FA RB James Conner (Steelers) - Signed to Contract 04/13/21

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cardinals sign Conners, then they can go any combination of CB/WR/TE with their 1st 2 picks. They can grab another RB a little later in the draft. Without Conners, then we have to grab a RB with one of those early picks.

Totally agree and one of the most important things about signing Connors is that the Cards don't have to sign a RB early in the Draft especially in the First Round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His stats are better than I thought. Just know when I've watched him play the last 2 seasons I was unimpressed.

He's actually been good I've had him in Fantasy football 2 prior years. The problem is he plays for a few games gets beat up and then someone else went in and often did just as well. Very physical runner though, if not a starter might be OK but not a particularly good receiver

Had 12 td's in 2018, he's a physical runner

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're "I understand from the standpoint" statement is a big part of it; I feel the FO might think by signing him the RB position is "fixed" when it is decidedly underwhelming and below average even with his addition. I mean, I want this big roster hole filled so we don't HAVE to draft that dynamic back, but I don't just want us to toss a warm body in there. Were he not injury prone, I'd be able to overlook his (per Stiller outlets) reports of disappearing in big games, his big fumbles in big moments, etc. Problem is, he's HUGELY injury prone. Adding him to a RB room with Chase and nothing else does nothing to alleviate the RB need. We need a starter AND we need depth. As I said previously, if he's just a depth guy at league minimum or close to it, okay, fine. Counting on him to be a starter or platoon starter is :barf:-worthy.

Bingo. Great way to couch it, Proximo.

RBs don't win championships now.

You can win a championship with Damien Williams as your starter, and most of the Patriots teams didn't really have a "good" RBs room.

Sign me up for James Connor; that means that the Cardinals don't have to feel the need to REACH for a RB and can go into the year with Edmonds, Connor, Ward/Benjamin and it won't be as big a concern as it is right now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
RBs don't win championships now.

You can win a championship with Damien Williams as your starter, and most of the Patriots teams didn't really have a "good" RBs room.

Sign me up for James Connor; that means that the Cardinals don't have to feel the need to REACH for a RB and can go into the year with Edmonds, Connor, Ward/Benjamin and it won't be as big a concern as it is right now.

Agreed that RBs don't win championships now; disagree that we should even consider going into the year with Edmonds, Conner, and Ward/Benjamin.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed that RBs don't win championships now; disagree that we should even consider going into the year with Edmonds, Conner, and Ward/Benjamin.

I disagree mostly.

The league is wising up to paying and using bell cow RB's. They get injured too often and they burn out too quickly.

2-3 back groups are the way forward and there is more than enough supply to do that. You can get as much if not more out of an average group of 3 RB's than you can out of 1 bell cow (on average) while spreading the injury risk and keeping guys fresher.

And when you have one guy you are uber reliant on and they go out for the season your screwed. The way the Panthers were with McCaffrey. The way we were with DJ, and the way the Titans would be with Henry.

I'd rather go into the season with Edmonds, Connor and say Todd Gurley or Duke Johnson (I still think we should sign another vet) than an Aaron Jones or Kenyan Drake taking most of the hand offs.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m okay with it. Although it does tell us Ward and our super 7th round pick Benjamin doesn’t fit in our plans.

That being said a ba field of Edmonds and Connors is not going to strike fear in our opponents heart.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope we get updates in next few hrs a ok power back that is his style right? Be good for goaline or help on 3rd 4th shorth with kirk nuk green slightly maybe fitz

To owners lol if they read this forum sign him!!!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't want a RB to cost us a comp pick at this point. Hopefully he can wait till the deadline passes for that.

As far as JC goes...... Love his story..... Hate his durability...... And his speed is a question mark. this guy aint Drake in the top end speed department. He will be caught. ALOT.

And 4.3 behind the Steelers line is a far cry from the run blocking he will see here.

In short..... I'm not digging this one. In fact.... He's more puke worthy than serviceable in my opinion.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want a RB to cost us a comp pick at this point. Hopefully he can wait till the deadline passes for that.

As far as JC goes...... Love his story..... Hate his durability...... And his speed is a question mark. this guy aint Drake in the top end speed department. He will be caught. ALOT.

And 4.3 behind the Steelers line is a far cry from the run blocking he will see here.

In short..... I'm not digging this one. In fact.... He's more puke worthy than serviceable in my opinion.

Are you inferring the Steelers had a stellar OL? Lol

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Stout has basically explained my feelings in this thread. We're still subpar at starting RB if we make the move. I don't have anything against Conner as a backup RB, but the duo of Edmonds and Conner screams sub-4.0 YPC to me. And a perfect reason for Keim to cop out of selecting an RB that will actually make an impact on this team, instead waiting until late day 3 to add some guy who will be a special teams player at best.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm torn. I guess it will all come down to how much we offer him. Hopefully not another Keim special in the wrong direction.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Conner as a backup RB, but the duo of Edmonds and Conner screams sub-4.0 YPC to me. And a perfect reason for Keim to cop out of selecting an RB that will actually make an impact on this team, instead waiting until late day 3 to add some guy who will be a special teams player at best

Except that neither back has career averages below 4.0 ypc, and like stated by others, the Steelers were one of the worst in the NFL last year in run blocking.

Conner doesn't EXCITE me whatsoever (neither did Drake) but he can be a competent piece.

What excites me about signing Conner is that the Cardinals don't HAVE TO draft a guy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I want to eat filet mignon for dinner every night too!

The question is would you rather use a 1st or 2nd on a back, or other more important positions?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that neither back has career averages below 4.0 ypc, and like stated by others, the Steelers were one of the worst in the NFL last year in run blocking.

Conner doesn't EXCITE me whatsoever (neither did Drake) but he can be a competent piece.

What excites me about signing Conner is that the Cardinals don't HAVE TO draft a guy.

yep

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Conner looked very good... two years ago. To my eye test, he just didn't pass. He reminds me of Chester Taylor's days in the NFL, one really good year followed by a whole bunch of mediocrity. And I see the same player when I saw him run last year and in 2019.

Edmonds' career as a starter is sub 4.0, and that's what we're presumably counting on him for. We'll see. Maybe he's a star and holds up, I just don't have the same confidence others do that our offensive line is as good some seem to thing, since the right side is a huge question mark.

I want to eat filet mignon for dinner every night too!

The question is would you rather use a 1st or 2nd on a back, or other more important positions?
I would rather use a 1st or a 2nd and get an actually adequate player at a position that touches the ball more than anything but QB and Center rather than sitting in the bottom 5 in RB rooms.