Darnold to the Panthers

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good trade for both teams. The only way the Jets ever become anything is cleaning house and maybe, finally, get the right GM/HC/QB combo in there.

Darnold should be thrilled. He gets to go to a great running team who will probably add an elite talent at #8 (Chase, Smith, Pitts?). He can absolutely turn it around enough over the next 2 years to earn a huge deal and establish himself as a starter in the NFL.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Am I one of the few who think Darnold is completely overrated?

I understand he played behind a terrible offensive line and that he played for the Jets lol, but here are some career numbers:

-QBR 43
-78 Rating
-59% Completion

He's had decent weapons like Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon, Le'Veon Bell. This move just seems like a bit of a head scratcher to me on Carolinas part. Why not target a prospect in the draft like Trey Lance/Justin Fields who at least has the potential to be elite rather than giving up precious draft capital for a qb who IMO appears to be average AT BEST.

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but I think Darnold has "Josh Rosen" written all over him.

Now with all that said, I really do like the coaching staff in Carolina and if Teddy can have a decent season I can see Darnold producing similar results.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand he played behind a terrible offensive line and that he played for the Jets lol, but here are some career numbers:

-QBR 43
-78 Rating
-59% Completion

He's had decent weapons like Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon, Le'Veon Bell. This move just seems like a bit of a head scratcher to me on Carolinas part. Why not target a prospect in the draft like Trey Lance/Justin Fields who at least has the potential to be elite rather than giving up precious draft capital for a qb who IMO appears to be average AT BEST.

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but I think Darnold has "Josh Rosen" written all over him.

Now with all that said, I really do like the coaching staff in Carolina and if Teddy can have a decent season I can see Darnold producing similar results.

I certainly don’t feel he is anything special at all.... He definitely didn’t make that team around him better. Like true franchise QBs do.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

-QBR 43
-78 Rating
-59% Completion

I think thats the ticket right now. Rhule is a system guy. He knows that Darnold can put up at worst, a decent season in his system. If it goes well and Darnold thrives, then great. If not, then he has a young QB, who should by default improve with experience and time in the offense.

Rhule has also gotten that QB without giving up a 1st round pick, which if he then picks correctly, could massively improve Carolina's roster.

Honestly, if they land Jamar Chase or Davonte Smith...with a healthy McCaffrey...thats not a team I would want to play when it matters.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

-QBR 43
-78 Rating
-59% Completion

Hard to tell looking to see how he does with panthers if he fails to produce anything bust

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Carolina wants to move on from Bridgewater because he was 0 for 8 on game winning or tying drives.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

-QBR 43
-78 Rating
-59% Completion

Those aren’t remarkable weapons, especially half of a season with LeVeon Bell’s rotting corpse. And Adam Gase is one of the biggest laughing stocks in the NFL with regards to play calling and player development.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Those aren’t remarkable weapons, especially half of a season with LeVeon Bell’s rotting corpse. And Adam Gase is one of the biggest laughing stocks in the NFL with regards to play calling and player development.
He’s definitely more talented than Ryan Tannehill and look what he did after getting ditched by Gase.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

well his best season was under Adam Gase.... and that was totally unremarkable.... He’s had three years in the league and was a #3 overall pick. I’m guessing and going out on a really thin limb saying that his career will be nothing special from this point forward.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jim Nagy
@JimNagy_SB

Teams should never draft a player based on how popular the pick would be with a fanbase but every so often a local guy just makes sense. Now that Carolina has addressed QB position with Sam Darnold, South Carolina CB Jaycee Horn would be a home run pick for new GM Scott Fitterer.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Panthers will no longer be looking for a QB with their first round pick. They could go after one of the top CBs now as it is a big need for them.
I don't believe this prevents them from doing so. I do believe it prevents them from being forced into a bidding war to trade up with Cincy for a QB. If a QB they like is available at 8, they will still select him. Darnold does not prevent that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sam Darnold
Christian McCaffery
1st next year
Maybe Brian Burns or Gross-Matos as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave