Darnold to the Panthers

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Jim Nagy
@JimNagy_SB

Teams should never draft a player based on how popular the pick would be with a fanbase but every so often a local guy just makes sense. Now that Carolina has addressed QB position with Sam Darnold, South Carolina CB Jaycee Horn would be a home run pick for new GM Scott Fitterer.

If they want Horn at #8..more power to them. He had a great pro day, and I think he is going to be a really solid pro, but I think hes at best the #2 CB in this draft, and might have a rough transition as a rookie. As much as I like Horn, I wouldn't take him top 8.

Just like last year, we need to prepare ourselves for a surprise at #16. Someone is going to slip that we thought would be gone. My bet...its Kyle Pitts.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If they want Horn at #8..more power to them. He had a great pro day, and I think he is going to be a really solid pro, but I think hes at best the #2 CB in this draft, and might have a rough transition as a rookie. As much as I like Horn, I wouldn't take him top 8.

Just like last year, we need to prepare ourselves for a surprise at #16. Someone is going to slip that we thought would be gone. My bet...its Kyle Pitts.

I can't see Pitts falling that far. But maybe the surprise is Waddle falling to 16.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That would be a HORRIBLE trade for Carolina.
Complete disagreement here.

With McCaffrey the Panthers have never won more than 7 games. RB is one of the easiest position groups to replace.

Darnold is a gamble more than anything else.

#8 is worth less than normal because of the lack of top end players available.

A first next year is worth less because you are trading for Russ to get you competitive.

Burns and Gross-Matos are replaceable even if I would prefer to move Gross-Matos.

they have a ton of cap space in 2022 for free agents.

Brady is old. Brees is retired. Ryan is getting another new coach. Carolina would go from irrelevant to having the best QB in the division in one move.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With McCaffrey the Panthers have never won more than 7 games. RB is one of the easiest position groups to replace.

A first next year is worth less because you are trading for Russ to get you competitive.

Burns and Gross-Matos are replaceable even if I would prefer to move Gross-Matos.

Brady is old. Brees is retired. Ryan is getting another new coach. Carolina would go from irrelevant to having the best QB in the division in one move.

And an old Brady and that TB team would still slap them around.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man you’re taking some big swings this offseason.
At least I got the SF one right!!!

This is another where it is about reading the tea leaves. Carolina was all in on Watson but the Texans wanted a QB back. Chicago was all in on Wilson but the Seahawks wanted a QB back. Pete Carroll who calls the shots in Seattle really thinks a lot of Sam Darnold and he loves to run the ball. Carolina has said that any player was available when trading for Watson, including McCaffrey. Bears offer that tempted Seattle was 3 1sts, a 3rd and two players (presumably guys the Bears then cut).

Carolina now has cap space, a QB that Seattle likes, a high draft pick and a RB that Seattle covets.

So, 2 1sts, Darnold, and McCaffrey seems like a better offer and hits Seattle in the areas they want.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And an old Brady and that TB team would still slap them around.
Sure, for next year, but they would be relevant and probably in 2nd place in the division. It's worlds better than hinging your hopes on Darnold (who I like) or some other miracle.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At least I got the SF one right!!!

This is another where it is about reading the tea leaves. Carolina was all in on Watson but the Texans wanted a QB back. Chicago was all in on Wilson but the Seahawks wanted a QB back. Pete Carroll who calls the shots in Seattle really thinks a lot of Sam Darnold and he loves to run the ball. Carolina has said that any player was available when trading for Watson, including McCaffrey. Bears offer that tempted Seattle was 3 1sts, a 3rd and two players (presumably guys the Bears then cut).

Carolina now has cap space, a QB that Seattle likes, a high draft pick and a RB that Seattle covets.

So, 2 1sts, Darnold, and McCaffrey seems like a better offer and hits Seattle in the areas they want.
I wish you had hit on your cardinals FA swings rather than SF trade. But you struck out in those innings.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Burns is definitely not replaceable, but I get your reasoning for the rest.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, for next year, but they would be relevant and probably in 2nd place in the division. It's worlds better than hinging your hopes on Darnold (who I like) or some other miracle.
Can I ask what you like about Darnold? Other than measurables? After watching him a few times he left me with the feeling that he isn’t a lot to be desired at all....

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't see Pitts falling that far. But maybe the surprise is Waddle falling to 16.

Yea could be. One of the "offensive weapons" is going to unexpectedly be there @16.

In order of excitement, I would hope for Chase, Pitts, Waddle, Smith.

I know I am probably in the group that is underestimating Smith...but I think the other 3 offer something that we don't have.

Chase IMO is the best WR in the class by a mile. I love the way he plays. He would be the perfect #2 to go with DHOP.

Pitts is potentially a game changing TE, and Waddle has speed for days.

If any of those 4 are still there....then it means there was a run on QB's and defensive players, so those guys might be BPA as well as fill a need.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea could be. One of the "offensive weapons" is going to unexpectedly be there @16.

In order of excitement, I would hope for Chase, Pitts, Waddle, Smith.

I know I am probably in the group that is underestimating Smith...but I think the other 3 offer something that we don't have.

Chase IMO is the best WR in the class by a mile. I love the way he plays. He would be the perfect #2 to go with DHOP.

Pitts is potentially a game changing TE, and Waddle has speed for days.

If any of those 4 are still there....then it means there was a run on QB's and defensive players, so those guys might be BPA as well as fill a need.

I can see waddle falling to us
And I see horn and Surtain being drafted before our pick
5 qb in the top ten
Slater and sewell in the top ten
Pitts chase top 10
Horn to panthers
Surtain to cowboys
Devonte Smith to Philadelphia
Payne top 15
Vera tucker Chargers

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

LOL I swear, some of you would say to trade Barry Sanders or Jim Brown in their prime, because "RB is one of the easiest position groups to replace." Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Stout

Reaction score
They are saying it since is not 1995 anymore if I read correctly

No, sorry, it's gotten overboard to the point of absurdity. There's de-prioritizing certain positions and then there's flat-out advocating to criminally neglect them. Unless you're acquiring more superstars, it's stupid to trade away your top talent. You CERTAINLY don't trade your top talent as merely one piece in a huge bundle of pieces to acquire...1 player.

Then again, as Cards fans, we're not in danger of trading away any star RBs lol

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, sorry, it's gotten overboard to the point of absurdity. There's de-prioritizing certain positions and then there's flat-out advocating to criminally neglect them. Unless you're acquiring more superstars, it's stupid to trade away your top talent. You CERTAINLY don't trade your top talent as merely one piece in a huge bundle of pieces to acquire...1 player.

Then again, as Cards fans, we're not in danger of trading away any star RBs lol

dont worry we will be just fine with Edmonds and Conner :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LOL I swear, some of you would say to trade Barry Sanders or Jim Brown in their prime, because "RB is one of the easiest position groups to replace." Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

To be fair, what, exactly, did Barry Sanders win? Jim Brown retired before man landed on the moon.

A great RB like Ladanian Tomlinson still needed a plus-QB to keep his team relevant.

Reaction score
Saw a post somewhere and don't know if it's accurate, but anyway. . .

It said, in the year 2022 Panthers will be paying as much for the combination of Bridgewater and Darnold as Chiefs will pay for Mahomes; $41million! :eek:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You having to go 30+ years back in a completely different era isn’t really helping anything.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There goes Jaycee Horn. UGH

Welcome to Az Farley. Hope u stay healthy

Stout

Reaction score
You having to go 30+ years back in a completely different era isn’t really helping anything.

So you'd trade a top RB as ONE PIECE, with several other big pieces, just to land Russel Wilson? You're out your damn mind. But then, you and several others on here have lost touch and think a pee wee player can be plugged in at RB.

You know I just grabbed a few HOF RB names off the top of my head. I could just as easily have said, ya know, CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY.

Anyone wanting to trade Christian McCaffrey, a top-10 pick, ANOTHER first rounder, and, and...for Russel Wilson, is out of touch with reality.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you'd trade a top RB as ONE PIECE, with several other big pieces, just to land Russel Wilson? You're out your damn mind. But then, you and several others on here have lost touch and think a pee wee player can be plugged in at RB.

You know I just grabbed a few HOF RB names off the top of my head. I could just as easily have said, ya know, CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY.

Anyone wanting to trade Christian McCaffrey, a top-10 pick, ANOTHER first rounder, and, and...for Russel Wilson, is out of touch with reality.
lol

You realize Russell Wilson plays the most valuable position in football by light years, right? I think anyone that realize it’s the year 2021 & not 1991 would make that trade(would replace Burns with another player though).

How you gonna throw the HOF label on McCaffrey this early? Have you not learned with Todd Gurley? David Johnson? Ezekiel Elliot? C’mon now.

It’s actually scary how you & others are still holding RB to such a high regard of value in this day & age.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson