Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lions:

2003 Charles Rogers Pick #2
2004 Roy Williams Pick #7
2005 Mike Williams Pick #10
2007 Megatron Pick #2

Prior mistakes should not stop you from taking elite talent.
Man, I had recalled the three straight picks but never put together megatron was just two drafts later. Good lord.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
lol and where did that get them? Matt Millen got fired a year later, after going 0-16. I'll pass on replicating that.
Well if they were you they’d not have drafted megatron. So where it got them is a better place than your strategy of allowing sunk costs to dictate future actions.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well if they were you they’d not have drafted megatron. So where it got them is a better place than your strategy of allowing sunk costs to dictate future actions.
They ended up getting nowhere with Megatron... so, doesn't really matter. If they had focused on being a balanced team or getting rid of Matt Millen earlier after going to the same well with failed results, maybe they'd have gotten something out of Stafford.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how well this would work with the Cardinals because of the salary implications but trading down in the draft worked well for the Suns in 2019.

They traded the 6th pick for a player (Saric) and the 11th pick. They then selected another solid rotation player in Cam Johnson at 11.

It takes out the sting if you miss on a pick. I wish the Suns had done the same in the 2020 draft.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Keim is not a draft guru so let’s trade back for more picks to increase his odds of hitting one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They ended up getting nowhere with Megatron... so, doesn't really matter. If they had focused on being a balanced team or getting rid of Matt Millen earlier after going to the same well with failed results, maybe they'd have gotten something out of Stafford.

I know right. We should do what Detroit did! (Checks record through that period)

5-11
6-10
5-11
3-13
7-9
0-16
2-14
6-10
10-6 (lost wildcard round)
4-12
7-9
11-5 (lost wildcard round)
7-9

In that whole period from when the first 1st rounder was drafted to Megatron retiring they had 2 winning seasons in 13 years and lost in the wildcard both times.

Lets do that!

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its not freaking Pokemon. We don't need to collect them all.

There's MORE than enough talent on this offense outside of TE.

Seems there are some that won't be happy until we have four WR1's and a CMC clone at RB.

What are you on about? I won’t be happy until we have a offense that can play each element consistently well. As well as a D that can do the same... but right now you have to go with your young QB... ergo offense first

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What are you on about? I won’t be happy until we have a offense that can play each element consistently well. As well as a D that can do the same... but right now you have to go with your young QB... ergo offense first

What will help a young QB is not having to put up the 6th most ppg and still not have a winning season.

What will help is being able to hold a 4th Q lead and not have to pull out another game winning drive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They needed a wr. Your route would have been, “well we tried a bunch of times, so no more trying. We will just suck at wr.” Verses eventually filling that need. Did they suck? Yeah, but not bc they eventually found the wr they needed.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does it matter anymore if Rodgers lands with 9ers. I mean what is the point?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I know right. We should do what Detroit did! (Checks record through that period)

5-11
6-10
5-11
3-13
7-9
0-16
2-14
6-10
10-6 (lost wildcard round)
4-12
7-9
11-5 (lost wildcard round)
7-9

In that whole period from when the first 1st rounder was drafted to Megatron retiring they had 2 winning seasons in 13 years and lost in the wildcard both times.

Lets do that!
So when we drafted Rosen and it was a flop would should’ve just given up on qb. Got it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They needed a wr. Your route would have been, “well we tried a bunch of times, so no more trying. We will just suck at wr.” Verses eventually filling that need. Did they suck? Yeah, but not bc they eventually found the wr they needed.

Ultimately what did Megatron do for them if he couldn't help the Lions win?

What if the Lions took Joe Thomas or Revis? Or ever Adrian Peterson?

Megatron did absolutely nothing to make them better as a team so do you call that a success?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ultimately what did Megatron do for them if he couldn't help the Lions win?

What if the Lions took Joe Thomas or Revis? Or ever Adrian Peterson?

Megatron did absolutely nothing to make them better as a team so do you call that a success?
Someone help me, I don’t even know how to respond to this statement.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone help me, I don’t even know how to respond to this statement.

Have you seen their record? I means I just put it right there.

You draft players to make you better. The measurement of "better" is wins.

The Lions suuuuucked for practically his whole time in Detroit.

Superb player no doubt. But how did that help Detroit be better?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Have you seen their record? I means I just put it right there.

You draft players to make you better. The measurement of "better" is wins.

The Lions suuuuucked for practically his whole time in Detroit.

Superb player no doubt. But how did that help Detroit be better?
It’s a terrible statement because you have to have more than a single player to succeed. I mean, it’s a REALLY bad take. You could say the same about Fitz I guess turning a blind eye to bad coaches, bad front office, bad talent, for the majority of his seasons.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep the sunk cost fallacy. People threw around this same concept for keeping Rosen.

Wide receivers are so important in today's NFL. You can try to ignore it, but if you are a QB centric team, it will cost you later.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a terrible statement because you have to have more than a single player to succeed. I mean, it’s a REALLY bad take. You could say the same about Fitz I guess turning a blind eye to bad coaches, bad front office, bad talent, for the majority of his seasons.

That's exactly my point.

It takes more than one player to succeed. And drafting the same position over and over again meant Detroit didn't have those players. So ultimately even when they did land on "the guy" it made no difference whatsoever.

The answer is not to keep spending capital on offensive skill players. The answer is to build a balanced team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep the sunk cost fallacy. People threw around this same concept for keeping Rosen.

Wide receivers are so important in today's NFL. You can try to ignore it, but if you are a QB centric team, it will cost you later.

They are so important that when they found one of the best ever they won 8 games the next 3 years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's exactly my point.

It takes more than one player to succeed. And drafting the same position over and over again meant Detroit didn't have those players. So ultimately even when they did land on "the guy" it made no difference whatsoever.

The answer is not to keep spending capital on offensive skill players. The answer is to build a balanced team.
But you can’t build balance if you just move on to another position because you’ve still failed in the last effort.

so which team is better:

the team that kept trying to find the wr and eventually landed megatron; or

the team that passed on megatron bc they already drafted failed wrs and in passing on a talent failed to draft an impact player at another position?

or even say they hit on a cornerback like Revis, that team still isn’t “balanced” bc there’s still dreck at the wr position.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave