Path to the draft....trades, rumors, etc

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Head coaches whose forte is the offense want a quarterback who can execute their offense. That is the appeal of Mac Jones and Kyle Trask.
The question now is, if the saints are going to trade up to get trask ... since 4 QB could go 1-4 and then there are still QB needy teams there... you need to trade up as Saints if you want your guy.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know we’re down on short receivers but if Moore is available in the 2nd I’m not even thinking about it.
Moore was a god his freshman year, but he hasn't looked the same since his ACL tear. I could see him being good in the NFL, but I would definitely think about it.

I guess he isn't more of a risk than Waddle.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Moore was a god his freshman year, but he hasn't looked the same since his ACL tear. I could see him being good in the NFL, but I would definitely think about it.

I guess he isn't more of a risk than Waddle.

Talking about Elijah Moore from Ole Miss.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Don’t get the infatuation with Trey Lance. Small school guy with only year of playing. He won’t be ready for about 3 years., if then.
Maybe he’ll be worth the wait but in today’s NFL, QBs are usually pushed into action early.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Give me Terrace Marshall Jr. from LSU in Round 2. He's just as fast as Elijah Moore and Ja'Marr Chase and a bigger target.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Give me Terrace Marshall Jr. from LSU in Round 2. He's just as fast as Elijah Moore and Ja'Marr Chase and a bigger target.
It’d be a nice get in round 2 but he’ll likely be gone by cards pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ideal situation for them and why Carolina went for Darnold. Teams are getting a bit desperate. Don't be shocked if the Bengals, Dolphins and Lions consider moving as well. Kyle Pitts is about the only reason a team would stay unless they also want a QB depending on how far they would need to drop.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Draft info to consider.

1 - Penei Sewell is not viewed as transcendent OT.

2 - Kyle Pitts is viewed as a transcendent talent.

3 - Teams do not like the projected QB class next year.

4 - Similar to WR, teams really like the talent of the OL class which may cause the top players to fall a bit.

5 - Teams wonder about Surtain's ceiling in terms of being a top 10 pick.

6 - Teams are trading into the top 10 for QBs because other teams don't love the top talent in this draft at other positions.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ideal situation for them and why Carolina went for Darnold. Teams are getting a bit desperate. Don't be shocked if the Bengals, Dolphins and Lions consider moving as well. Kyle Pitts is about the only reason a team would stay unless they also want a QB depending on how far they would need to drop.

The Dolphins trade up to 6, how they can move back now
Clearly they want Pitts or Chase

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t agree tbh. I think they should draft a QB. I don’t think Matt is getting any better & he’s only getting older. You don’t want to be like your rival in New Orleans & hold on to your old HOF QB before it’s too late with no fallback plan.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don’t agree tbh. I think they should draft a QB. I don’t think Matt is getting any better & he’s only getting older. You don’t want to be like your rival in New Orleans & hold on to your old HOF QB before it’s too late with no fallback plan.
I think this is valid unless you don't like the leftovers you will get at 4. I do believe there were QBs that Atlanta was interested in, but I am confident they have info that those QBs will not be available. They are not interested in drafting a QB to just draft a QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Dolphins trade up to 6, how they can move back now
Clearly they want Pitts or Chase
All depends on the offer. They moved up to 6 because they felt it was a prime spot over 12. My guess is their board is Pitts, Sewell/Slater, Surtain and Chase/DSmith. That makes sense if you look at the teams they jumped by trading up.

Lions WR/CB
Panthers OL/CB
Broncos OL/CB/LB
Cowboys OL/CB
Giants OL/CB/LB

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Draft info to consider.

1 - Penei Sewell is not viewed as transcendent OT.

2 - Kyle Pitts is viewed as a transcendent talent.

3 - Teams do not like the projected QB class next year.

4 - Similar to WR, teams really like the talent of the OL class which may cause the top players to fall a bit.

5 - Teams wonder about Surtain's ceiling in terms of being a top 10 pick.

6 - Teams are trading into the top 10 for QBs because other teams don't love the top talent in this draft at other positions.
I wonder when this changed? He was widely considered one of the best OT prospects in years and then opted out of the season. Weird.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wonder when this changed? He was widely considered one of the best OT prospects in years and then opted out of the season. Weird.
I don't know that it really changed. I think people saw flashes as a 19 year old and got really excited. Physically he is not special. Athletically he is not special. Technically he is not special. I believe that everyone thinks he can be really good, but no one is seeing a kid who is a generational talent.

Even compared to last year. He is not as physically impressive as Mehki Becton. He is not as athletic as Tristan Wirfs. He is not as refined as Jedrick Wills.

EDIT: And none of this is to dimish him, but it lends to him being taken in a similar range as those three last year than a top 5 player.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know that it really changed. I think people saw flashes as a 19 year old and got really excited. Physically he is not special. Athletically he is not special. Technically he is not special. I believe that everyone thinks he can be really good, but no one is seeing a kid who is a generational talent.

Even compared to last year. He is not as physically impressive as Mehki Becton. He is not as athletic as Tristan Wirfs. He is not as refined as Jedrick Wills.

EDIT: And none of this is to dimish him, but it lends to him being taken in a similar range as those three last year than a top 5 player.

If hes there at #16 I would jump for joy. He would immediately be our best lineman behind Hudson.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think people included me get too much infatuated by pro day numbers, the guy is very good, and his tape is better or even the same the guys u mentioned

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it's dumb personally. You see this kind of thing every year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think people included me get too much infatuated by pro day numbers, the guy is very good, and his tape is better or even the same the guys u mentioned
His tape isn't consistent. When people were talking about him it was under the guise that he would continue to progress last year. He didn't because he opted out which is fine but that means he is still an inconsistent player with upside.

A prime example is that AVT had very good tape at OG in 2019. He then plays OT in 2020 also very consistently. So, his tape is better than Sewell's, they are similar athletically, but some people perceive Sewell to have a higher ceiling which is why he would be valued more.

EDIT: So, per the tape, Sewell has similar inconsistencies as Tristan Wirfs and did not test quite as well athletically but it was close. Sewell's tape did show flashes of higher end play which is why some miht grade him higher than Wirfs was graded.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think it's dumb personally. You see this kind of thing every year.
This is a bit of misinformation. Pro scouts have limited access to underclassmen and they are never sure who is going to declare so they don't invest as much time drilling into underclassmen prospects as they do senior prospects. This is especially true for draft eligible sophomores. So, after the date when underclassmen declare, scouts start really diving into those players. That is why you see underclassmen move so much between the season's end and the draft. Same goes for small school prospects after they go the the East West game or Senior Bowl or any other all star setting. Scouts finally feel they can get a nice in-person apples to apples eval.

Draft media on the other hand spends a lot of time delving into prospects but their opinions aren't necessarily a great gauge in terms of the league's opinion. That is why you see so many in the draft media adjust their rankings when Daniel Jeremiah comes out with his initial mock and top 50.

So let's take Sewell. His best tape reps are very high end and were as a sophomore. So he was young and flashed some very high-end traits. Scouts in the media got excited and projected what Sewell COULD be. Scouts on teams put Sewell on their radar as someone to watch but put more emphasis on consistency which Sewell was never able to show.

What does this mean? It means that as of his tape and pro-day, Sewell is a high ceiling player with league-standard measurables and athleticism. His tape is inconsistent but he has flashed high end skills. He is considered one of the top players at his position, and one of the top 15 players in the draft, but he is not viewed as a top 5 player in the draft which scouts generally reserve for generational guys. That real outlier type of a prospect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson