Simmons on the Suns

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
If Oliver Miller had been svelte, he likely would not have lasted to our pick at the bottom of the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Oliver Miller had been svelte, he likely would not have lasted to our pick at the bottom of the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may have lasted but I'm not sure he would have been a Center. He was only like 6'9", IIRC, and in those days that was very undersized for a C. He had a really long wingspan and long arms which combined with his bulk helped him play inside despite giving up 2-3 inches in height to most other C's.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Oliver Miller would have been fine at center in the mold of a player like Wes Unseld. It's sad he could not control his weight because I think he had a bright future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Oliver Miller would have been fine at center in the mold of a player like Wes Unseld. It's sad he could not control his weight because I think he had a bright future.
Agreed. West was only 6’10. And Ollie didn’t have to become skinny to continue to be effective, just not so far outta shape as he was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. West was only 6’10. And Ollie didn’t have to become skinny to continue to be effective, just not so far outta shape as he was.

That wide body would have served Ollie well as long as he was in reasonable shape. Sort of like Jokic a bit before he slimmed down.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m glad they didn’t dwell too much on Doncic.

It’s a total counterfactual, but at the time I had worries that Doncic would be a super-fun player on a Suns team that routinely got stopped in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, while Ayton would anchor someone else’s championship team with good defense and game management. I only mention it again because the Suns are now a lot closer to the latter than I would have thought before the bubble.

If I had a time machine I wouldn’t pass on Doncic. Love watching him play and he would have been an all-time Suns favorite in no time. He looks like a perennial MVP candidate and may win multiple titles. But I’m also excited to be worrying about big man depth, which is a new feeling. Watching Ayton in the Heat game was...relaxing? Those put-backs: that’s what other teams do.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has surpassed my expectations as a defender.

Could Doncic and Book play together? Doncic would have to be more of a pg I think. With Doncic instead of Ayton we would still be like the old Suns, dynamic offense and little defense.

Yes in retrospect I would take Doncic, but I like DA too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has surpassed my expectations as a defender.

Could Doncic and Book play together? Doncic would have to be more of a pg I think. With Doncic instead of Ayton we would still be like the old Suns, dynamic offense and little defense.

Yes in retrospect I would take Doncic, but I like DA too.

If we keep getting this out of Ayton and it's consistent? It's hard to say Ayton was the wrong pick. Sure, EVERYONE would like to have Doncic in retrospect but Doncic is not a good defender IMO. I have seen him disappear defensively for entire games this season. There is no question this team would be worse defensively.

I have watched 3 Mavs games this past month and he couldn't keep anybody in front of him. There was a game where he had multiple steals but that was because he anticipated passing lanes. If you looked the box score it looked like he played good defense. However, that same game guys were driving around him at will. His best defense is his offense. He will try and run you out of the gym.

Plus, the dude should be on the Spurs. I have not seen someone cry like a baby so much to the Refs since the trio of Duncan, Parker, and Ginóbili. He cries to the refs CONSTANTLY. It's not like he isn't getting to the line. He cried so much I couldn't enjoy his offensive brilliance a couple of those games. I just wanted to tell him STHU and play dude.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we keep getting this out of Ayton and it's consistent? It's hard to say Ayton was the wrong pick. Sure, EVERYONE would like to have Doncic in retrospect but Doncic is not a good defender. There is no question this team would be worse defensively.

I have watched 3 Mavs games this past month and he can't keep anybody in front of him. Plus, the dude should be on the Spurs. I have not seen someone cry like a baby so much to the Refs since the trio of Duncan, Parker, and Ginóbili. He cries to the refs CONSTANTLY. It's not like he isn't getting to the line.
You're right about all these things. And while he is no Lebron James on the defensive side of the ball, he will definitely be Lebron James after Lebron James retires from the game. Doncic will be the face of the NBA, he already IS the international face of the NBA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right about all these things. And while he is no Lebron James on the defensive side of the ball, he will definitely be Lebron James after Lebron James retires from the game. Doncic will be the face of the NBA, he already IS the international face of the NBA.

Yeah...his talent isn't in question and he has market value. I question though if he will be as marketable as LeBron or MJ but he will definitely be hyped by the NBA. Especially, putting up those gaudy offensive numbers. It's interesting though, a buddy of mine that lives in Dallas and is convinced Doncic will leave the Mavs for another team when his contract is up. He doesn't think he will get the exposure he wants in Dallas. If he ever hits the free agent market? It will be a feeding frenzy.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if i recall, Doncic was predicted to be a top MVP candidate going into this season, but he's not in the top 10 of a list i just saw (due to Mav's record and his defense, i assume)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Booker MVP talk is silly if we’re being totally honest. I don’t even think CP3 finishes top-5 and he’s better than Booker at everything except scoring.

Having them 9th or 10th isn't silly but yes, the idea that either of them is a legit MVP candidate this season is silly.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
neither one makes sense

but if Suns fans and media could pull off a campaign for voters to
Nominate Paul and Booker as co-MVP's

everyone would be happy with that result, including the NBA

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
neither one makes sense

but if Suns fans and media could pull off a campaign for voters to
Nominate Paul and Booker as co-MVP's
everyone would be happy with that result, including the NBA

They’ve both been fantastic this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose