Doctor Who

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still watching. I also don’t mind Jodie as the Doctor and think she is a good fit for the role, but I have felt that the storylines since she has taken over have been really, really weak.

Yeah, there's usually aspects of each episode that I like but far too much social commentary (in season 11 at least) and a lot of episodes that don't feel consistent with the history and theme of the show. For me, Jodie is the only thing saving the series although I'd imagine a lot of people are blaming her for the decline.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Is anyone still watching this show? My wife and I stopped at the start of season 11 the last time we watched it so we decided it was time for a re-watch. Still love the show and even enjoyed Capaldi this time around. However, we couldn't make it into season 12. I was against the idea of a female doctor (and a female master) but I was impressed with Jodie in the role so we gave her first season a try. We both disliked it despite really liking Jodie's version of the Doctor.

Anyone else feel differently?

Stay away if you haven't watched season 12. It made S11 look good. They got even heavier handed with the social commentary and I won't even tell you how bad they destroyed the last 57 years worth of canon. Lets just say in a 5 minute sequence they made it so that Hartnell isn't the first Doctor anymore. It literally took me multiple sittings to make it through that last episode. So bad that I haven't watched the last holiday special or any Who since and I've seen every episode (including classic) multiple times.

Chibnall never should have been put in charge of the show. He's been horrible. They need to get a new show runner in to try to fix the damage that he's done but it might not be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if S13 is the last season of it for a long time. They already cut the number of episodes in it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Stay away if you haven't watched season 12. It made S11 look good. They got even heavier handed with the social commentary and I won't even tell you how bad they destroyed the last 57 years worth of canon. Lets just say in a 5 minute sequence they made it so that Hartnell isn't the first Doctor anymore. It literally took me multiple sittings to make it through that last episode. So bad that I haven't watched the last holiday special or any Who since and I've seen every episode (including classic) multiple times.

Chibnall never should have been put in charge of the show. He's been horrible. They need to get a new show runner in to try to fix the damage that he's done but it might not be possible. I wouldn't be surprised if S13 is the last season of it for a long time. They already cut the number of episodes in it.
I watched the Holiday episode a couple of weeks ago, and the biggest indictment on season 12 is that while I watched the episode I couldn’t remember a single thing that had happened in the previous season.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched since Tennant. No specific reason why, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I haven't watched since Tennant. No specific reason why, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

The Matt Smith Doctor is worth watching. He was the seasons right after Tennant and they were good.

The Capaldi era was a disappointment. I still think he got screwed. He made for a great Doctor but that's when the writing started to go south. He was also hampered by his companion Clara with it. She was great to start out but they kept her around too long. Instead of ending her arc and bringing in someone new like they usually do they morphed her arc and it became a mess. The companion should over shadow the Doctor and it was happening a lot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Matt Smith Doctor is worth watching. He was the seasons right after Tennant and they were good.

The Capaldi era was a disappointment. I still think he got screwed. He made for a great Doctor but that's when the writing started to go south. He was also hampered by his companion Clara with it. She was great to start out but they kept her around too long. Instead of ending her arc and bringing in someone new like they usually do they morphed her arc and it became a mess. The companion should over shadow the Doctor and it was happening a lot.

He was a crappy doctor. Writing or not. His character came off as mean spirited and cranky all the time. Clara was the only thing that made that run worth watching IMO. I would have completely turned it off otherwise. His time as the Doctor was completely forgettable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel differently on Capaldi's episodes. On a re-watch, I discovered much more to like about them than I did the first time through. Mostly, once I grew to appreciate Capaldi, I found a lot more humor and wit from his character than I noticed back when I was still steaming over them putting in some grouchy old man to play the Doctor. I loved Matt Smith and he had some great episodes but he had some horrible ones too during his run - I'd say the same for the Capaldi era.

I didn't like what they did with Clara, especially from Dark Water on. They changed her personality, made her far more headstrong and in effect, put her above the doctor. At a minimum, she should have moved on as soon as the show was back on an even keel following the death of Danny Pink.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel differently on Capaldi's episodes. On a re-watch, I discovered much more to like about them than I did the first time through. Mostly, once I grew to appreciate Capaldi, I found a lot more humor and wit from his character than I noticed back when I was still steaming over them putting in some grouchy old man to play the Doctor. I loved Matt Smith and he had some great episodes but he had some horrible ones too during his run - I'd say the same for the Capaldi era.

I didn't like what they did with Clara, especially from Dark Water on. They changed her personality, made her far more headstrong and in effect, put her above the doctor. At a minimum, she should have moved on as soon as the show was back on an even keel following the death of Danny Pink.

My son missed a bunch of those episodes. We went back and rewatched them together. Nothing changed for me. My son afterwards said he was glad there was a new Doctor. Didn't like him for a micro-second. He still has not watched the JW episodes yet. Then I sprung on him she is leaving too. He is really far behind. College is taking up all his time. :lol:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the characters I found annoying, Donna tops the list.

Actually she's about the only character I found consistently annoying although Graham bugged me off and on.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I enjoyed Capaldi’s take on the Doctor once he got into the groove of it. At the beginning he played the character like a grumpy old grandpa which was super annoying, but as time went on he seemed to transition to more of a cool older uncle, which I found to be much more enjoyable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so happy when Donna was gone. Annoying as hell.

Yeah, what's not to love about Donna? She's loud, aggressive, ignorant and opinionated but on the positive side, at least she has an incredibly irritating voice to go along with those traits.

JerkFace

Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like that Jodie Whitaker is no longer the Doctor. At least I got an autograph from a family reunion for my daughter before she left the part. :)
In a shocker that everyone thought Ncuti Gatwa was being introduced as the 14th Doctor....they pulled a fast one.

David Tennant is coming back as the 14th Doctor for 3 Specials before the 15th Doctor (Ncuti Gatwa) takes over. It's the first time the Doctor has regenerated into a previous version of himself.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media