FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

Reaction score
Hey folks, just wanted to say I hope JC can get back on track with you guys. He is a very decent back whose career has been stop / start with injuries, but even when healthy the Steelers OLine has done him no favours. Their run blocking has been an embarrassment in recent years, it’s a big need going in to the draft.

JC is a good pass protector and an underrated receiver out of the backfield. He could be very good in the right system. I can understand AZ fans being underwhelmed with the signing but it wouldn’t surprise me if he has a nice season behind Edmonds. Also a high character guy and great worker, which is important in its own right too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said, Carson is good. I didn't want to pay him big money and have doubts about how long he'll last. In the here and the now, he's the best in the division, but I anticipate Akers will overtake that this season.

As far as Penny vs. Conner goes, I mentioned that above. I'd happily bump Conner over Penny. I'd been debating it. I probably got too excited with the high YPC and fact I'm friends with his agent.

But Edmonds has more experience in the system and simply is quicker than Conner. Watching Conner a lot the past two seasons thanks to fantasy, he hasn't passed the eye test to me. He looks slooooooow out there. I'm assuming that's due to injury.

The only good FA signings are guys under 28, who are elite, have no injury history and are cheap. Got it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The only good FA signings are guys under 28, who are elite, have no injury history and are cheap. Got it.
Obviously some free agents come with risk. Getting guys at a bargain is fine. Getting guys at a bargain but leaving the position weak and ignoring potential upgrades is not. It's not Conner the RB2 I have a problem with, it's the lack of a good RB1.

We're going to cycle through two barely effective guys all year and that's the strategy. Fine, I'll suck it up. Hopefully Conner discovers his inner self from 2018 and isn't the barely warm body from 2019.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Conner is a fine signing btw. I’m not bitching about this. But truth is many of you sound like we signed the guy that burst on the scene a few years ago, not the post-multiple injury guy we just signed off the slag heap that seemingly no one else wanted.
I just think he is a solid veteran pickup for cheap. It’s a win win.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We haven’t had a big, heavy short-yardage back since Dwyer who never played a down for us. Glad KEIM got one here.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Darksiders would complain about the new nacho topping selections if it was brought up here...
Wait, they are changing the nacho toppings?! I am
OUTRAGED!!!!

As long as they keep the cotton candy so I can keep the kids shut up while daddy screams at football players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Seattle likes to get teams in light defenses and then run Chris Carson -- a back who punishes people and is tough to bring down

i hope the Cards can run some 11 personnel sets and run Conner against light boxes and force DBs to make business decisions

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose