FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather use a 1st or a 2nd and get an actually adequate player at a position that touches the ball more than anything but QB and Center rather than sitting in the bottom 5 in RB rooms.

Correction.

The chance of a possible adequate player.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Are you inferring the Steelers had a stellar OL? Lol

PFF ranked the Steelers run-blocking unit 31s this last season (2020).

Until the last year or two..... Absolutely. The Steelers O-Line was a strength the first two years of Conner's career.

He is 4.3 for his career because he was 4.5 in his first two seasons. With his 2nd season being his biggest (and healthiest) year.

What's fun to look at is Drake vs. Conner at the combine.

Drake's 40: 4.45
Conner's: 4.65

Drake's 10yd: 1.64
Conner's 10yd: 1.63

Drake's 20yd: 2.64
Conner's 20yd: 2.69

That is what breakaway speed looks like. Conner's going to get caught at 10 to 15 yards a lot more than any of us like. Especially with his extreme lack of elusiveness. And if he's running horizontally..... Which is KK's read option (5yds behind the line) he's going to be caught at the LOS a lot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Until the last year or two..... Absolutely. The Steelers O-Line was a strength the first two years of Conner's career.

He is 4.3 for his career because he was 4.5 in his first two seasons. With his 2nd season being his biggest (and healthiest) year.

What's fun to look at is Drake vs. Conner at the combine.

Drake's 40: 4.45
Conner's: 4.65

Drake's 10yd: 1.64
Conner's 10yd: 1.63

Drake's 20yd: 2.64
Conner's 20yd: 2.69

That is what breakaway speed looks like. Conner's going to get caught at 10 to 15 yards a lot more than any of us like. Especially with his extreme lack of elusiveness. And if he's running horizontally..... Which is KK's read option (5yds behind the line) he's going to be caught at the LOS a lot.

This is why you have horses for courses (do you have this saying over there is is this British?)

You give Conner the plays that suit his skill set.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many times did we need a yard for a TD or first down and didn’t get it. If his role is for that at a vet minimum so we don’t waste a draft pick I would be ok with it

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why you have horses for courses (do you have this saying over there is is this British?)

You give Conner the plays that suit his skill set.

Which are what exactly. He's slow with very little wiggle, and he's not great at breaking contact either. His vision is ok, but he excels at nothing as far as I can tell.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don’t get all the negativity. He runs aggressive, has a good stiff arm, good vision, Not a blazer but I don’t see slow. He’s 6’1” 233lbs. A change up with Edmunds style. Solid Pro. I hope we get him.

give us flexibility in the draft

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Conner looked very good... two years ago. To my eye test, he just didn't pass. He reminds me of Chester Taylor's days in the NFL, one really good year followed by a whole bunch of mediocrity. And I see the same player when I saw him run last year and in 2019.

Edmonds' career as a starter is sub 4.0, and that's what we're presumably counting on him for. We'll see. Maybe he's a star and holds up, I just don't have the same confidence others do that our offensive line is as good some seem to thing, since the right side is a huge question mark.

I would rather use a 1st or a 2nd and get an actually adequate player at a position that touches the ball more than anything but QB and Center rather than sitting in the bottom 5 in RB rooms.
Hudson is a dramatic improvement over Cole and will help our RG and Pugh...Sweezy was horrible. I could see Beachum or Jones at RG and if Gilbert is healthy, he is solid at RT.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t get all the negativity. He runs aggressive, has a good stiff arm, good vision, Not a blazer but I don’t see slow. He’s 6’1” 233lbs. A change up with Edmunds style. Solid Pro. I hope we get him.

give us flexibility in the draft

I hope we get him if the plan is he will only play in the event of injury.

He's not good enough to get snaps otherwise. However I highly doubt that is the plan - that's why I'm not happy.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which are what exactly. He's slow with very little wiggle, and he's not great at breaking contact either. His vision is ok, but he excels at nothing as far as I can tell.

Vision is a key part, he doesn't hesitate, he is quick hitting the hole, even if he is not a breaking tackle machine he can get some tough yards, plus he is a good blocker and reliable catcher
Surely wouldn't be a sexy signing but can be a nice compliment to Edmonds
Then I'm curious to see if Jonathan Ward can be more involved next season

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're "I understand from the standpoint" statement is a big part of it; I feel the FO might think by signing him the RB position is "fixed" when it is decidedly underwhelming and below average even with his addition. I mean, I want this big roster hole filled so we don't HAVE to draft that dynamic back, but I don't just want us to toss a warm body in there. Were he not injury prone, I'd be able to overlook his (per Stiller outlets) reports of disappearing in big games, his big fumbles in big moments, etc. Problem is, he's HUGELY injury prone. Adding him to a RB room with Chase and nothing else does nothing to alleviate the RB need. We need a starter AND we need depth. As I said previously, if he's just a depth guy at league minimum or close to it, okay, fine. Counting on him to be a starter or platoon starter is :barf:-worthy.

Bingo. Great way to couch it, Proximo.
Did the team feel like the WILB position was fixed last year when they signed Campbell? Nope. They used the #8 pick on the same position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did the team feel like the WILB position was fixed last year when they signed Campbell? Nope. They used the #8 pick on the same position.
That's a totally different situation. The Cardinals wouldn't have highly drafted any other player that exclusively played ILB.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a totally different situation. The Cardinals wouldn't have highly drafted any other player that exclusively played ILB.

The best rookie defender last year was a safety converted linebacker, Jeremy Chinn

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This does nothing to the Najee Harris train I’m on.

Agree, if he is there in the second round and the Cards really value him, they should take him. However, IMO the Cards should not use their first round pick on a RB. I feel that is a reach with so many other players available that are rated much higher than a RB. Just my two cents. :cool:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That doesn't have anything with who we would have taken last year.
Got yours sarcasm, Keim would have never drafted High an ILB to play ILB

So what was your favourite player since u didn't like the Simmons pick

Regarding ranking higher a hybrid player Instead a specific positional player to play a certain position, football is changing, if a player is talented and versatile , u can use a high pick for a hybrid safety/lb to play ILB

Do u think selecting Pitts top 10 would be a problem for those teams wanting to play him WR, or they should draft a pure WR first ?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson