Currently, What do you Fear most regarding the Cards and the Upcoming Season?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
To me it that we begin the season without a really solid run game and have to rely on the pass too much. I will hate it if that happens. I am strong on drafting a CB in R1, but would sacrifice even that if necessary to get us a long term stud at RB. I don't see us winning very much without a run game that is a weekly concern to our opposing teams.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am afraid Green doesn't pan out and we are in trouble at WR. Doesn't look like much help in the passing game from the TE position either. We will address the RB position in the draft.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1. CB/secondary play is so bad we can't stop anyone in the air and end up in shootouts that we don't have the offensive firepower to win.
2. RB play is either terrible or Chase wears down and becomes less effective as the season wears on.

These things are inexorably linked, though. We have to get ourselves into a situation as a team where Kyler isn't responsible for 100% of our success.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. CB/secondary play is so bad we can't stop anyone in the air and end up in shootouts that we don't have the offensive firepower to win.
2. RB play is either terrible or Chase wears down and becomes less effective as the season wears on.

These things are inexorably linked, though. We have to get ourselves into a situation as a team where Kyler isn't responsible for 100% of our success.

I’m sorry, but I just don’t know how you think this secondary is going to be so bad, especially after today’s signing. Butler just gave us an UPGRADE over Peterson who was one of the worst CBs in football last year. And our other starting CB was even WORSE. If we picked up a Kirkpatrick late in training camp, I.T ain’t gonna be hard to find a replacement level player of his stature or lack thereof.

Reality is last year we had two of the worst starting CBs in football and we still didn’t lose because of shootouts with that duo manning the CB position. So why would we this year when we’ve already upgraded one position, still have the draft and FA after to find another to replace Kirkpatrick’s craptastic ass, combined with what should be just as good of a pass rush, if if not better if Watt stays healthy?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff's scheme and play calling

You can have all the talent in the world but the elephant in the room is that our offensive scheme isn't very good. It's not in the same universe as McVay or Shanahan.

The plays that get mentioned like the "look at me" TD against the Seahawks are a distraction from the fact that it's a very basic, rather unimaginative scheme 99% of the time that puts almost everything on the players. It's a turd partially covered in glitter and we only ever talk about the glitter.

Then you have Kliff's play calling. Kyler just came back on the field with a leg injury? Let's call a speed option. 1st and goal on the 2 yard line? Let's run 3 consecutive A gap runs and fall short. Need a TD to confirm the win? Let's play conservative and try a 49 yard FG instead.

Need a backup QB? Let's role with this guy that couldn't even start in the CFL with zero NFL experience over an experienced vet who has never let us down when asked to come in before.

Talent didn't cost us the playoffs last year. Kliff did. That's not to say we were uber talented, far from it, but we had enough. Unless Kliff get's better it doesn't matter what talent we add.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1)The CB's has been replaced so are u referring about CBS plays last season, safeties are good
Butler is good and a cb will be drafted, passrush improved too with jj and Jones back, so I expect the cb unit being adequate

2) Edmonds isn't a primary back, we will get a starter by draft or free agency

3) kyler after 2 season on his back will continue improving, I expect a WR addition by draft, some shifty guys with great hands

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worry about team health more than anything, we have so many older guys we are counting on that have a history of injuries.
Definitely is the biggest concern, but the same can be about every teams
Age isn't always the reason for being injury plagued, lot of guys struggle to stay healthy since their young age
Its a physical sport and injuries often happens

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Our success or failure teeters on the edge of a sword. Do the old guys lead the charge of a successful campaign or do they fall by the wayside leaving us utterly defeated?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but I just don’t know how you think this secondary is going to be so bad, especially after today’s signing. Butler just gave us an UPGRADE over Peterson who was one of the worst CBs in football last year. And our other starting CB was even WORSE. If we picked up a Kirkpatrick late in training camp, I.T ain’t gonna be hard to find a replacement level player of his stature or lack thereof.

Reality is last year we had two of the worst starting CBs in football and we still didn’t lose because of shootouts with that duo manning the CB position. So why would we this year when we’ve already upgraded one position, still have the draft and FA after to find another to replace Kirkpatrick’s craptastic ass, combined with what should be just as good of a pass rush, if if not better if Watt stays healthy?

This.

What we had on the field last year was subpar. How anyone could say what we have now is worse, is beyond me.
Having JJ Watt and Chandler Jones back on the line makes the defensive front 10 times better than last year. That in of itself will make the defensive backfield better off.
Peterson was horrible last year, so anything is an upgrade (i.e. Butler). Kirkpatrick was average at best. If they can get even a serviceable #2 we are good. If Alford stays healthy for once, so much the better. And Murphy has shown flashes of being good, so I'm not worried there.

My biggest fear would be Kyler getting hurt again. He will be the key to success.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My fear is that there becomes a power struggle between veteran players that demand accountability like Watt and Hudson and Kliff...who doesnt.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure Kliff would have a real problem with veteran leaders policing the room. :shrug:

No, like I said...the fear is a power struggle. The "Leaders" we had the last 2 years couldn't do it. Larry, PP, Peters....whoever else was a "veteran leader" on this team couldn't get accountability from players...we were the most penalized team in the league...but worse, couldn't seem to push Kliff in a direction to force a change either. You would have assumed he would have had the support of those players.

Now we bring in guys like Watt and Hudson, who are known as highly influential guys, but they are coming to a new team. How are they going to respond to a coach that has been known his entire career for mental mistakes and penalties. How do those things co-exist?

I guess my real fear is the guys like Watt and Hudson will see right through KK, and he will become a joke coach.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
By the age of the team I worry about the deterioration of eye sight, onset of arthritis and also hip injuries... but at least they are all in the priority group for covid jabs at their age, so every cloud
8/8

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson