MCU: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played the trailer a few times. The Martial Arts is well choreographed from what I have seen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I’m in. Is this a movie or a series?

anyone ever read The Book of 5 Rings by Musashi? Just curious

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Shang-Chi' Star Simu Liu Fires Back At Disney CEO For Calling Film An 'Experiment'

Disney’s rollout for its slate of pandemic-impacted blockbusters has been more chaotic than the third act of most Marvel movies and it’s only getting messier with “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”

On the heels of Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit over the hybrid release of “Black Widow,” Simu Liu, the star of the studio’s first Asian-led superhero outing, is blasting Disney CEO Bob Chapek for calling the film’s distribution an “interesting experiment.”

During the company’s quarterly earnings call this week, Chapek remarked on how “Shang-Chi” will break with its other offerings as of late, which all received simultaneous video-on-demand releases through its Disney+ streaming service, and will exclusively hit theaters for a 45-day window.

Citing the growing concerns around the COVID-19 delta variant, Chapek said the film was intended to debut in a “much more healthy theatrical environment,” but it was too late for the studio to alter its release strategy amid the recent surge in cases due to existing distribution agreements.

“On ‘Shang-Chi,’ we think it’s actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it’s got only a 45-day window for us,” he said. “So the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to the service after going theatrical with 45 days, would be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles.”

Chapek said the studio believes “Shang-Chi” will serve as a test of sorts for future Disney properties, as the pandemic continues to upend traditional release windows and distribution strategies, according to The Wrap.

On Saturday, Liu offered a direct rebuke to Chapek’s comments, seemingly bristling at the suggestion that the history-making film isn’t worthy of the same consideration as the studio’s past titles.

“We are not an experiment,” Liu wrote in a post on both Instagram and Twitter alongside behind-the-scenes photos of the cast and crew. “We are the underdog; the underestimated. We are the ceiling-breakers. We are the celebration of culture and joy that will persevere after an embattled year. We are the surprise. I’m fired the f**k up to make history on September 3rd; JOIN US.”

:notworthy:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did I miss something? I thought the “experiment” comment was based on the 45 theatrical release verses the Disney simul-release and not based on an Asian lead. Maybe I missed something.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I miss something? I thought the “experiment” comment was based on the 45 theatrical release verses the Disney simul-release and not based on an Asian lead. Maybe I missed something.
I think that was what was being referenced as well, but I did like the attitude in the response. LOL

Never really thought about the impact on actors depending on how a film is rolled out - especially big-name actors that sometimes take less pay upfront in hopes of a bigger payday with a percentage of theatrical ticket sales.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I took it as confidence that even with an Asian lead, they will make a lot of money theatrically. That's no experiment, that's how it has worked in the past. I understand it might be a risk based on Streaming numbers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took it the way he did. Without context it seemed to me he was saying that it will be an interesting experiment in American cinema to push an Asian lead in a Marvel blockbuster to see how the film goes. There is some truth to that from a pure business perspective. If that's what he meant he probably should have worded it differently or not said it at all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I took it the way he did. Without context it seemed to me he was saying that it will be an interesting experiment in American cinema to push an Asian lead in a Marvel blockbuster to see how the film goes. There is some truth to that from a pure business perspective. If that's what he meant he probably should have worded it differently or not said it at all.
Really? Where in the following is the concept of an Asian lead even intimated?

“On ‘Shang-Chi,’ we think it’s actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it’s got only a 45-day window for us,” he said. “So the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to the service after going theatrical with 45 days, would be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles.”

Chapek said the studio believes “Shang-Chi” will serve as a test of sorts for future Disney properties, as the pandemic continues to upend traditional release windows and distribution strategies, according to The Wrap

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chapek said the studio believes “Shang-Chi” will serve as a test of sorts for future Disney properties, as the pandemic continues to upend traditional release windows and distribution strategies, according to The Wrap
Does it have to be? It's an Asian lead in an American tentpole film. That never happens. I don't think it has to be intimated. I don't think anything malicious was meant by it personally. However, the Asian community has been mistreated and whitewashed for ages in American cinema. I can see why he took it that way because this movie was specifically called out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Does it have to be? It's an Asian lead in an American tentpole film. That never happens. I don't think it has to be intimated. I don't think anything malicious was meant by it personally. However, the Asian community has been mistreated and whitewashed for ages in American cinema. I can see why he took it that way because this movie was specifically called out.
When someone says “I think this is an experiment because of X” I believe it’s BS to outrage because you misinterpret it as saying “I think this is an experiment because of tomato.”

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

This is what it sounded like to me too. He was talking about the release windows and experimenting with them. The studios have to be trying to figure how to best maximize profits after the way the box office has gone this summer.

Saying this is about an Asian lead sounds to me like someone in PR is trying to set that as a narrative in case the film underperforms. It wouldn't be that it's a bad movie but due to racism against Asians. It's just the sense I get from how the criticism against some other movies have been handled.

This might be projecting a little because I don't think it looks that good and my gut says it's going to be along the lines of Black Widow for quality. So in my head I'm picturing PR people sitting around a table saying "We know it's a bad movie, how can we make it/marvel look better? Let's pull out the Ghostbusters 2016 playbook."

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When someone says “I think this is an experiment because of X” I believe it’s BS to outrage because you misinterpret it as saying “I think this is an experiment because of tomato.”
According to reports the discussion was Shang-Chi". So it appears the strategy for that movies was the topic. I will repeat, I don't think there was anything malicious about the comment. The topic wasn't generically Disney releases in general which is likely what he was referring to. Disney has not done this before. This is a new "experiment" they are using this movie to test. Because of the topic being discussed and it referencing a tactic for THIS MOVIE is why I think it was interpreted incorrectly but I understand why it was.

"On 'Shang-Chi,' we think it's actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it's got only a 45-day window for us," Chapek said. "So the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to the service after going theatrical for 45 days will be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles."

I think Disney would have used whatever NEXT movie came out for this experiment. All I am saying is no matter who badly misinterpreted I can see how he got there. Not that I agree with him at all.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initial reactions are in:

Shang-Chi is fantastic… Marvel has another hit on its hands.
Kirsten Acuna, Insider
Shang-Chi is awesome… Bravo!
Brandon Davis, ComicBook.com
Shang-Chi is an absolute triumph… Astounding.
Drew Taylor, Collider
Shang-Chi is one of the best MCU films ever!!!!
John Nguyen, Nerd Reactor
Shang-Chi is like no Marvel movie you’ve seen.
Steve Weintraub, Collider
I liked Shang-Chi more than Black Widow. I said it.
Kirsten Acuna, Insider
This movie hits all that Marvel does well (pacing, humor, character) and adds action like we’ve never seen from the MCU before!
In many ways it feels like the least MCU movie of the MCU, and I think a lot of people will really love that. It’s a great standalone adventure/origin story.
Peter Sciretta, Slashfilm
It is exactly the shot in the arm that Marvel and Disney needed.
Scott Mendelson, Forbes
This is the MCU back doing its thing on a high level again.
Aaron Neuwirth, We Live Entertainment
Director Destin Daniel Cretton brought something so fresh to the MCU. So much style and heart.
Love that it opens the door to a new world that I can’t wait to see more of.
Steve Weintraub, Collider
I’m excited to see how Shang-Chi fits into the future of this cinematic universe.
Peter Sciretta, Slashfilm
Phase 4 is magical and mystical and I’m here for it. If Shang-Chi is the direction the next phase of the MCU is heading, bring on Eternals and Doctor Strange 2.
Kirsten Acuna, Insider
Never expected it to be THIS good… Can’t believe how much I loved this movie.
John Campea, The John Campea Show
Didn’t expect to love it as much as I did!
Dorian Parks, Geeks of Color
We are all pleasantly surprised.
Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment
Even I really liked it… I was so damn relieved.
Scott Mendelson, Forbes

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loo

Feel like people are copying and pasting “initial reactions” at this point. So many of them are so over the top... seemingly always.

that said, the initial reactions from some of the reviewers who’s taste is usually similar to mine got my a little more interested to see this.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I don't trust most of the reviews from the access media at all. This list is full of shills who's opinions are usually wrong. Comicbook.com, collider, Scott Mendelson, John Campea, etc. always come across as studio mouth pieces. They all said similar stuff about Black Widow, Rise of Skywalker, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman '84, etc. They might end up being right but I'm going to wait for some reviews from people that I trust a lot more.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Loo

Feel like people are copying and pasting “initial reactions” at this point. So many of them are so over the top... seemingly always.

that said, the initial reactions from some of the reviewers who’s taste is usually similar to mine got my a little more interested to see this.

marvel films do kind of get this reaction the good ones are usually really good. When they get it right they get it right.

I don’t know anything about it but I’m in

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I don't trust most of the reviews from the access media at all. This list is full of shills who's opinions are usually wrong. Comicbook.com, collider, Scott Mendelson, John Campea, etc. always come across as studio mouth pieces. They all said similar stuff about Black Widow, Rise of Skywalker, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman '84, etc. They might end up being right but I'm going to wait for some reviews from people that I trust a lot more.

LOLWUT?

Scot Mendelson hasn't given a good review to an MCU movie since Infinity War.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Also: