Have you ever seen a team Implode like the Texans have?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I have no memory anymore, so can't think of one. However, in one year they have taken a really top NFL team and turned it into a worthless piece of junk. The icing on the cake being, waiting to trade a QB, who refuses to play for you any longer, while he continues to become more and more untouchable as each day goes by. They have taken a billion dollar business and run it completely into the ground in a matter of months. If I owned this team I would sell it now, take as much profit as I could get, and run to a secret hiding place.

Reminds me of myself, now that I think about it. In one year, I just put nearly $7,000 into a 22 year old car that I couldn't trade in on a new one and expect more than a grand, if that. Dang I love that car, but guess it's time to say goodbye. At least it hasn't cost me as much as an ex-wife. My next one will probably be a hybrid. (And then I will have to think about what kind of car I want.)

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no memory anymore, so can't think of one. However, in one year they have taken a really top NFL team and turned it into a worthless piece of junk. The icing on the cake being, waiting to trade a QB, who refuses to play for you any longer, while he continues to become more and more untouchable as each day goes by. They have taken a billion dollar business and run it completely into the ground in a matter of months. If I owned this team I would sell it now, take as much profit as I could get, and run to a secret hiding place.
Never sell at rock bottom. In the NFL, teams can rebound quick.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We went from 10-6 to 4-12 in one season when everyone defected in 2010. Took until 2013 for this team to be competitive again.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Reminds me of myself, now that I think about it. In one year, I just put nearly $7,000 into a 22 year old car that I couldn't trade in on a new one and expect more than a grand, if that. Dang I love that car, but guess it's time to say goodbye. At least it hasn't cost me as much as an ex-wife. My next one will probably be a hybrid. (And then I will have to think about what kind of car I want.)
1999 cards?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Just yesterday Florio was saying they are now like an expansion team, based on the players they've lost and the amount of FA signings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got a message asking which destructive effort was the worst of those I eluded to seeing.

In 1998 the Cards not only made the playoffs but beat the Cowboys in the first playoff game in Dallas. Following the season the Cards thanked their fans by releasing Lomas Brown, Jamir Miller and Larry Centers. Brown, an OT, was at the end of his career but was still serviceable and had solidified the Cards’ line. He was, however, continually maligned by several board trolls. Miller signed with Cleveland. A recent article named Miller among the 5 greatest free agent signings in Browns’ history. He had just blossomed into one of the top LBs in the league and Dollar Bill refused to pay him. Centers, often called the heart and soul of the Cards in those days, went to Washington and continued to play at a solid level. The Cards fell to 6-10 and instead of contending and developing Plummer the Cards coach, Vince Tobin, was fired. Totally disheartened the Cards would post 8 losing seasons in a row and not win another playoff game for 10 years.

I know Plummer was a weird guy. Still he had that 4th quarter magic about him until Dollar Bill broke his spirit. I believe the Cards would have contended for several more years had the team not have been gutted.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I got a message asking which destructive effort was the worst of those I eluded to seeing.

In 1998 the Cards not only made the playoffs but beat the Cowboys in the first playoff game in Dallas. Following the season the Cards thanked their fans by releasing Lomas Brown, Jamir Miller and Larry Centers. Brown, an OT, was at the end of his career but was still serviceable and had solidified the Cards’ line. He was, however, continually maligned by several board trolls. Miller signed with Cleveland. A recent article named Miller among the 5 greatest free agent signings in Browns’ history. He had just blossomed into one of the top LBs in the league and Dollar Bill refused to pay him. Centers, often called the heart and soul of the Cards in those days, went to Washington and continued to play at a solid level. The Cards fell to 6-10 and instead of contending and developing Plummer the Cards coach, Vince Tobin, was fired. Totally disheartened the Cards would post 8 losing seasons in a row and not win another playoff game for 10 years.

I know Plummer was a weird guy. Still he had that 4th quarter magic about him until Dollar Bill broke his spirit. I believe the Cards would have contended for several more years had the team not have been gutted.

the rest of the story....

after the 1998 season where Plummer showed great promise -- he was given a gigantic contract extension: $6mm a year with a $15mm signing bonus (both were very large back then) at a time when the cap was $57mm. Since the Cardinals were so cash poor back then, the "real" cap for the Cards was likely lower.

the problem was this: Bill Bidwill Jr (Mike's brother) negotiated and agreed to the contract without ever telling Bob Ferguson the GM. The contract sucked up cap space, and worse, the signing bonus maxed out the cash poor Cardinals.

as a result, the above happened.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
the rest of the story....

after the 1998 season where Plummer showed great promise -- he was given a gigantic contract extension: $6mm a year with a $15mm signing bonus (both were very large back then) at a time when the cap was $57mm. Since the Cardinals were so cash poor back then, the "real" cap for the Cards was likely lower.

the problem was this: Bill Bidwill Jr (Mike's brother) negotiated and agreed to the contract without ever telling Bob Ferguson the GM. The contract sucked up cap space, and worse, the signing bonus maxed out the cash poor Cardinals.

as a result, the above happened.

It’s important to understand how Cards did contracts in those days. They opposed what they called “bells & whistles.” While the rest of the league was grabbing free agents by using incentives that didn’t have an immediate cap hits, the Cards worked at a major disadvantage. They had no cap guy and simply didn’t believe in manipulation.

It was indeed a bad contract and in fact it was the largest in NFL history. Even dumber, Plummer wasn’t a free agent. He still had a year left on the $1.6mil contract he signed after being selected in the second round. Oddly this happened only 24 hours after the regular season ended. Plummer was charged up and played phenomenal in the win against the Cowboys.

Sadly, shortly thereafter Bidwill decimated Plummer’s offense and it took going to Denver for him to eventually recover somewhat. How good was Plummer? Prior signing the contract Plummer had led the team to 8 wins when they entered the fourth quarter tied or behind. I will always believe he could have developed into being a top QB given the proper motivation, coaching and surrounding cast.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are one great draft pick away from everyone moving on and forgetting the disfunction.

Its the NFL, teams change like the wind.

Honestly, all of this crap going on is a great reason to "reset".

Trade Watson, and if you hit on a QB and he turns into a star, your fan base will come back.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
They are one great draft pick away from everyone moving on and forgetting the disfunction.

Its the NFL, teams change like the wind.

Honestly, all of this crap going on is a great reason to "reset".

Trade Watson, and if you hit on a QB and he turns into a star, your fan base will come back.
Watson trade ain't happening now, though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen it up close - the 2012 Ken Whiz-n-punt Cardinals.

You must be registered for see images attach