Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a bit of misinformation. Pro scouts have limited access to underclassmen and they are never sure who is going to declare so they don't invest as much time drilling into underclassmen prospects as they do senior prospects. This is especially true for draft eligible sophomores. So, after the date when underclassmen declare, scouts start really diving into those players. That is why you see underclassmen move so much between the season's end and the draft. Same goes for small school prospects after they go the the East West game or Senior Bowl or any other all star setting. Scouts finally feel they can get a nice in-person apples to apples eval.

Draft media on the other hand spends a lot of time delving into prospects but their opinions aren't necessarily a great gauge in terms of the league's opinion. That is why you see so many in the draft media adjust their rankings when Daniel Jeremiah comes out with his initial mock and top 50.

So let's take Sewell. His best tape reps are very high end and were as a sophomore. So he was young and flashed some very high-end traits. Scouts in the media got excited and projected what Sewell COULD be. Scouts on teams put Sewell on their radar as someone to watch but put more emphasis on consistency which Sewell was never able to show.

What does this mean? It means that as of his tape and pro-day, Sewell is a high ceiling player with league-standard measurables and athleticism. His tape is inconsistent but he has flashed high end skills. He is considered one of the top players at his position, and one of the top 15 players in the draft, but he is not viewed as a top 5 player in the draft which scouts generally reserve for generational guys. That real outlier type of a prospect.

Normally yes. Except Sewell has had plenty of eyes on him for years. There's no analyst out there that hasn't deep dived on him before and in fact the vast majority still have him #1 OT.

The "doubts" are the silly anonymous twitter quotes you get every year. Similar to Fields. I haven't seen any draft analyst worth anything drop Sewell in their rankings.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Normally yes. Except Sewell has had plenty of eyes on him for years. There's no analyst out there that hasn't deep dived on him before and in fact the vast majority still have him #1 OT.

The "doubts" are the silly anonymous twitter quotes you get every year. Similar to Fields. I haven't seen any draft analyst worth anything drop Sewell in their rankings.
Sewell is viewed universally as a top 3 OT in this draft and a top 12 player. No one "dropped him". NFL team scouts have maybe put in a little time studying Sewell after his 2019 season because it was thought he would declare as a Jr. They also put in time during his opt out year but that was just continuing to watch his film from 2019. Scouts were very limited in their ability to do in-person school visits in 2020 and I think they may not have been allowed.

Basically, NFL college scouts do not waste time scouting non-draft-eligible players. They have too many prospects to sift through to do so. They will catch notice of underclassmen who flash when scouting draft-eligible prospects but they won't deep dive into them. So, in Sewell's case. Right when scouts were going to begin to dive into him as a prospect, covid hit limiting their access and his opt out denied them further tape.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only sharing cause Scharger seems to be always plugged in to what the Cardinals are thinking.
Arizona Cardinals
Arizona Cardinals
(via Lions)
TRADE
Kyle Pitts
Kyle Pitts
Florida · TE
Pitts isn't falling out of the top eight. Too many teams are intoxicated by him. I've got the Cardinals as aggressors -- as they've been all offseason -- with Steve Keim bringing in yet another weapon for Kyler Murray. Arizona gives up this year's first-rounder, next year's first and next year's third to move up from No. 16.
https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schr...tin-fields-cardinals?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Only sharing cause Scharger seems to be always plugged in to what the Cardinals are thinking.

https://www.nfl.com/news/peter-schr...tin-fields-cardinals?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb
I agree. He does seem to have a gauge what the Cardinals are trying to do. Several people on this board would hate this but I would not mind. Essentially the Cardinals would be drafting AJ Green's replacement but also a player good enough to have contribute this year as well. If we did this, more 4 WR sets and an easier time moving Hopkins around if the team is interested in that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All right @DVontel because I don't believe Pitts gets past Cincy and Miami.

Jaylen Waddle or Greg Newsome at 16?

I understand the need for a CB, but the more I have seen from Waddle, the more I think he has a chance to be a special player. It isn't a guarantee, but it is there. I like Newsome but I don't believe he has that same potential.

EDIT: Obviously this question is open to everyone but I know Dvontel likes both of these players.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In this offense it would be insane.

while the move would be a ?

i see this rationale a lot (and not to pick on you BC)

but could it be if you have below avg. TEs, you dont make them a focus of an offense? We arent talking about a fullback here

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I understand the need for a CB, but the more I have seen from Waddle, the more I think he has a chance to be a special player. It isn't a guarantee, but it is there. I like Newsome but I don't believe he has that same potential.

EDIT: Obviously this question is open to everyone but I know Dvontel likes both of these players.

I like Newsome. I'm less sure on Waddle. I'm also dead against #1 WR. I think the drop off between #1 and #2 receivers is much smaller than CB's (and most positions).

It's hard to see anything but CB with the room we have.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
while the move would be a ?

i see this rationale a lot (and not to pick on you BC)

but could it be if you have below avg. TEs, you dont make them a focus of an offense? We arent talking about a fullback here

When was the last time anyone traded up for a TE in the 1st? Especially 9 expensive 1st round spots? That's practically unheard of for a WR. The Steelers moved up from 20 to 10 in '19 for Devin Bush and it cost them a 2nd and 3rd round pick. The Bills moved up a bunch to get Watkins in '14.

The position simply isn't valuable enough. If you want more receiving options for Kyler (although I don't know why, there's only 1 ball) then you would be better standing pat and taking a WR or better yet, trading back and picking up Freiermuth.

It also goes against the narrative that Keim is being cautious in FA because he wants to bank some comp picks next year. What would be the use in banking an extra 5th and and a couple of 7th's if we give away a 2nd round pick and more to move up for a TE?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope Cardinals draft a good OL with their first round pick. Kugler is the only coach at this time who seems to know his craft on the staff. So why not trust him to develop a first round pick instead of picking the next off ball LB again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

As much as I want a cb . . . Waddle

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When was the last time anyone traded up for a TE in the 1st? Especially 9 expensive 1st round spots? That's practically unheard of for a WR. The Steelers moved up from 20 to 10 in '19 for Devin Bush and it cost them a 2nd and 3rd round pick. The Bills moved up a bunch to get Watkins in '14.

The position simply isn't valuable enough. If you want more receiving options for Kyler (although I don't know why, there's only 1 ball) then you would be better standing pat and taking a WR or better yet, trading back and picking up Freiermuth.

It also goes against the narrative that Keim is being cautious in FA because he wants to bank some comp picks next year. What would be the use in banking an extra 5th and and a couple of 7th's if we give away a 2nd round pick and more to move up for a TE?
Uh the comp picks still retain their intrinsic value independent of the trade. If we didn’t make the trade up for Pitts and retained next years 1st and 3rd the company picks’ value wouldn’t change one iota. That particular comment makes no sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I actually lean towards Waddle. He’s got some Tyreek Hill in him. You put that kind speed opposite Hops playmaking ability along with Kyler being an offensive switchblade at QB, and you’re talking not just very good offense, but possible league best.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gambadoro was basically saying Pitts is the #1 player on our board. If Pitts falls to 7 I wouldn't be surprised to see us to trade up to the Lions spot.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
What’s the price to move from 16 to 7? I almost think it would take all of this years remaining draft capital, and maybe a piece of 2022 as well.

it’s fun to speculate, but that scenario is a pipe dream IMO.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can see bootleg type situations where the linebacker covering Pitts has a seizure trying to decide what to do.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I just looked at the draft value table, and giving up both our 2nd and 5th round picks probably won’t cut what’s needed to move from 16 to 7. This would be a Ricky Williams type deal, unless we want to also part with one of our better players who is currently on a rookie deal (or pass over a decent 2022 pick). I totally believe Pitts would be a great addition, but just not a realistic one.