FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
99% of the arguing in this thread isn't about Conner. There's a whole bunch of "Conner is a decent player/good signing but the RB room sucks"

Which actually means you don't like Edmonds, without anyone actually saying that once that I can see. Specifically seems to be the idea of Edmonds as RB1.

Lets say it the other way round,

Conner / Edmonds
Carson / Penny
Mostert / Wilson
Akers / Henderson

I'm really not seeing any vast talent difference in those back fields. And that's just our division.
Bingo. I think Edmonds has a lot against him, and I don't trust him to be anywhere near a starter. Injury history, size, lack of production when given the starting role... he's an alright backup I'd forget if we cut him tomorrow until someone brought up the time he crushed the Giants.

LOL at Wilson and Penny above Conner.
Jeff Wilson had a 4.8 YPC last year (.5 better than Conner), and 1 more TD than Conner, and only 121 less yards in 8 less starts and one less game. Not sure how that's LOL worthy. He was the better player.

Rashaad Penny had a 5.3 YPC before he tore his ACL. Admittedly, this is more potential than anything, and I almost flipped them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool story. Who else would you have signed? Philip Lindsey? Meh. There aren't many options, and really not many that are better than Conner this offseason. I would LOVE to draft a back, but again, Keim's mismanagement in other areas makes it so that using a 1 or a 2 on a back isn't a great idea.

Would you have paid DRAKE!?!?! $8 million per? I think that one of Keim's strengths (he does have a few!) is finding cheaper vets to be productive.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Murray was Offensive Rookie of the year and a Pro Bowler in year two. He was responsible for 37 TDs.

Naw man. The point is that RB isn't that important nowadays. Conner is fine. Not a great player, but the Pittsburgh Steelers rolled with him for years. A combination of Edmonds, Conner, some Murray runs, and maybe Eno/Ward can be good enough, especially if the IOL starts to actually NOT suck. I mean...the Cardinals did bring in one of the best centers in the NFL, so we can at least marginally expect the offensive line to improve some.

Then why the consternation? I mean, I'm not jumping for joy about this move either, but it's not a bad move. Conner can play in the NFL and there is SOME upside to it. The Steelers run blocking was significantly worse than the Cardinals last season. And I'd still rather NOT use a 2nd rounder on a RB. That's just not smart when more premium positions (CB or edge) should be available at 49.

Lol... what consternation? I’ve barely said a word in this thread, nor have I said this is a bad move.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bingo. I think Edmonds has a lot against him, and I don't trust him to be anywhere near a starter. Injury history, size, lack of production when given the starting role... he's an alright backup I'd forget if we cut him tomorrow until someone brought up the time he crushed the Giants.

Jeff Wilson had a 4.8 YPC last year (.5 better than Conner), and 1 more TD than Conner, and only 121 less yards in 8 less starts and one less game. Not sure how that's LOL worthy. He was the better player.

Rashaad Penny had a 5.3 YPC before he tore his ACL. Admittedly, this is more potential than anything, and I almost flipped them.

Both in very limited snaps and in 1 season. Pass.

Edmonds isn't RB1. Camp will decide that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Penny should be near the bottom...dude can't stay healthy and really hasn't done much at all in his career.
Yeah I chuckled too.

That's how you know that he is manufacturing stuff to complain about.
See my post above. I'm fine with putting Penny below Conner, but it still doesn't change that Wilson should be ahead of him.

@Solar7 not sure those units are so much better

BTW I know how much u want a rb in the first round

The only first round pick here is Penny...
I only wanted an RB in the first round because I don't think Harris, Etienne, or Williams will make it to 49. I'm not even sure that there won't be 4 RBs taken before we pick in the 2nd.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

If you EVER believed the talk that Edmonds was the starter...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
99% of the arguing in this thread isn't about Conner. There's a whole bunch of "Conner is a decent player/good signing but the RB room sucks"

Which actually means you don't like Edmonds, without anyone actually saying that once that I can see. Specifically seems to be the idea of Edmonds as RB1.

Lets say it the other way round,

Conner / Edmonds
Carson / Penny
Mostert / Wilson
Akers / Henderson

I'm really not seeing any vast talent difference in those back fields. And that's just our division.
I’d rank those players:

carson
Akers
Mostert
Conner
Edmonds
Penny/Henderson
Wilson

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Both in very limited snaps and in 1 season. Pass.

Edmonds isn't RB1. Camp will decide that.
If you EVER believed the talk that Edmonds was the starter...
Conner being the starter over Edmonds doesn't make me feel any better.

Conner is a slight downgrade to Drake IMO, but not something I'll complain about all season since it's hopefully not a big money deal. If we're paying $8 million to Conner after clearing cap space, I'll whine until he proves different.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not HAPPY about the RB room by any stretch, but to act like it's an impending disaster is laughable.

The only RB room that's really any good in the NFC West is the Rams. The Niners system pretty much helps any RB look good; it's the same system that made Olandis Gary a star for a year.
Name from the past!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things. Signing Connors to a small contract isn’t a bad thing.

I believe a good rb stable has to have 3 competent rb’s. We now have two. Neither are bell cows nor do they need to be. We still need a young pair of legs like Harris or Williams. Either one of these two would solidify and give instant credibility to the rb stable.

With the 17 game season it’s even more important to have three solid backs that can contribute with 12-15 carries if needed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things. Signing Connors to a small contract isn’t a bad thing.

I believe a good rb stable has to have 3 competent rb’s. We now have two. Neither are bell cows nor do they need to be. We still need a young pair of legs like Harris or Williams. Either one of these two would solidify and give instant credibility to the rb stable.

With the 17 game season it’s even more important to have three solid backs that can contribute with 12-15 carries if needed.
good point. didnt think about the 17 game schedule.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't get what you were asking.

Carson
Akers
Mostert
Henderson
Edmonds
Wilson
Penny
Conner
Hasty
Homer
Collins
Dallas
--------- Nearly pointless to rank after this
Ward
Jones
Calais
Benjamin
Muhammad

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/posts/4440373/

You literally rank him as the top running back in the division yet you would hate us signing him too if we could have… You make no sense whatsoever....

What has Penny done to warrant being ranked above Conner? Edmonds as well whom you’ve trashed all off season?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/posts/4440373/

You literally rank him as the top running back in the division yet you would hate us signing him too if we could have… You make no sense whatsoever....

What has Penny done to warrant being ranked above Conner? Edmonds as well whom you’ve trashed all off season?
Like I said, Carson is good. I didn't want to pay him big money and have doubts about how long he'll last. In the here and the now, he's the best in the division, but I anticipate Akers will overtake that this season.

As far as Penny vs. Conner goes, I mentioned that above. I'd happily bump Conner over Penny. I'd been debating it. I probably got too excited with the high YPC and fact I'm friends with his agent.

But Edmonds has more experience in the system and simply is quicker than Conner. Watching Conner a lot the past two seasons thanks to fantasy, he hasn't passed the eye test to me. He looks slooooooow out there. I'm assuming that's due to injury.