FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Worse is debatable. More injury prone is not.

Watt makes up for losing Reddick and then some. Butler makes up for losing Peterson and then some.

Hudson is a MASSIVE UPGRADE. AJ Green will be at least as good as geriatric Fitz. Conner is a wash for Drake.

I'd say overall, the roster is better.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Just bc other teams use multiple backs doesn’t mean it’s equivalent. The talent level of the bucs, ravens, and niners stables of backs is much greater than ours. You’re making false equivalencies.

You lose any points made when you mention the 49er's collection of castoffs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You just made the argument that you think we are better off with less talented rbs. This might be the silliest argument I’ve ever read on ASFN. You can still platoon off you have Aaron jones and Kenyan drake and just have more talent on the field.

I don't think Conner is less talented than Drake.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This changes nothing. Conner is a decent and serviceable back and worth signing for a low wage. He's proven vs a 7th round comp pick we would lose or waste anyway. We will still be in the RB market regardless. He can pass block and he can run. He's a good signing and helps the roster. We have carried guys like the srub from UofA and etc for years and no one blinked but we will groan for 13 pages about James Conner. Come on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watt makes up for losing Reddick and then some. Butler makes up for losing Peterson and then some.

Hudson is a MASSIVE UPGRADE. AJ Green will be at least as good as geriatric Fitz. Conner is a wash for Drake.

I'd say overall, the roster is better.
I thought we were just comparing drake and Conner.

but yeah if a LOT of ifs come through with old/oft-injured guys we should be improved. But counting on a lot of ifs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You just made the argument that you think we are better off with less talented rbs. This might be the silliest argument I’ve ever read on ASFN. You can still platoon off you have Aaron jones and Kenyan drake and just have more talent on the field.

Not in reality. Nobody is paying a RB $8 - $10m a year and only giving them 12 carries a game.

The RB position is overrated. There's ample supply of decent NFL quality RB's that can get the job done in this league. A multi back room that keeps guys fresh and works to their talents can achieve as much as a single top paid RB for less money.

Like all positions there is a steep salary curve for the top talent guys. You can get much better value out of a bunch of "good, not great" backs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Like, no. Praying one of the backs on the roster gets better? And with only Conner and Edmonds? That's a well below-average RB room, even with the de-emphasis you're putting on the position.

Young players get better. Is that such a controversial take?

Conner is better than anything the Chiefs had when they won the Super Bowl and is better than some of the Patriots starters over the years. You guys crack me up. Always finding SOMETHING to whine and cry about, even when the Cardinals make a good signing. Conner will be a cheap, decent contributor.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
im not ruling out running back in the draft still, and, it opens the board to all types.

prior to Connor, I thought they needed to go big

now, smaller guys who are really good catching out of the backfield are in play:

Etienne at #49 or maybe trade down in Rd 1

Michael Carter of NC, or Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis (although 49 is too high for those two, likely gone by 160)

Javian Hawkins of Lou probably there at 160

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You lose any points made when you mention the 49er's collection of castoffs.
I don’t think there’s a marquee guy there, but on a player by player basis they likely edge each of our guys. Like I think mostert is likely more talented than Conner at this stage of conners career, and Coleman more talented than Edmonds, and anyone more than eno/ward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I thought we were just comparing drake and Conner.

but yeah if a LOT of ifs come through with old/oft-injured guys we should be improved. But counting on a lot of ifs.

I think the Darksiders are missing the REAL argument....Keim isn't building a team that has a chance to be good for a long time. If I were in Keim's shoes, I would've gone for a bunch of young, hungry guys.

I think this roster can win 10 games next year, if not 11. I just think that after next year, the roster will need more tinkering, and with Keim's track record, you can't rely on the draft to fix it. Once Murray's big contract is signed, this team will REALLY SUCK.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. Just bc other teams use multiple backs doesn’t mean it’s equivalent. The talent level of the bucs, ravens, and niners stables of backs is much greater than ours. You’re making false equivalencies.

How exactly are those rooms better? Ravens sure, but only by virtue of having a recent 2nd round pick.

How is the Niners collection of UDFA's and journeyman backups better than what we are putting together? Not a single guy on that roster last year ever had more than 800 yards. And that guy had 55 yards last year.

Conner is statistically superior to Fournette in every way. We still have a space at RB3 to fill the Bernard role. I'll give you RoJo right now is considered better than Edmonds, but only after last year and only because Edmonds hasn't had his shot yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This changes nothing. Conner is a decent and serviceable back and worth signing for a low wage. He's proven vs a 7th round comp pick we would lose or waste anyway. We will still be in the RB market regardless. He can pass block and he can run. He's a good signing and helps the roster. We have carried guys like the srub from UofA and etc for years and no one blinked but we will groan for 13 pages about James Conner. Come on.

My thoughts exactly.

I think the Cardinals can get Kenyan Drake level production from Conner for a fraction of the price. The same can be said for Malcolm Butler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a dude with lots of injuries is likely not nearly once was.

but that’s besides the point. He was arguing he’d rather have a stable of less talented backs than Aaron jones. That’s just a dumb statement imo.

I've literally tweeted in the last 2 hours how a stable of castoffs and UDFA's had more yards than the 2 RB's we went into last season with that nobody seemed to have an issue with.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think a dude with lots of injuries is likely not nearly once was.

but that’s besides the point. He was arguing he’d rather have a stable of less talented backs than Aaron jones. That’s just a dumb statement imo.

We have watched this team for decades now. This RB isn't that bad, we've seen WAY worse.

They can win with this group.

Sign me up for CB round 1 and Javonte Williams round 2.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Young players get better. Is that such a controversial take?

Conner is better than anything the Chiefs had when they won the Super Bowl and is better than some of the Patriots starters over the years. You guys crack me up. Always finding SOMETHING to whine and cry about, even when the Cardinals make a good signing. Conner will be a cheap, decent contributor.
Conner is a fine signing btw. I’m not bitching about this. But truth is many of you sound like we signed the guy that burst on the scene a few years ago, not the post-multiple injury guy we just signed off the slag heap that seemingly no one else wanted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Darksiders are missing the REAL argument....Keim isn't building a team that has a chance to be good for a long time. If I were in Keim's shoes, I would've gone for a bunch of young, hungry guys.

I think this roster can win 10 games next year, if not 11. I just think that after next year, the roster will need more tinkering, and with Keim's track record, you can't rely on the draft to fix it. Once Murray's big contract is signed, this team will REALLY SUCK.
Lol. You’re not wrong. Here’s how I see it:

2021: keim making big time roll of dice on old and oft-injured guys. He hits on all this team could win the division. Hits on some it’s likely around .500 season, maybe squeak into wildcard. Misses on a lot we slide back to 5 wins.

2022: keim has to rebuild roster bc of expiring contracts, one year deals, poor drafting and is staring looming big QB contract in face - likely utter failure

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Waa slightly hoping for gurley but I'll take conor is he a good blocker power back? Haven't watched him much

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm good with it if we sign him, I mean who else r u gonna get? This team is being patched together again by Keim so it's not likely he's here next year anyway, it's the Keim way

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How exactly are those rooms better? Ravens sure, but only by virtue of having a recent 2nd round pick.

How is the Niners collection of UDFA's and journeyman backups better than what we are putting together? Not a single guy on that roster last year ever had more than 800 yards. And that guy had 55 yards last year.

Conner is statistically superior to Fournette in every way. We still have a space at RB3 to fill the Bernard role. I'll give you RoJo right now is considered better than Edmonds, but only after last year and only because Edmonds hasn't had his shot yet.
I’m sorry this is a total homer post. If you took all of the players in all those teams rb rooms and put them on the market I wouldn’t be surprised if our stable were the last to be signed. Edmonds would attract some interest, but not over the top (and maybe eve not over the second best) break for each team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Conner is a fine signing btw. I’m not bitching about this. But truth is many of you sound like we signed the guy that burst on the scene a few years ago, not the post-multiple injury guy we just signed off the slag heap that seemingly no one else wanted.

Naw B.

We signed a depth guy who isn't an embarrassing starter. He's a mid-level guy on what should be a decent contract.