Should it be CB Newsome or CB Farley at #16?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
being young and having two back surgeries makes it more likely he DOESNT recover, or alternatively means he’s much more likely to have the injury become recurrent. Knee surgeries and multiple back surgeries are completely different beasts, which is why I don’t think the Sherman injury come back really comes into play.

I mean, I’m not sure how you can “he’s young, he’ll recover” when he already didn’t recover from the first back surgery which is what necessitates a second. Guys... back surgery, whether it’s a microdiscectomy, lamenectomy or full fusion are LAST resorts when rest and rehab won’t cut it. They’re last resorts because they never truly heal. You don’t generate new disc material after its taken out. The structure of the back, the core of the entire body that can effects everything from head to toe, is irrevocably changed. Having done that twice and one as recent as March is just too much risk, IMO. We can’t keep blowing first round picks. This is just asking for it.
Just a point of clarification, it looks like the second surgery wasn’t to remediate a failed first surgery but to fix an alternative issue that was hoped to heal without surgery. Still not great news, but it’s not a second surgery because the first failed.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The more I read about the back issues, I am now moving away from a CB at #16 unless Surtain or Horn are available. Now looking at Collins or Elijiah Moore. Head is in full spin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You don’t truly think they would have drafted Murray if Kingsbury were not at the team, do you? It did not matter if it was the best player on the board or not.
Lol. Something disproves your point and now you try to deflect. Who cares the reason, it happened. You can’t reason it away. You made a definitive statement. It was wrong. It was proven wrong. Is what it is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Prematurely? He played 14 years at a position where the objective for 250+ pound LB / DL is to slam you to the ground. You just said al of them were old which makes my point, when you are younger you're body heals at a faster rate than when you get older. Farley is 21 and has had a year off from football contact, not sure how much he was trying to deadlift but maybe he over did it.

https://www.brainspinesurgery.com/j-j-watt-and-how-herniated-discs-can-reoccur/#:~:text=in the spine.-,J.J.,surgery for a herniated disc.&text=That number has assuredly increased over the past several years.

A big reason for players having re-occurring issues with back is they come back too soon and don't give themselves enough time to fully heal. Some of you may have dealt with a herniated disc so you have some insight but if medical doctors clear him then I don't see any problem. If issue was a problem that was a real concern then Farley should consider a different career but he is not.
Kind of a silly comment considering there aren’t many “different careers” that will guarantee him millions of dollars.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He doesn't have to though does he?

He has the option of saying "This is a big year for me Dad. I need to prove I'm not an injury risk. I need more than 2 years of tape at CB. So I'm going to play and stay at school for 5 months and not come home".

Colleges will let athletes stay in dorms over breaks. Especially last year. So he could have done that. So it feels like an excuse to me. And considering he made the decision after turning up for camp and that he just had back surgery it feels more than possible he may have used the whole thing as cover for a lingering injury concern no?
No that feels more like a conspiracy theory. If he was the only opt out, sure, but he wasn’t alone by a long shot.

and your bolded statement is arguing outta both sides of your mouth. There’s a very good chance he doesn’t have it because he’s been safe and didn’t go back to a superspreader college environment.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No that feels more like a conspiracy theory. If he was the only opt out, sure, but he wasn’t alone by a long shot.

and your bolded statement is arguing outta both sides of your mouth. There’s a very good chance he doesn’t have it because he’s been safe and didn’t go back to a superspreader college environment.

How does looking at the available evidence and reaching a logical conclusion equal a conspiracy theory?

I just googled it and found an interview with him where he says he didn't want to cut off contact with his father for 5 months. Which is fair enough, if he wants to put family over his draft stock. It's not a decision I would have made for the sake of 5 months but that's up to him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another interesting bit about Farley for anyone that's interested is that he's a serious religion guy. Not just a goes to church guy, a true believer.

Won't listen to rap music. Barely attended campus parties. Believe's him Mom is in a better place because the world is evil.

Which is fine, but something worth noting.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Another interesting bit about Farley for anyone that's interested is that he's a serious religion guy. Not just a goes to church guy, a true believer.

Won't listen to rap music. Barely attended campus parties. Believe's him Mom is in a better place because the world is evil.

I don't see the point of this.

Kyrie Irving thinks the world is flat and I'd take him on my basketball team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or take Vera Tucker and set the offensive line

Of all the rumors the one we haven't heard anything about is guard. There was a little bit about Tevin Jenkins a month or so back but that soon passed. Otherwise doesn't seem OL is high on their list of needs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the point of this.

Kyrie Irving thinks the world is flat and I'd take him on my basketball team.

I'm just pointing it out. There are plenty of religious guys around in football. I'm guessing not many won't ride with their team mates because they listen to rap.

It's just something of note.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He just had a year off and then had to have back surgery. How's that coming back too soon?
He didn't re-injure the vertebrae he had surgery on last year, its the one he chose not to have done at that time. Had he had them both done at the same time he probably wouldn't needed it recently.

Kind of a silly comment considering there aren’t many “different careers” that will guarantee him millions of dollars.
Yeah so unless he felt his injury would disable him for life he isn't worried about it, neither are doctors since they are clearing him.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol. Something disproves your point and now you try to deflect. Who cares the reason, it happened. You can’t reason it away. You made a definitive statement. It was wrong. It was proven wrong. Is what it is.

I am not really sure what your point is? I don’t want to be an idiot, but it seems to me that you are arguing that your view is correct because you say so and not really anything else. That your argument is correct for the sole reason that you think so.

But just to clarify, I am not deflecting anything. I am saying it didn’t matter to them if Murray was the highest ranked player or not. They were going to take him regardless. It is a mistake to think that every #1 overall pick must necessarily also be a team’s top ranked player, but I understand why people would think that way.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more I read about the back issues, I am now moving away from a CB at #16 unless Surtain or Horn are available. Now looking at Collins or Elijiah Moore. Head is in full spin.

I agree with that, Garth. I would not at all be stunned if they took Elijah Moore at #16.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Or take Vera Tucker and set the offensive line
AVT would be a player who is talented and versatile enough that we could put almost anywhere which is why I believe he is a top option if we stick and pick. The tough part is that staying at 16 could mean having to choose between a group of guys who I would not be really comfortable with. Parsons, Collins, NHarris, Farley, Newsome, TJenkins, EMoore, DSmith Etienne, Paye and Phillips all have areas of concern and risk more than the top tier. BEcasue that group is so big, moving back, and gaining an additional pick is a more comfortable way to make that risk acceptable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How does looking at the available evidence and reaching a logical conclusion equal a conspiracy theory?

I just googled it and found an interview with him where he says he didn't want to cut off contact with his father for 5 months. Which is fair enough, if he wants to put family over his draft stock. It's not a decision I would have made for the sake of 5 months but that's up to him.
Your decision to place family second is your judgment call. Your failure to understand his placing family first is being somehow translated to “he’s hiding something.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

After seeing how good kyrie Irving is despite having beliefs I don’t share, I could care less about his religious affiliation unless he’s killing babies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am not really sure what your point is? I don’t want to be an idiot, but it seems to me that you are arguing that your view is correct because you say so and not really anything else. That your argument is correct for the sole reason that you think so.

But just to clarify, I am not deflecting anything. I am saying it didn’t matter to them if Murray was the highest ranked player or not. They were going to take him regardless. It is a mistake to think that every #1 overall pick must necessarily also be a team’s top ranked player, but I understand why people would think that way.
You’re argument is no one drafts BPA. Cheese showed you were wrong. I haven’t even voiced my argument on the matter (but I agree that some draft for need, some BPA, most likely a hybrid). That’s it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You’re talking about a KID who already lost his MOTHER two years earlier. If you don’t think that would make a kid cling closer to his father, especially at a time when a pandemic is killing thousands of people a day, I can only question your priorities re: your relationship with your own parents, not his.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You’re argument is no one drafts BPA. Cheese showed you were wrong. I haven’t even voiced my argument on the matter (but I agree that some draft for need, some BPA, most likely a hybrid). That’s it.

I think Cheese was primarily telling me his opinion and not so much that he knew it for a fact. But I agree with you that it is kind of like a hybrid. Like best player available at a position of need. I think we mean the same.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
BEcasue that group is so big, moving back, and gaining an additional pick is a more comfortable way to make that risk acceptable.
I've been hearing that is harder to move back due to the Covid factor.

Many teams would like to trade out and receive compensation in next years draft because many college teams didn't play a full season or any season at all making it harder to get a good evaluation of players.

In addition because teams aren't able to get there hands on the players, workouts, medical evals, face to face interviews, that many would feel more comfortable with picks in next years draft which would hopefully be more like a normal year with normal evaluations.

All these things contribute to making it harder to trade back since a lot of teams are leery of giving up compensation from next years draft class. All in all it just makes it harder to do deals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave