FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
have to believe for the minimum with incentives for more

6'0, 233 lbs. This gives them an element they havent had for a couple years

btw: can we all just agree that at this point in FA, highly productive players in the prime of their careers that never miss games and have no off field issues dont exist -- regardless of cost

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I always figure if I know the name AND position of a non cardinal player he must, at some point, been fairly good OR killed the cards when playing against them. Only keep up with 1 roster and a bit on our division.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Johnny Venerable

The James Conner addition is a classic low risk, high reward move that doesn't stop Arizona from targeting a back in the early rounds. Bottom line with Conner is that when he plays, he produces in the tune of over 4 yards per carry. He is also a capable receiver.
Conner should also benefit from a reworked Cardinal interior oline. At 6'1, 230 pounds, he immediately becomes the team's short yardage option. Instead of Kenyan Drake and Mason Cole on 4th-and-short, it'll now be James Conner and Rodney Hudson.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anybody averaging 4.3 yards per attempt with the amount of carries he’s got obviously has some talent… I don’t get the hand wringing especially if he’s cheap… I understand from the standpoint that we might not draft a dynamic running back if we sign him... But you’ll never convince me we were going to do that anyway… He is not the garbage everyone here makes him out to be including stout LOL… We need depth at running back and he fits the bill 100%
That is the ASFN way

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree mostly.

The league is wising up to paying and using bell cow RB's. They get injured too often and they burn out too quickly.

2-3 back groups are the way forward and there is more than enough supply to do that. You can get as much if not more out of an average group of 3 RB's than you can out of 1 bell cow (on average) while spreading the injury risk and keeping guys fresher.

And when you have one guy you are uber reliant on and they go out for the season your screwed. The way the Panthers were with McCaffrey. The way we were with DJ, and the way the Titans would be with Henry.

I'd rather go into the season with Edmonds, Connor and say Todd Gurley or Duke Johnson (I still think we should sign another vet) than an Aaron Jones or Kenyan Drake taking most of the hand offs.
You just made the argument that you think we are better off with less talented rbs. This might be the silliest argument I’ve ever read on ASFN. You can still platoon off you have Aaron jones and Kenyan drake and just have more talent on the field.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnny Venerable

The James Conner addition is a classic low risk, high reward move that doesn't stop Arizona from targeting a back in the early rounds. Bottom line with Conner is that when he plays, he produces in the tune of over 4 yards per carry. He is also a capable receiver.
Conner should also benefit from a reworked Cardinal interior oline. At 6'1, 230 pounds, he immediately becomes the team's short yardage option. Instead of Kenyan Drake and Mason Cole on 4th-and-short, it'll now be James Conner and Rodney Hudson.

100%

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jesus. Keim signs a guy who is...wait.what...actively nursing an injury......pathetic...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I've already said. The way forward is to have three RB2's.

I'd much, much rather have Edmonds, Conner and say, Jerrick McKinnon. Than an Aaron Jones taking 75-80% of handoffs. It's how the Ravens do it, it's how the Niners do it. The Bucs are doing the same. You can see what the Texans have planned with the signing they made and now having DJ, Ingram and Lindsey.

What do you think Conner is getting paid? He's what? The 23rd running back to sign in FA? Tevin COleman got $1.1m. Matt Breida $1m. Damian Williams $1.125. Maybe he's get Malcolm Brown money and stretch it to a whole $1.75m.

But thats the kind of range it's going to be in if not vet min.
Lol. Just bc other teams use multiple backs doesn’t mean it’s equivalent. The talent level of the bucs, ravens, and niners stables of backs is much greater than ours. You’re making false equivalencies.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This changes nothing. Conner is a decent and serviceable back and worth signing for a low wage. He's proven vs a 7th round comp pick we would lose or waste anyway. We will still be in the RB market regardless. He can pass block and he can run. He's a good signing and helps the roster. We have carried guys like the srub from UofA and etc for years and no one blinked but we will groan for 13 pages about James Conner. Come on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Cardinals were pretty damn close to a winning season last year. I'm hopefully cautious they might break through this year if some of the IFs work out. Just need a cornerback or two, a RB, and another TE and I'll judge this offseason as a success.

Is Conner worse than Drake? I don't think he is.
Worse is debatable. More injury prone is not.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave