2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Porzingis is out indefinitely with a sprained wrist. He's a good player when healthy but he's never healthy. I don't think it'll be that long before Luka starts making waves for some help in Dallas because they can't depend on KP.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Porzingis is out indefinitely with a sprained wrist. He's a good player when healthy but he's never healthy. I don't think it'll be that long before Luka starts making waves for some help in Dallas because they can't depend on KP.

Injury risks, the fact he's supposedly a prima donna and having to deal with his brother is why Phil Jackson was exploring trade options. It got him fired but he was right. The guy is special when all is perfect but he's just too much risk and too much trouble. And I don't know how Dallas is going to bring in enough talent for Luka if KP isn't part of that core unless they can move him for real value.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injury risks, the fact he's supposedly a prima donna and having to deal with his brother is why Phil Jackson was exploring trade options. It got him fired but he was right. The guy is special when all is perfect but he's just too much risk and too much trouble. And I don't know how Dallas is going to bring in enough talent for Luka if KP isn't part of that core unless they can move him for real value.

Phil was right moving on from KP. Unfortunately you're not judged on deals 2-3 years after the fact when it comes to retaining your job in the NBA.

Who knows how the Mavs add pieces around Luka but Cuban is willing to spend big money and he'll need to for them to add some talent around him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil was right moving on from KP. Unfortunately you're not judged on deals 2-3 years after the fact when it comes to retaining your job in the NBA.

Who knows how the Mavs add pieces around Luka but Cuban is willing to spend big money and he'll need to for them to add some talent around him.

I don't think that's what happened. As I recall, Phil's decision to pursue trade proposals for him led or at least contributed to him being fired. But he didn't trade KP, the Knicks traded him about a year and a half later.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's what happened. As I recall, Phil's decision to pursue trade proposals for him led or at least contributed to him being fired. But he didn't trade KP, the Knicks traded him about a year and a half later.

Yeah I knew my timing might have been off. KP skipped his last exit meeting with Phil and then Jackson was let go that offseason after he started talking about dealing him. KP didn't play much, or at all, after Phil was let go but he asked for a trade the next offseason and then the Dallas deal materialized quicker than some outlets were able to report that he asked to be dealt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I knew my timing might have been off. KP skipped his last exit meeting with Phil and then Jackson was let go that offseason after he started talking about dealing him. KP didn't play much, or at all, after Phil was let go but he asked for a trade the next offseason and then the Dallas deal materialized quicker than some outlets were able to report that he asked to be dealt.

Yeah, KP was supposedly upset at the way Phil was dealing with Carmelo (who Jackson was going to get rid of, one way or the other) so he skipped the meeting. Phil was tired of his antics and having to put up with KP's brother/agent/manager(?) and was concerned about his longterm injury potential so even though KP was the toast of New York, he started shopping him. Had the owner supported Jackson, they could have made a much better deal than what they ended up getting from Dallas 18 months later.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Honestly, even when KP is healthy, Dallas lacks the second option. KP is fine as your third best player, but you will be severely limited with KP as your second option. I am sure Cuban is willing to spend the money, but he hasn't been able to sign anyone noteworthy in the last couple of years.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The next 4-5 games could put the Lakers down to the 7th seed, crossing my fingers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Cannady signs 10 day contract with Magic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets claim DaQuan Jeffries off Waivers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next 4-5 games could put the Lakers down to the 7th seed, crossing my fingers.

Sure but you know what will happen. We'll hold onto 2nd; they'll get everyone healthy and up to full speed just in time to win the 7th play-in spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat plan to sign Dewayne Dedmon to bolster frontcourt.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heat plan to sign Dewayne Dedmon to bolster frontcourt.

I was interested in Dedmon a lot a couple of years ago, haven't check on how his game is lately. Its probably much more critical to have a healthy Frank than a signed Dedmon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was interested in Dedmon a lot a couple of years ago, haven't check on how his game is lately. Its probably much more critical to have a healthy Frank than a signed Dedmon.

It's all about having depth and the ability to go big if necessary as I view it.

As it stands now, the Suns can't afford to be without a healthy Saric and Kaminsky. I would have liked to add one more big for this reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose