Mason Cole traded for 6th rounder

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fantastic. When Hudson gets hurt, who is playing center? Streveler?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
keim makes me crazy sometimes too, but i think a collective deep breath is needed

most draft picks fail. period. no matter the GM, its true. even in the first round, its true (failure here defined as "no second contract") The number of drafted players / UDFAs every year relative to roster sizes pretty much guarantees this.

per PFF, the best drafting team over the last five years has been the KC Chiefs (passes the eye test as well).

they have 2 players left from the 2018 draft, only one could be considered a contributor.

as a benchmark, getting two players a year from your draft that contribute is pretty solid

to be clear: this isnt saying Keim is a good drafter. he isnt. What he is: a drafter like 25 other GMs whose results are based on draft randomness rather than skill.
I don't have the article in front of me, but Keim is actually dramatically worse than all of the other GMs in the league at drafting in the past 5 years. He is in dead last.

Trading away his 3rd rounder from just 3 years ago probably doesn't push up his rank.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, for now, I think.

Hudson never misses so not a big concern.

Cardinals probably going to pick up another random UFA or cheap vet to compete with Lamont

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I have feeling it's all done smith we are after.

He won't cost anything, though...He'd be a good rotation guy...He wasn't in full season shape after the long layoff last year and kinda flamed out the last 5 or 6 weeks...but he sure started hot for Dallas.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally unbelievable. I can't for the life of me understand how Keim still has a job. I genuinely have to think that literally a fan could draft better at this point.

When do we move on from the concept of sunk cost fallacy and move to "Keim needs to go?"

You’re being a little overdramatic here… Straight up “stars” get traded for draft pick pennies on the dollar and it happens regularly in this league... Much less a journeyman offensive lineman who wasn’t living up to his billing. We lucky we got anything.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We turned a 3rd round pick in 2018 to a 6th round pick.

All that is left from the 2018 draft is Kirk and Edmonds.

Drafted too early. Here’s what I said 4/2018, “I had Cole later in the draft. Michigan is a great school for linemen. He’ll make the team as a guy who can play anywhere on the line for a few plays. He’s not talented enough to ever be a starter IMO. Not a terrible pick, but better players were on the board.”

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drafted too early. Here’s what I said 4/2018, “I had Cole later in the draft. Michigan is a great school for linemen. He’ll make the team as a guy who can play anywhere on the line for a few plays. He’s not talented enough to ever be a starter IMO. Not a terrible pick, but better players were on the board.”

Nailed that one geez

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was right on

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You’re being a little overdramatic here… Straight up “stars” get traded for draft pick pennies on the dollar and it happens regularly in this league... Much less a journeyman offensive lineman who wasn’t living up to his billing. We lucky we got anything.
I have no issue with the compensation we received. Better than nothing. I care that Keim has 59 draft picks under his belt and has managed to keep 19 on the roster. And that's being kind and keeping Evan Weaver and Markus Golden in the mix even though they've previously been cut or moved to other teams.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with the compensation we received. Better than nothing. I care that Keim has 59 draft picks under his belt and has managed to keep 19 on the roster. And that's being kind and keeping Evan Weaver and Markus Golden in the mix even though they've previously been cut or moved to other teams.

It's the NFL. Players get cut and/or players move on.

Look at the Patriots. All nine of the Patriots draft picks from 2016 are on another team or out of the league. Only 1 player left on the Patriots from the 2017 draft. Only 3 of 9 left on the Patriots from the 2018 draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's the NFL. Players get cut and/or players move on.

Look at the Patriots. All nine of the Patriots draft picks from 2016 are on another team or out of the league. Only 1 player left on the Patriots from the 2017 draft. Only 3 of 9 left on the Patriots from the 2018 draft.
Yes, it's the NFL and players move on. You realize Keim is dead last in the past four years in this, right? It's not like I'm overreacting to a guy who is in the middle of the pack, he's the worst in the NFL for draft results.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last in every category. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-historical-draft-success-for-all-32-nfl-teams

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yes, it's the NFL and players move on. You realize Keim is dead last in the past four years in this, right? It's not like I'm overreacting to a guy who is in the middle of the pack, he's the worst in the NFL for draft results.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last in every category. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-historical-draft-success-for-all-32-nfl-teams

from the same article -- (which is awesome btw):

"ARE SOME TEAMS BETTER AT EVALUATING COLLEGE PLAYERS?
The analysis we performed is purely descriptive — it explains what happened. The next questions pose themselves naturally: Does this mean Jason Licht and his scouts are superior talent evaluators? What about Chris Ballard or Mickey Loomis?

The answer to these questions is probably no.

Money Quote from the linked: " the overall point is that the teams' rankings can be explained entirely by chance. ""

this isnt defending Keim -- its pointing out that draft is highly random and the GMs who did well on this, fared poorly when looking at other stretches of their tenure

there is more randomness to the draft than GMs want to admit (because they wouldnt be paid millions for it)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
3rd rounder for a 6th rounder. That's like 50% depreciation in 3 years, same as buying a brand new Audi, Infiniti, BMW, Volvo, or Mercedes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA