Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading Cardinal in the Kremlin (no spoilers please). Crazy how the "freedom fighters" in Afganistan are working with the CIA against the Russians/Soviets.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading Cardinal in the Kremlin (no spoilers please). Crazy how the "freedom fighters" in Afganistan are working with the CIA against the Russians/Soviets.

Not crazy, just history.

Steve

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Release Date: January 17, 2014 (2D theaters and IMAX)
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Screenwriter: David Koepp
Genre: Action, Adventure, Suspense
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of violence and intense action, and brief strong language)

Starring: Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kevin Costner, Peter Andersson, Kenneth Branagh, David Paymer, Colm Feore

Plot Summary: Based on the Jack Ryan character created by bestselling author Tom Clancy, the film is a contemporary action thriller set in the present day. The original story, written by David Koepp, follows a young Jack as he uncovers a financial terrorist plot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At first I didn't like the idea--Harrison Ford IS Jack Ryan--but then I realized that Baldwin did a solid job too (I will conveniently forget Affleck here). I'm cool with the reboot and think Pine is a good choice. I just wish they would have used one of the actual books instead of making up a plot.

Yeah, seeing the previews, I'm not actually cool with the reboot. Just like with Conan movies, there's too much rich and ready source material to just make a plot up out of thin air. Plus, forcing him to become an actual operative, and doing it right at the outset of his career, is a mistake to me.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harrison Ford was great in this role but to be honest I would have LOVED to see Alec Baldwin continue in the role. I am looking forward to seeing Jack Ryan back on the big screen. A completely reboot is the only way to go at this point.

Stout

Reaction score
Harrison Ford was great in this role but to be honest I would have LOVED to see Alec Baldwin continue in the role. I am looking forward to seeing Jack Ryan back on the big screen. A completely reboot is the only way to go at this point.

Yes, with one of the many, many available story lines.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ya this was poop.

I mean the production values were good and the acting was good, there just wasn't much there. Nothing like the Jack Ryan we were expecting.

The setup made him out to be something that Jack Ryan is not, as did multiple scenes where Jack Ryan goes from an invalid to a ninja, MMA fighter, motorcycle expert by the end of the movie.

Jack Ryan has always been the reluctant almost nerd who's intellect usually leads him to uncovering something big and he kindof gets through it using his instinct and wit. He's not this badass agent badguy punching, let me steal your bike and chase a guy through town and beat him up kinda guy... As apparently they want him to be.

It was all just very off putting and while I wouldn't call it a TERRIBLE movie, I just didn't care and was glad when it was over and will forget I ever saw it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Went by quick enough and Keira Knightly got enough screen time to keep me smiling! Acting was good. We were all pleased.

I don't get to critical about what Jack Ryan is "supposed" to be. Its pure entertainment and it delivered IMO.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, this is the problem with making movies out of highly established books and series', with two sides to the topic. Some people want it to reflect the books with some level of accuracy, and at least get the spirit right; others want an entertaining movie and don't care about the books, either because they aren't familiar with them or they just don't care. Both are perfectly valid, although I generally gripe about people that have read them and don't care :D

We all know which side I fall on lol I have no interest in seeing a Jack Ryan who is just Jason Bourne with a different background. Ryan is such a great character, as mentioned above, the academic forced not only into action, but into service for his country. What fun is just another action star?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Jack Ryan character, especially in Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games, has always been somewhat of a thinker, not a fighter. Shame they've decided to change the character.

Looks like a bland action film, and it sounds like from your reviews, I wouldn't be disappointed.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jack Ryan character, especially in Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games, has always been somewhat of a thinker, not a fighter. Shame they've decided to change the character.

Looks like a bland action film, and it sounds like from your reviews, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Some of that is from being in a bad military crash and having a botched back surgery to repair the damage. He had to relearn to walk and has chronic back pain.

I didn't see anything like that in the trailers for this movie. :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of that is from being in a bad military crash and having a botched back surgery to repair the damage. He had to relearn to walk and has chronic back pain.

I didn't see anything like that in the trailers for this movie. :D

I like how they explained his back pain in this movie. ENJOYABLE.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entertaining movie but had absolutely nothing to do with the Jack Ryan in Clancys books

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Went by quick enough and Keira Knightly got enough screen time to keep me smiling! Acting was good. We were all pleased.

I don't get to critical about what Jack Ryan is "supposed" to be. Its pure entertainment and it delivered IMO.

Just watched this last night, and.......

Ditto to Shane's comment.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently watched it.

Ya this was poop.

I mean the production values were good and the acting was good, there just wasn't much there. Nothing like the Jack Ryan we were expecting.

The setup made him out to be something that Jack Ryan is not, as did multiple scenes where Jack Ryan goes from an invalid to a ninja, MMA fighter, motorcycle expert by the end of the movie.

Jack Ryan has always been the reluctant almost nerd who's intellect usually leads him to uncovering something big and he kindof gets through it using his instinct and wit. He's not this badass agent badguy punching, let me steal your bike and chase a guy through town and beat him up kinda guy... As apparently they want him to be.

It was all just very off putting and while I wouldn't call it a TERRIBLE movie, I just didn't care and was glad when it was over and will forget I ever saw it.

Haha, I'm not an expert on Jack Ryan, but I get the gist of what you guys are saying. I thought the move was fun, but also very forgettable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave