and Simmons holding it down in the middle for years to come. I mean honestly Hicks has become a little bit of a liability (he's lost a step or two). Curious what the savings would be if Hicks was released.

Might have to release Hicks just to force VJ to play him

TK421

Veteran
Reaction score
So Farley and Newsome were both available and we pick this guy??

You must be registered for see images attach

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are going to play him as the Mike apparently, which is occupied by Hicks currently. So we spent a 1st on a guy who won’t see much of the field this year only as a rotation
I’ve listened to guys on this board bitching about needing to replace Hicks. So now we’ve drafted someone to do just that, and I’m supposed to not like this pick?? Hicks was becoming a liability.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that is true, its grounds to fire Keim and his entire scouting department on the spot.

He is so full of crap, I can barely stand it at this point.

If they legit had Zaven Collins....a small school LB without big time production....who wasn't even a first round prospect until 2 weeks ago....ranked THIRD out of Chase, Smith, Waddle, Sewell, Pitts, Horn, Surtain, Parson, Slater, and AVT.....then they are just plain not good at their jobs.

I would happily eat crow if we are looking back in 4 years and Collins is the 3rd best player out of that group. More likely we are talking about how we aren't picking up his 5th year option.

Lol...I'm just anticipating what he's going to say. He does every year. Sorry to get you riled up.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ve listened to guys on this board bitching about needing to replace Hicks. So now we’ve drafted someone to do just that, and I’m supposed to not like this pick?? Hicks was becoming a liability.

I agree. Don’t like Hicks at all but VJ insists on playing him

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually why I am so furious with this pick. It's the opposite Sunk Cost. As @cheesebeef has pointed out repeatedly we EASILY could have kept Reddick with our cap space.

It's Wasted Cost.

if we were really going all in, we would have retained Reddick at his price point to at least have that speed look we could put out there when Golden gets oh so close to a sack... and then rarely gets it.

I mean, we’re paying Kennard and Hicks how much money to hopefully ride the bench? We couldn’t have put that money toward the ONLY young pass rusher the team had? Just weird.