Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bridges has way too many games in which he completely disappears. like, 0-3 point games. He’s a solid role player for this team, but the way fans adore him makes him vastly overrated. If I’m JJ, I don’t make much of an effort to re-sign him
That's pretty disconnected. Yeah, he's had some issues recently, but "don't make much of an effort to re-sign him"? That is totally out of touch. You should make sure not to conflate signing Ayton meaning not signing Bridges, because that's what it seems like.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges has way too many games in which he completely disappears. like, 0-3 point games. He’s a solid role player for this team, but the way fans adore him makes him vastly overrated. If I’m JJ, I don’t make much of an effort to re-sign him

If I'm JJ I do whatever I can to keep him. He impacts the game even when he fails to score and the rest of the league now has to gameplan for him every night. We may overrate him but if so, so do other teams. I watch the opponent broadcasts most of the time and they rave about him frequently. He defers a little too much on offense but he's not hurting us really, it's not like he's going through a lot of 0 for 9 nights. As long as he doesn't stifle our offense (by refusing to take open shots) I can live with those nights where he only takes a few attempts.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's pretty disconnected. Yeah, he's had some issues recently, but "don't make much of an effort to re-sign him"? That is totally out of touch. You should make sure not to conflate signing Ayton meaning not signing Bridges, because that's what it seems like.
Where did I mention Ayton? I’m talking about Mikal. I like him. He’s a nice asset. but people talk about him like he’s irreplaceable. Simply put, I’m not getting into a bidding war with other teams for his services. That could change next season if he makes a massive jump, but his recent play shows that people need to take a step back before handing him a blank check

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you wanna throw $15-$20mil/year at him?

Who says that's what it will take? Dario was just resigned for about $9 million a year. I don't see Mikal being that cheap but somewhere between $10-15 annually seems reasonable.He'll be restricted after next season, we'll be able to match anything he's offered and I hope they do so long as its reasonable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 would be a bargain, 20 is about what I expect he will get.

wow. Man do I think you guys wayyyyy overrate our own. A guy who plays good defense but continually disappears down the stretch of close games and is only an okay offensive player just isn’t worth 20 million per year. That’s money for a third star not a great role player. That’s how you choke your own cap and minimize the ability to create a well rounded club.

TJ

Reaction score
Who says that's what it will take? Dario was just resigned for about $9 million a year. I don't see Mikal being that cheap but somewhere between $10-15 annually seems reasonable.He'll be restricted after next season, we'll be able to match anything he's offered and I hope they do so long as its reasonable.

Id keep Mikal for $12-13 easily. I’ve seen fans say he should be paid $20+mil/season. To that I say, “best of luck to you.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

anywhere in the 10-15 million dollar range makes sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id keep Mikal for $12-13 easily. I’ve seen fans say he should be paid $20+mil/season. To that I say, “best of luck to you.”
Yeah. That money is designated for a third star. Someone who can score, create on his own and others consistently and defend. Bridges does one of those things consistently.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Where did I mention Ayton? I’m talking about Mikal. I like him. He’s a nice asset. but people talk about him like he’s irreplaceable. Simply put, I’m not getting into a bidding war with other teams for his services. That could change next season if he makes a massive jump, but his recent play shows that people need to take a step back before handing him a blank check
You will always have your Ayton bias in whatever you post. This is about the 2nd player due for an extension at the same time as Ayton, so you gotta expect people are going to realize your Ayton bias will be involved in such a discussion. Not slamming you, you like Ayton, which is perfectly fine, just saying that it is going to be something that will be associated with you on your posts.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
wow. Man do I think you guys wayyyyy overrate our own. A guy who plays good defense but continually disappears down the stretch of close games and is only an okay offensive player just isn’t worth 20 million per year. That’s money for a third star not a great role player. That’s how you choke your own cap and minimize the ability to create a well rounded club.
First of all, I agree 10-15 would be great for Mikal, but I disagree about your take on him getting 20m. In today's NBA, especially if we get back to normal, Mikal could EASILY get a contract worth 20m per. Whether he's worth that contract, that's another story, but it isn't a stretch at all to say he could get that offer.

I don't think 20m is "third star" money anymore.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, if we end up having to make a choice between Cam and Mikal, I might lean towards Cam at this point. He’s an underrated defender and I think he’s got much more potential to break out on offense than Bridges.

Cam Johnson? Bridges for me and it's not close. Johnson is six months older and, when he's not making shots, he brings very little to the floor. Bridges has ways of impacting the game even when he's missing. Bridges has the edge in almost all secondary statistical categories (per-minute rebounding is a wash), and he plays with more energy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And I think you're painting with a pretty wide brush. I like this team but I especially love the fact that we finally have a defense that opponents fear. IMO Bridges is a big part of why we close out games so well. He usually guards the other team's best 1,2 or 3 and makes them work their butts off which pays dividends for us in the 4th quarter.

Mikal is averaging 4 more minutes per game this year than last and that's in a season with an overpacked schedule so if his all-out effort also wears him down a little, I can live with it given the results. I don't disagree that he's going to be no more than a great role player but there are very few "3rd stars" that would help this team more IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bridges will get $15 million + a season. Anything near 4/60 will be a bargain. Oubre is getting nearly $15 million a season.

TJ

Reaction score
You will always have your Ayton bias in whatever you post. This is about the 2nd player due for an extension at the same time as Ayton, so you gotta expect people are going to realize your Ayton bias will be involved in such a discussion. Not slamming you, you like Ayton, which is perfectly fine, just saying that it is going to be something that will be associated with you on your posts.
OMG stop. If you’re going to associate all of my Suns posts with Ayton, feel free to put me on “ignore,” because it’s flat garbage. I’m not going down that wormhole with you.

“TJ, you like the Suns retro jerseys? You must think they look good on Ayton, huh?”

This has nothing to do with Ayton. My assessment of Mikal and his monetary value is independent from any other player on the team, including Book, CP3, Dario, etc.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think you're painting with a pretty wide brush. I like this team but I especially love the fact that we finally have a defense that opponents fear. IMO Bridges is a big part of why we close out games so well. He usually guards the other team's best 1,2 or 3 and makes them work their butts off which pays dividends for us in the 4th quarter.

Mikal is averaging 4 more minutes per game this year than last and that's in a season with an overpacked schedule so if his all-out effort also wears him down a little, I can live with it given the results. I don't disagree that he's going to be no more than a great role player but there are very few "3rd stars" that would help this team more IMO.

There were many people talking about needing to give Oubre 20 million bucks or even THE MAX two years ago. Gnashing their teeth over losing him and Rubio for CP3. Saying Booker is a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant. Continually saying Marion back in the day should be in the running for Defensive Player Of The Year when he never even sniffed ONE All Defensive 1st or 2nd team his entire career.

and all of the above usually comes from the same people over the years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bridges will get $15 million + a season. Anything near 4/60 will be a bargain. Oubre is getting nearly $15 million a season.

And reportedly wanted more. Both of them seem to be great teammates but Mikal is worth a lot more on the court than Kelly is IMO. I have no idea what Bridges will get but I'd be disappointed if we didn't outbid whoever we had to in order to keep him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OMG stop. If you’re going to associate all of my Suns posts with Ayton, feel free to put me on “ignore,” because it’s flat garbage. I’m not going down that wormhole with you.

“TJ, you like the Suns retro jerseys? You must think they look good on Ayton, huh?”

This has nothing to do with Ayton. My assessment of Mikal and his monetary value is independent from any other player on the team, including Book, CP3, Dario, etc.
Womp womp. Thin skinned?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And reportedly wanted more. Both of them seem to be great teammates but Mikal is worth a lot more on the court than Kelly is IMO. I have no idea what Bridges will get but I'd be disappointed if we didn't outbid whoever we had to in order to keep him.

to what extent?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There were many people talking about needing to give Oubre 20 million bucks or even THE MAX two years ago.

$20 million per year ain't what it used to be. 51 players are at $20M+ this season, and another 13 are right behind at $18-20M. Player salaries continue to escalate quickly, and by the time Bridges gets extended, $20 million per year will look like even less. If he continues to shoot 40% from three, expands his slashing game, and gets into the conversation for All-NBA defensive teams, $20M per seems reasonable, and it's a safe bet that someone will offer him more.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Bridges will get something near what Kelly wanted, probably $20 million a season. Keeping Bridges for something near 4/70 sounds close.

I do think Bridges will get more than Kelly after his injury and stint with the Warriors.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were many people talking about needing to give Oubre 20 million bucks or even THE MAX two years ago. Gnashing their teeth over losing him and Rubio for CP3. Saying Booker is a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant. Continually saying Marion back in the day should be in the running for Defensive Player Of The Year when he never even sniffed ONE All Defensive 1st or 2nd team his entire career.

and all of the above usually comes from the same people over the years.

If you'd said that we tend to overrate our own without any context I'd have let it pass or agreed with it. It's not uncommon for fans to overrate their own players, just like it's not uncommon for fans to be overly harsh in their critiques of some players. But you used it as evidence that we were overrating Mikal because we disagreed with TJ's claim that JJ should make little effort to keep him.

TJ

Reaction score
Womp womp. Thin skinned?
Don’t interpret me not caring about your out-of-pocket statements as being thin-skinned. Simply saying to you that if you want to depreciate the quality of the conversation, don’t expect me to follow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave