Suns @ Celtics Thursday game thread 4-22-2021

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Failure to add another big and not drafting Haliburton.
Yup. But the Haliburton failure I see as more long term. For this season the failure to a big is what’s crushing us. Even a Dwight Howard would make a big difference.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. But the Haliburton failure I see as more long term. For this season the failure to a big is what’s crushing us. Even a Dwight Howard would make a big difference.

The Suns could and should have done both.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

no freaking way do I want that guy around Ayton

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
no freaking way do I want that guy around Ayton
He isn’t an influence at this juncture. Not in the same locker room with Paul at least. Anyone, I was saying even someone like Howard. Doesn’t have to be Howard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i mean we can’t fix everything in one offseason.

Both were doable and foreseeable needs.

I won't get into the draft with Haliburton but the need for another big man has been obvious all season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I won't get into the draft with Haliburton but the need for another big man has been obvious all season.

Seriously. It was apparent last season with how thin the frontcourt was with Ayton, Baynes, and Frank never being available at the same time. When the decision was made to let Frank and Baynes walk in free agency there should have been replacements lined up.

Thankfully Frank was let go by the Kings so the Suns could scoop him back up but he was 3rd string last year and should have been viewed similarly this year.

Damien Jones was trash from the get go and was never going to be more than a 3rd stringer and moved to 4th when Kaminsky returned. When he was waived it should have been to bring in a competent big.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

More so with Dario's play. He's looked really bad lately

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously. It was apparent last season with how thin the frontcourt was with Ayton, Baynes, and Frank never being available at the same time. When the decision was made to let Frank and Baynes walk in free agency there should have been replacements lined up.

Thankfully Frank was let go by the Kings so the Suns could scoop him back up but he was 3rd string last year and should have been viewed similarly this year.

Damien Jones was trash from the get go and was never going to be more than a 3rd stringer and moved to 4th when Kaminsky returned. When he was waived it should have been to bring in a competent big.

And the situation would be even worse without Craig who has been forced to play the 4/5. The Suns didn't need a rock star at backup FC, only a player that could give them some serviceable minutes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More so with Dario's play. He's looked really bad lately

Dario hasn't played well for awhile and the Suns don't have the option to rest him.

With Crowder and Saric having sprained ankles, Nader out, the Suns really are really hurting upfront.

I'm not sure why Kaminsky can't get minutes but I suspect he is frustrated and maybe it shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dario hasn't played well for awhile and the Suns don't have the option to rest him.

With Crowder and Saric having sprained ankles, Nader out, the Suns really are really hurting upfront.

I'm not sure why Kaminsky can't get minutes but I suspect he is frustrated and maybe it shows.

agree on being confused why Tank can’t get any minutes, especially with Crowder out and Dario looking more like Sorrio right now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree on being confused why Tank can’t get any minutes, especially with Crowder out and Dario looking more like Sorrio right now.

Frank isn't great but he hasn't been a liability this season. Last time he was a fixture in the rotation the team played really well also. Im not sure why Monty isn't using him. I'm a fan of Monty's but his rotations have been questionable at times.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The closing schedule for the Suns is brutal and they could use a fresh body like Kaminsky with Dario not playing well.

Now Crowder could miss some games as well. And the silence on Nader is deafening.

Something doesn't add up unless Monty is locked into a rotation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes it has but we needed a lot of upgrades and with a healthy Saric playing like he did in the bubble along with a rookie power forward, an extra big was less of a concern than starting point guard, backup shooting guard and a combo forward or two that could play big when necessary.

After filling those holes we were reduced to searching through the bargain bin for a backup 5/4, hence the signing of Damian. Obviously, that signing failed, Jalen (thanks to his rawness, injuries and covid) proved un-usuable and Saric has looked more like the pre-bubble Dario. But no matter what, going from where we were to where we are is remarkable. Was there a better free-ish player available (and interested in us) than Damian Jones? I doubt it, given that two other teams have tried him since we let him go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it has but we needed a lot of upgrades and with a healthy Saric playing like he did in the bubble along with a rookie power forward, an extra big was less of a concern than starting point guard, backup shooting guard and a combo forward or two that could play big when necessary.

After filling those holes we were reduced to searching through the bargain bin for a backup 5/4, hence the signing of Damian. Obviously, that signing failed, Jalen (thanks to his rawness, injuries and covid) proved un-usuable and Saric has looked more like the pre-bubble Dario. But no matter what, going from where we were to where we are is remarkable. Was there a better free-ish player available (and interested in us) than Damian Jones? I doubt it, given that two other teams have tried him since we let him go.

I don't think the Suns needed both Moore and Galloway. There was a choice to be made there. It's easier to add guards and wings than big men during the season if a need arises. The Suns might have been able to waive or buyout one of the above to add a minimum type big.

IIRC, James Jones made a comment like the Suns team was made during the summer. I commend him for adding Craig but rosters need to be tweaked when a need becomes obvious especially for a playoff team. The trade deadline passed and buyouts passed without a move that could have strengthened the team. The Suns didn't even fill their second two-way roster spot for a player with size.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was busy at work glad i missed that crap show of a gm....

What's up with dario.... he slid off

Hope perform beter next gm...

Also booker better get act together before real gms begin.... soon

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh great at nets next really not looking forward to.that 1 lol

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
I can understand playing Dario to help him get out of a funk. But he’s looked like crap for what seems like two months now.

Time to play Frank for some minutes. Pretty sure he can’t do worse.

Ayton didn’t even want the ball last night. He made no attempt from what I remember to post up on the low block. He certainly wasn’t playing aggressively..

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Expected ups and downs with DA and Dario.

If Booker Booker continues to sputter we'll be in real trouble. I wonder if his play has anything to do with Paul taking the alpha dog spot. Booker went from being top dog to being a clear second fiddle. I get the feeling he is pressing everything, trying too hard. Everything you hear is how Paul is the man and took the suns too the next level. Its got to weigh on Booker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose