What if Suns took Tyrese Haliburton?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What it would have given is an actual playmaker and a larger defender in the backcourt for the second unit. My guess, given the leads squandered this year, and the losses under several of those scenarios, is that he would have made a world of difference now and in the future compared to Smith. But both are still rookies, so we'll get to see where it goes from here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought if the Suns had drafted Haliburton. They would would have been set at four positions and could have moved any remaining chips to fix the power forward position. Their roster would have been set for years.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought the table was set perfectly for us to take Haliburton. I was beyond shocked that we didn't. Gave Jones the benefit of the doubt at the time because of Cam Johnson. Looking to me like his biggest gaffe as gm so far tho. Still, can't be too mad. He's done a hell of a job. Cant believe where we are now compared to when he took over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the table was set perfectly for us to take Haliburton. I was beyond shocked that we didn't. Gave Jones the benefit of the doubt at the time because of Cam Johnson. Looking to me like his biggest gaffe as gm so far tho. Still, can't be too mad. He's done a hell of a job. Cant believe where we are now compared to when he took over.

When the Suns didn't draft Haliburton, I thought they might trade down sort of like when they drafted Cam Johnson and pick up another asset.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt that they’re just unable to admit they were wrong as opposed to not knowing what hindsight means.

either way, the argument is still wrong evidenced by people calling for Halliburton at the time. Hell, unless I’m mistaken, I think some people here arguing hindsight were actually hopeful for it to be Halliburton at the time. Could be wrong there though.
Haliburton was the overwhelming choice on this board. After the pick was made we (that includes me) starting looking for reasons why the Suns did not seem to make the obvious choice, figuring that there was probably was something going on behind the scenes that we did not know about.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Haliburton was the overwhelming choice on this board. After the pick was made we (that includes me) starting looking for reasons why the Suns did not seem to make the obvious choice, figuring that there was probably was something going on behind the scenes that we did not know about.
Same for me. Had Hali top 3 in my personal big board and thought he was the pick when he made it to us. However there were serious questions at the time as to whether or not he could legitimately fit into 1 specific role as a SG or PG and then reports came out about him telling teams not to draft him.

At that point I would assume that JJ (much like my personal opinion) decided he didn't want to deal with a player that was telling teams not to draft him. IMO if that is indeed true than it brings up character questions and I would be all for passing on someone that you think could have a negative impact on team chemistry.

I do question how much PT he would have ever seen this year with this current team. Monty seems to very much trust Payne and we have veteran guards that he would also likely be stuck behind. I think there is a real possibility that we could be talking about how drafting Hali was mistake right now if he wasn't seeing the floor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same for me. Had Hali top 3 in my personal big board and thought he was the pick when he made it to us. However there were serious questions at the time as to whether or not he could legitimately fit into 1 specific role as a SG or PG and then reports came out about him telling teams not to draft him.

At that point I would assume that JJ (much like my personal opinion) decided he didn't want to deal with a player that was telling teams not to draft him. IMO if that is indeed true than it brings up character questions and I would be all for passing on someone that you think could have a negative impact on team chemistry.

I do question how much PT he would have ever seen this year with this current team. Monty seems to very much trust Payne and we have veteran guards that he would also likely be stuck behind. I think there is a real possibility that we could be talking about how drafting Hali was mistake right now if he wasn't seeing the floor.

I think Tyrese Haliburton would be the Suns primary backup point guard if he Suns drafted him and I don't think it's even close. See links below.

And if you think about this about Haliburton (the part in bold), I can only guess what you think about Jalen Smith who hasn't shown much at all.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...m=0&player_id1=payneca01&player_id2=halibty01

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3064230/cameron-payne

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4396993/tyrese-haliburton

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Tyrese Haliburton would be the Suns primary backup point guard if he Suns drafted him and I don't think it's even close. See links below.

And if you think about this about Haliburton (the part in bold), I can only guess what you think about Jalen Smith who hasn't shown much at all.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...m=0&player_id1=payneca01&player_id2=halibty01

The point is he may not have gotten that very chance to prove himself on this team. The Kings are a pretty poor team without a whole lot of guard depth so Haliburton was able to get a lot of playing time right away. On this team with Paul starting and playing 32 or so minutes and with Monty being confident in Payne and his vet guards Haliburton may have seen next to no playing time.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One team that regrets not drafting Haliburton are the Knicks. Toppin has been a bust.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I’m trying to figure out why you especially don’t like Cam Payne.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Cam Payne but talent is talent.
And you don’t think it’s possible that after the bubble the Suns thought that the difference between Payne and Halliburton was negligible? James Jones LOVES Cam Payne and at the time he was a signature signing.

And I don’t think we had Frank so our big rotation was Ayton and Dario with our SFs bringing up the rear. Jalen Smith has been disappointing but the Suns picking a high skill player at a position of huge need is easy to understand.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you don’t think it’s possible that after the bubble the Suns thought that the difference between Payne and Halliburton was negligible? James Jones LOVES Cam Payne and at the time he was a signature signing.

And I don’t think we had Frank so our big rotation was Ayton and Dario with our SFs bringing up the rear. Jalen Smith has been disappointing but the Suns picking a high skill player at a position of huge need is easy to understand.

If James Jones liked Cam Payne so much he should have signed him earlier out of the G-League.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The troubling part about Jalen Smith is he wasn’t a one and done teenager. He’s 21 and can’t sniff the floor for a team dying for a player with his skill set. I’m guessing they loved him because you’d think they could’ve traded back for him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The troubling part about Jalen Smith is he wasn’t a one and done teenager. He’s 21 and can’t sniff the floor for a team dying for a player with his skill set. I’m guessing they loved him because you’d think they could’ve traded back for him.
I actually liked Smith after Halliburton. At the time I wanted Smith if they weren’t going to get Halliburton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So? It was 8 pro games and he had previous pro experience. This is prime whataboutism right now.

You are minimizing Payne and what the front office thought of him.

Tell me again why the Suns did not call up Payne earlier from the G-League in 2020.

He was not an unknown commodity and the Suns really needed a backup point guard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tell me again why the Suns did not call up Payne earlier from the G-League in 2020.

He was not an unknown commodity and the Suns really needed a backup point guard.
Yes and the way called him and he was working out well and James Jones really liked him. Just because they didn’t pick him up before the bubble doesn’t mean they thought he was expendable. They spent the bubble with him and a few months before the draft with him. They probably had a good idea of what he was. And they obviously liked what they saw.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up that they didn’t pick him up earlier. That has nothing to do with anything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and the way called him and he was working out well and James Jones really liked him. Just because they didn’t pick him up before the bubble doesn’t mean they thought he was expendable. They spent the bubble with him and a few months before the draft with him. They probably had a good idea of what he was. And they obviously liked what they saw.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up that they didn’t pick him up earlier. That has nothing to do with anything.

The reason I make this point is because he was available for any other NBA team to grab while he was in the G-League.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The reason I make this point is because he was available for any other NBA team to grab.
Ok... and...?

If other teams knew he was going to be this good he would have been picked up by someone else. We do a pretty damn good job of recognizing talent. Everything James Jones has done except this last draft proves that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok... and...?

If other teams knew he was going to be this good he would have been picked up by someone else.
We do a pretty damn good job of recognizing talent. Everything James Jones has done except this last draft proves that.

If James Jones thought Payne was going to be that good he should have picked him up earlier.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson